Toyota Supra vs Honda Civic Type R

brugadathug

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Anyone consider a civic type r before the Supra?

I know they are both very different cars but just curious. Did not consider it before given the crazy mark ups in CA but I have a chance to get one at MSRP.
Sponsored

He_drives

First Name
Fayadh aldoseri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk iv supra, r35 Gtr , ap2 s2000, s14 Silvia , gd sti, grb sti, 997.2 gt3, w12 C-GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was for 2 main reasons the manual transmission and usability of a hatchback unfortunately the type R wasn't and still isn't available in our country

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
I know they are both very different cars but just curious. Did not consider it before given the crazy mark ups in CA but I have a chance to get one at MSRP.
Owned an R for over two years, traded in for the A91. What's MSRP at for them now, 36?

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
These cars imho are not in the same class .
1. Price point
2. You donā€™t see many Supras
3. The supra is sexy - the civic is civic looking
I love Honda/Acura have owned both but my Supra is an incredible car to look at and more importantly drive .

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I love the Type R, but not as a replacement to the Supra. It would be a stable mate. It's a phenomenal car and I applaud Honda on the aggressive styling. Something Subaru with it's current "Camry with a wing STI" can learn from. As well as other companies.
But the R and Supra have NOTHING in common so no, it was never an option for me.

Cousindeagle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
92 NSX
I was hunting down the Limited Edition before buying the wife a 21. I just wanted something yellow but they wanted some ridiculous price for it

brugadathug

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Actually, this is a great question. I looked at the Civic R, but couldn't get past all the boy racer stuff on it. It drives really well, though.
Yeahhhh thatā€™s where Iā€™m at right now. I drove my friends CTR and it was a realllly good drive. Just not sure I can get past the looks of it.
Love the looks for the Supra and especially since deals can be had. Practicality is not a big deal to me as I have a Honda Fit.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Yeahhhh thatā€™s where Iā€™m at right now. I drove my friends CTR and it was a realllly good drive. Just not sure I can get past the looks of it.
Love the looks for the Supra and especially since deals can be had. Practicality is not a big deal to me as I have a Honda Fit.
It's a great car, and arguably worth every penny of its sticker. If you want a multi-purpose, manual gear box, engaging hatch back that can scoot, handle in a way that exudes confidence in the pouring rain, but also loads up a home depot trip or the dogs, friends, or a bunch of shit for a road trip...it's perfect.

The supra is none of those things, and is why I love it.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Test drove one a year or so ago when I was just getting into cars and I was surprised at just how fun and quick it was. I prefer the A90 however. I'd actually like to see a Type-R do a lap with an A90, the former makes less power but also weighs a bit less.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Not the best one, but your wish is my command lol

290hp on dynoJet dyno vs 339hp
Supra will win a drag race, if launched probably, theoretically, but on short tracks, i bet fwd Type R would win due to less drama
Sponsored