Toyota Supra to be launched in 2019 under Gazoo performance brand GR / GRMN related topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
A little off topic but nice to see;

Win marks first N.A. victory for RC F GT3 since joining IMSA in 2017. Lexus will next compete at Detroit’s Raceway at Belle Isle Park, June 2. We are so excited and proud of 3GT Racing, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and all four of the 3GT Racing drivers,” said Jeff Bracken, group VP and general manager, Lexus Division. “While it was two drivers that won in the RC F GT3 today with Dominik and Kyle, really it’s all four of our drivers, including Jack(Hawksworth) and David (Heinemeier Hansson), which really put us in a position to win in just the third race of our second season.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Cool videos.

Nur24h 2018 results for Toyota:
Category SP3 - Toyota GT86 (Gazoo/GRMN) Finished 2nd-3rd-4th-6th
Category SP8 - Lexus RCF 2nd place, Lexus ISF CCS-R 3rd place
Category SP-Pro - Lexus LC (Gazoo/GRMN) 1st place

We will surely see the GRMN Supra racing here in a few years.

RCF

LEXUS-RC-F-GT3-02.jpg

LC:

001.jpg

ISF CCR-R

endurance-24-hours-of-nurburgring-2018-43-novel-racing-lexus-isf-ccs-r-tohjiro-azuma-yoshi.jpg

Patchaaron

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, corolla
Nah. Manuals can suck it in stop and go traffic. 1st 2nd 1st 2nd 1st 2nd....

A true DCT is a fucking marvel of engineering.
I highly suggest you guys go test drive a 718 or a 911. It's free. You'll complete change your opinion on it.

The internet is notorious for hating DCTs and praising manuals, yet sales numbers say otherwise.

I'm all for manuals existing. A back country road with no one else really makes it shine and enjoyable. But that's not realistic everyday driving for many of us and the ability to go into to auto when i go to the city is very attractive.

That's my personal opinion though.
Late response but living in LA I have to agree that in traffic uphill for an hour and a half.. manual gets really old really fast. why I switched from commuting a manual accord to a auto corolla and now a Prius C. that being said, I have those cars for commuting reasons and would never intend to but 120 miles a day on a supra for commuting. I'd love for the supra to be a manual but if its not I'm still going to be very interested.

Patchaaron

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, corolla
WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT NASCAR ON THE GRMN THREAD OF A SUPRA FORUM. 50 bucks that aasbo runs one in FD either 2019 or 2020.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
New information turned out! Toyota's new model Vitz was renamed "Yaris" and appeared in 2019!

Current type (third generation) Vitz 's debut is December 2010. It is a selling compact car class, it is a world strategy car widely deployed in Europe, but seven and a half have already passed since it first appeared.

Although this compact class has long-modeled rivals, it is expected that development of the next term model should have advanced soon .... In the place like that, the development information of a new type jumped in under the best car scoop information group It was.
 Below, I would like to deliver that information in detail.

Restoration of the hot hatch that is spreading globally
 Speaking of young people 's sports model, it was "Hot Hatch" based on 2 BOX. In the 1980's, the 3 rd generation Starlet was equipped with a turbo, and at the same time a city turbo and Chardy Detomaso appeared. Hot hatch, because it is based on a compact hatchback car, is affordable and highly practical, yet it also has the ability to lose the sports car, it gained high popularity at the time.

But as approaching 1990, the young people of those days moved to sports coupes like Silvia and Roadster. In addition, expensive high-performance sports such as Supra, Fairlady Z, GT-R, RX-7 became the yearning personality.

However, recently attention to sports models based on compact hatchbacks is on the rise.

Domestic cars have swift sports and notes NISMO, but the number is still small. But looking overseas, VW Polo GTI and Fiat 500 based Abarth are no longer standard in this category, last year Renault Twingo's high-performance version of "GT" appeared. In addition, there are also Rutecia RS and Peugeot 208 GTi, etc. European compact hatch has very attractive sports grade set, and the car type is substantial.

The European compact hatch is a grade composition with the sports model as the top grade, raising the attractiveness of the whole model.

And now, Toyota is trying to do with the next model of Vitz.

■ New Vitz revised Yaris, design turns out!
 According to the information grabbed by the best car magazine this time, the next term Vitz renamed it. Rename it to the world-unified "Yaris".

In addition, this time we got new information of the next type further.

First of all, the design was fully discovered.

%E6%96%B0%E3%83%A4%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9F.jpg

This time, the design is fully discovered. A large front grill and a body line with edges in some places are adopted, and the standard model is reborn into a sporty design

The front mask is characterized by adopting a powerful large grill which is common with the new type Corolla hatchback published in North America in March. The character line which wraps around from the rear fender to the back side is also impressive. Its body size is standard car with total length 3940 × full width 1695 × total height 1475 mm. The sports model will be a 3 number wide body.

And this sports model is the "GR" model in which know-how in motor sports was introduced, becoming the most noticeable grade in the next model.

For the present, Toyota is currently participating in WRC at Yaris, but in fact it is aimed to make use of this WRC image to the commercial Yaris. Therefore, the presence of the sports model "GR" deeply involved in motor sports is important.

Also, I got more details about onboard engines. All NA cars are in-line 3 cylinders, 1L, 1.3L, 1.5L are prepared as standard model engines, and the combined transmission is CVT.

%E6%96%B0%E5%9E%8B%E3%83%A4%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9R.jpg

The view from the rear is a feature on the design line that leads to turn around from the rear fender to the rear hatch. Appearance is prevalent at the end of 2019

A hybrid is also set up, and this is 1.5L + THS which is the same as conventional Aqua. In addition to FF, HV 4WD of the same system as Prius is also prepared.

The sports model's GR is equipped with a 1.6 l three-cylinder turbo. There is information that transmission is combined with 6-speed MT, and newly developed high-power compatible AT.

For debut, the standard model is expected to be the end of 2019, GR to be delayed by about 1 year to 2020. In addition, the sports model is also planning a GRMN model that expands the tuning range to the engine and can enjoy more extreme running, so this is also expected.

%E6%96%B0%E3%83%A4%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9GR.jpg

The "GR" specification of the sports model is equipped with a newly developed 1.6L straight 3 turbo. It adopts wide fender and it becomes 3 number size. Yaris which wins the WRC (World Rally Championship) is a model that strongly reflects "its image" in the new model

Speaking of Vitz, the first model appeared in 1999 (as a successor to Starlet), and the third generation, which is the current type, was born in December 2010. It has been progressing steadily since then for seven and a half years, but here I am going to compete with the car name "Yaris" to fully demonstrate its role as a world strategic car.

I would like to inform you on this issue as soon as a follow-up report is received.
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/2855

Reactions: HKz

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-gr-sports-sub-brand-launch-imminent-114015/

Toyota GR sports sub-brand launch imminent

Hotter HiLux, Corolla and Supra to form basis of Toyota Gazoo Racing performance brand in Australia

Mercedes has AMG, BMW has M, Audi has RS, the Blue Oval has Ford Performance and, soon, Toyota will join them by introducing an entire family of performance models under the Gazoo Racing (GR) sports sub-brand.

The first Toyota GR model to be launched in Australia will be the born-again Toyota Supra coupein the second half of next year, but the performance sub-brand could eventually grow to include new-generation Yaris and Corolla hot hatches, the next Toyota 86, a hot HiLux GR and a hypercar based on Toyota’s Le Mans-winning TS050 hybrid racer.

Speaking at this week’s Australian launch of the new Toyota Corolla hatch, the Japanese brand’s local sales and marketing chief Sean Hanley was reluctant to talk about specific models, but he confirmed the Toyota GR performance brand will be launched in Australia “in the near future”.

Hanley made it clear that Toyota GR would be Toyota Australia’s belated replacement for the TRD (Toyota Racing Development) performance brand, which is still active in North America but was unceremoniously axed in Australia in late 2008 after briefly being used to market higher-output supercharged V6 versions of the HiLux and Aurion.

“Any sort of sports performance car that Toyota brings out in the future will more than likely be branded under GR or Gazoo Racing brand, so not under what you would know as TRD,” he said.

“I won’t comment on what’s happening in the US because that’s a different market, but I will comment on Australia.

“We haven’t launched GR in Australia yet, but at some point in time that maybe something that we will do [laughs].

“So we don’t have an announcement on GR today but you never know at some point.”

Toyota Gazoo Racing is the Japanese car-maker’s motorsport and road car division in Japan and Europe, where it runs the company’s World Rally Championship and, in conjunction with Toyota Motorsport GmbH, its World Endurance Championship outfit.

Toyota also offers a range of GR-enhanced showroom models in Japan, including the 86, Vitz/Yaris, Prius, Aqua, Mark X, Noah and Voxy.

Toyota has already commenced a ‘soft launch’ of the GR brand Down Under, where Harry Bates’ Australian Rally Championship racer wears Gazoo Racing colours.

Toyota’s new Supra was revealed in racing form as the GR Supra Racing Concept (pictured) at this year’s Geneva motor show, and then in production form at the Goodwood Festival of Speed wearing GR-themed camouflage.

The production version is expected to make its global debut at the Detroit motor show in January, before being rolled out globally next year, including in Australia in the second half of 2019.

Asked whether the launches of the new Toyota Supra and the Toyota GR brand were linked, Hanley said: “In the near future we’ll be announcing some plans around what we intend to do with sports cars and with Gazoo.”

Hanley confirmed that if Toyota produced a higher-performance version of its top-selling HiLux, which is currently topped by the HiLux Rogue and Rugged X, it would be badged as a Toyota HiLux GR.

“It [GR] would include HiLux if we were to do a [hotter] HiLux,” he said.

“There’s a whole mass of opportunity for GR in Australia and in the foreseeable future it will become clear to everyone what GR means for us.”

Toyota Australia’s sales and marketing boss indicated the next-generation Toyota 86, which is also yet to be officially confirmed, would also be part of the Gazoo Racing family.

Although Hanley was cautious not to confirm a second-generation Toyota 86, he said the company’s decision to continue the Toyota 86 Racing Series alongside the Australian Supercars Championship for a further three years was a strong indication there will be a replacement for Toyota’s compact coupe.

“There’s no announcements on 86 at this point,” he said. “It’s an important car to our line-up. It’s expected to continue. We’ve just signed up for another three years with Supercars, so I hope it does.”

At the other end of the Toyota GR sports coupe line-up will be the road-legal hypercar based on the Le Mans-winning TS050 race car that’s been confirmed for production. As previewed by the wild GR Super Sport Concept, Toyota’s flagship performance model will be inspired by the car-maker’s 735kW 2.4-litre V6-powered LMP1 racer.

Far more accessible for Australians will be a hot hatch version of the new Corolla, which Hanley told us in April was a strong chance for Australia.

“It’s not impossible we could get a really nice Corolla or other type of car, and if that opportunity arose through our Gazoo Racing development we would put our hand up for it,” he said at the time.

“I’d like to see it as soon as possible, but in the next three years I wouldn’t rule out the possibility or probability of something coming under the Gazoo Racing brand.”

Speaking at this week’s 2018 Toyota Corolla hatch launch, however, chief engineer Yasushi Ueda went further, all but confirming a hotter version of the new Corolla to rival Volkswagen’s iconic Golf GTI.

“It’s not officially planned yet, [but we are] talking with Gazoo Racing and personally I would like to see it. Unfortunately, not from launch,” he said.

Ueda-san was fairly unequivocal about what badging the first Toyota Corolla hot hatch in generations will wear.

“We are discussing naming brand… currently it’s GR, but depends on market,” he said.

Asked if the relatively new 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder that produces up to 180kW/350Nm in the Lexus IS, RC, GS, NX and RX would be a suitable engine for the Toyota Corolla GR, Ueda said: “Different platform – bigger – but has to be investigated.”

Whichever engine Toyota chooses for its Corolla hot hatch, Ueda-san agreed it would need to deliver at least 200kW to compete with direct rivals like the VW Golf GTI and Hyundai i30 N.

Slotting underneath the Corolla GR at the bottom of Australia’s Toyota GR model range should be a hot hatch version of the next-generation Yaris, which is expected to debut soon, to replace the existing Europe-only Yaris GRMN powered by a circa-155kW supercharged 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
My take from the unconfirmed detail thread is that it will be called either Toyota GR Supra or GR Supra in the states.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
My take from the unconfirmed detail thread is that it will be called either Toyota GR Supra or GR Supra in the states.
While it is possible, I would not expect anything GR-related in North America yet.

Expect TRD branding here before anything GR.

Jeff

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yep, the GR concept hasn't made an appearance in the US for one of a few reasons, and that is one at the fore front.

I'd expect TRD or possibly just Toyota Supra. The executives have not budged an inch on that and even the interview just posted makes a slight mention of it.

Then again, Akio could just force it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.