TPMS fault when changing tires

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT Supra, Lotus Exige S260, Porsche GT3
I just got new tires for my Supra. TPMS worked fine before. I had to tell it to "start learning" and it gets up to 49% and stops there - says there is a malfunction.
It can't be a coincidence that I just got new tires - I suppose its possible Discount Tire messed up the TPMS sensor but I'm assuming that that isn't the case (if I have to, I'll be taking back to them).

I tried 3x to try to get the car to recognize and each time it wouldn't - always got up to 49% and then get this malfunction. I also had the car stored over night and tried again in the morning - same problem.

Suggestions?
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Car(s)
All Things Toyota
I just got new tires for my Supra. TPMS worked fine before. I had to tell it to "start learning" and it gets up to 49% and stops there - says there is a malfunction.
It can't be a coincidence that I just got new tires - I suppose its possible Discount Tire messed up the TPMS sensor but I'm assuming that that isn't the case (if I have to, I'll be taking back to them).

I tried 3x to try to get the car to recognize and each time it wouldn't - always got up to 49% and then get this malfunction. I also had the car stored over night and tried again in the morning - same problem.

Suggestions?
We apologize for your recent experience with your TPMS sensors. We would like to look further in to this to make sure you're taken care of. Hope you don't mind us sending a DM.

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, I thought I had this fixed but unfortunately not. I've been back to Discount Tire 4 times. Here's the scenario:

Car: 19" wheels. Replaced tires with same size. So that part shouldn't be a problem.

Recognition: as mentioned, gets to 49% and then "TPMS malfunction". I've tried to do it "manual" and "automatic" mode and not much difference.

Today had an interesting situation - I went for a much longer drive and noticed that the tire warning light was out. I went to the display and voila, there were my temps and pressures. Woohoo! Or so I thought. About a minute later (this is still driving by the way), the whole thing went to the TPMS malfunction screen.

Also, in the past and again today, I went back to Discount Tire and they have a portable scanner they can hold to the valve stem. They did that and the scanner claimed everything was good.

They even went as far as the other day going to the dealer to order an entirely new sensor (only 1 - there was a wheel where the valve stem had been bent by them on the install so they got a new one from the dealer with TPMS). No dice, same behavior.

The car just ticked over 3K miles. All they did was replace the tires. Now its entirely possible that another sensor got mucked up in the process but their scanner isn't reporting that. There was nothing wrong before I replaced the tires.

I think they and I are at our wit's end on this.

I am going to try one more thing tomorrow - set the tires using the manual method and set tire to 'other'. I don't see why that would be necessary as the new tires (while a different brand) are the exact same size as the stock. And just in case you are wondering, we even tried playing with air pressure to get it higher in case it thought it was too low. I don't see how that would be a problem for a malfunction anyway - a warning light of too low would be fine - if that were the case - but its showing malfunction.

I saw another poster seemed to have had this issue but not the flakiness that I'm having and I have tried everything other than standing on my head to try to reset the system and get this to work.

This is annoyng because I do track my car and while I always check air pressures during the day, it would be really nice to be able to rely on TPMS (plus it has temps which is really cool and beneficial for setting air pressure).

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gotta get them reprogrammed I’d say. Mine did the same, shop struggled for an hour or two and eventually I reset it on manual mode and it worked.
Biggest key is to clear codes!! It won’t work unless you clear codes. I’d try that before heading back

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I went from the stock 19" to 20" and added oem sensors. I went through the same process (had to note the revised tire and rim size). The system cycled as you described... after driving about 3 miles and all registered accordingly without any further issues.

I would guess perhaps a sensor is damaged in your case or a hard reset is needed. I hope the tire store aids with the remedy.

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tried that - set to 'other' thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately not. It took a lot longer this time as it was essentially a hard reset. Stayed on 0% for a long time, then 1% then finally went up to the dreaded 49% and, voila, back to the same: TPMS sensor malfunction error message.

I talked to Discount Tire today - they said they talked to someone involved on the sensor side and they said to try something that they will try for me tomorrow morning. I have no idea what it is. I'm not hopefully as I've literally tried everything I can think of.

Whats really annoying is that the sensors read fine to their TPMS scan tool and I don't think they replaced any of the other sensors so unless they broke a sensor somehow inside, the only other conclusion one would logically come to is that there is something wrong on the car side of the equation. However, I seriously doubt that - everything worked fine until I changed tires and the car only has 3K miles on it and is brand new.

Discount Tire

Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Car(s)
All Things Toyota
Tried that - set to 'other' thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately not. It took a lot longer this time as it was essentially a hard reset. Stayed on 0% for a long time, then 1% then finally went up to the dreaded 49% and, voila, back to the same: TPMS sensor malfunction error message.

I talked to Discount Tire today - they said they talked to someone involved on the sensor side and they said to try something that they will try for me tomorrow morning. I have no idea what it is. I'm not hopefully as I've literally tried everything I can think of.

Whats really annoying is that the sensors read fine to their TPMS scan tool and I don't think they replaced any of the other sensors so unless they broke a sensor somehow inside, the only other conclusion one would logically come to is that there is something wrong on the car side of the equation. However, I seriously doubt that - everything worked fine until I changed tires and the car only has 3K miles on it and is brand new.
We apologize for your recent experience. We would like to look further in to this to make sure you're taken care of. Hope you don't mind us sending a DM.

onimk5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra

Did you ever figure out the fix? Seems i might be having the same exact issue you were/are. Everything youve described matches my tpm malfunction scenario too.

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
At the request of Discount Tire, I had taken the car to the dealer. I told them to go through each sensor. They eventually found another sensor that was slightly cracked (assuming that it cracked while installing in the new tire). The sad part was that it sometimes worked and often enough that it was hard to repro. I am now wrangling with Discount Tire to pay for their faulty work.

Discount Tire

Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Car(s)
All Things Toyota
At the request of Discount Tire, I had taken the car to the dealer. I told them to go through each sensor. They eventually found another sensor that was slightly cracked (assuming that it cracked while installing in the new tire). The sad part was that it sometimes worked and often enough that it was hard to repro. I am now wrangling with Discount Tire to pay for their faulty work.
I am happy to hear that the root cause has been identified. I want to help with this. Sending a DM now!

BrodoFratgins

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra MT
So ultimately once the cracked sensor was replaced you were good to go? Sorry to revive the old thread, but I'm dealing with the same issue on stock tires and wheels that's been driving me mad.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
So ultimately once the cracked sensor was replaced you were good to go? Sorry to revive the old thread, but I'm dealing with the same issue on stock tires and wheels that's been driving me mad.
Sir you have ESRs now. So cut it with the "Im stock" victim attitude. Otherwise your punishment is to be the sole responder to any and all new oil threads.

OP
OP

srwhitman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Um, I have no idea what ESR is but yes, once I got the TPMS sensor fixed, I was good to go. I still have to get Discount Tire to pay for their mistake though.
Sponsored