Traction Control

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
This isn't really an effective way tbh. Racing sim setups are somewhat pricey and you don't get any haptic feedback that's involved with drifting unless you have a $20k+ professional setup.

I'd rather recommend checking the event schedules at a local autoX or race track; some will have skid pads or other setups to learn in a car.
$300 for a Logitech wheel and $20 for Assetto Corsa šŸ‘Œ
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Iā€™m a single press type of guy. When you get sideways from a 40 roll mash thats plenty to get the blood pumping

-RJM

OP
OP
Grumpy Aznguy

Grumpy Aznguy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium
Thank you all for the feedback you guys, itā€™s really helpful information. You guys are the best. šŸ‘šŸ™

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
$300 for a Logitech wheel and $20 for Assetto Corsa šŸ‘Œ
A wheel and a screen doesn't transmit the same amount of feedback a car does. You can't feel the grip you have on the road, imperfections like potholes, the camber of the corner, or the weight transfer of the car. Not unless you spend several thousand on a professional grade simulator.

Also +$1250 for a PC that could reliably support a racing sim.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
A wheel and a screen doesn't transmit the same amount of feedback a car does. You can't feel the grip you have on the road, imperfections like potholes, the camber of the corner, or the weight transfer of the car. Not unless you spend several thousand on a professional grade simulator.

Look I donā€™t disagree with anything you said, except that I do believe for someone just trying to learn the basics itā€™s a lot cheaper than sliding around the Supra. Tires cost a lot more over time than a nice setup even would.

nothing will really give you the real experience but for those guys that are petrified to turn of TC, itā€™s a great cheap start.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
You can watch me spin out on a road course in this video :)

I run with one click off and was doing fine counter steering/drifting
until- the Nanny said enough and tried to correct my correction.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
You can watch me spin out on a road course in this video :)

I run with one click off and was doing fine counter steering/drifting
until- the Nanny said enough and tried to correct my correction.
Lol I heard that extra breath you took after the spin out. Close one, did you have all nannies off? Powered too hard into the curve and tried to hold your line?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol I heard that extra breath you took after the spin out. Close one, did you have all nannies off? Powered too hard into the curve and tried to hold your line?

Had one click off. Friend in front w a new to him GT4 we take turns lead follow and videos for fun. I gave it too much gas and usually i immediately correct (let off and let rear come back). Decided to carry a drift- kind of showing off. It is possibly, the safest place to go off on the whole track. So a lot of us goof off through there

It was weird and very big learning experience with the Supra. If you want to REALLY fool around turn everything off.
With one click off it lets you slide some- for sure. But it was like the one last Nanny said ok that is enough and the car tried to correct while i was trying to intentionally drift. Felt like she applied brake to the front wheel and around i went :)

On my little Youtube channel there is a vid from the rear camera too.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma

It still provides muscle memory and good habits with no risk. Yes the dynamics of being in a car are very different but it gives you the ability to feel what a slide is like in the wheel itself. Iā€™d argue that Assetto Corsa doesnā€™t model this well but I wonā€™t start that argument.

There have been a few 100% sim racers that have gotten a racecar seat and they are wildly fast for having zero actual seat time.

In aviation we use non motion sims for training all the time. They are not a replacement for actual but they do allow us to build good habits which is very important. These sims have zero force feedback as well yet the FAA still approves them for training and currency.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Had one click off. Friend in front w a new to him GT4 we take turns lead follow and videos for fun. I gave it too much gas and usually i immediately correct (let off and let rear come back). Decided to carry a drift- kind of showing off. It is possibly, the safest place to go off on the whole track. So a lot of us goof off through there

It was weird and very big learning experience with the Supra. If you want to REALLY fool around turn everything off.
With one click off it lets you slide some- for sure. But it was like the one last Nanny said ok that is enough and the car tried to correct while i was trying to intentionally drift. Felt like she applied brake to the front wheel and around i went :)

On my little Youtube channel there is a vid from the rear camera too.
I liked the way the car sounded from the cabin, all the clicking was the exhaust popping or was that inside the cabin? I have some creaks I hear in the rear, but can't pinpoint where they are coming from.

What all have you done to yours? Sounds like you have exhaust for sure?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I liked the way the car sounded from the cabin, all the clicking was the exhaust popping or was that inside the cabin? I have some creaks I hear in the rear, but can't pinpoint where they are coming from.

What all have you done to yours? Sounds like you have exhaust for sure?
Exhaust. On the track you can't (i can't) hear anything in the interior with windows down and engine up.
My exhaust is pretty annoying. It bangs pretty loud off gas.

I ADMIT i have the tune set about half way- I call it my butthole setting

otherwise car has: upgraded brake lines, pads and fluid, stiffer springs and both sway bars.
mild aero, 18" square set up. Harness bar, 6 point, seat. some other stuff

oh, and lots of stickers!! They really work.

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
If you already have a gaming PC, getting a decent wheel/rig to start off is fun and you can learn a thing or two about car control. I assume most people new to sporty rwd cars donā€™t have easy access to track days and autocross events.

The assetto corsa game is good but I found that Dirt Rally 2.0 gave me the most ability to counter steer since your pretty much doing it the whole time playing. Itā€™s a fun and beautiful game to race in but I use it more as a tool to become a better driver.

Car control is a serious thing since if someone cuts you off at high speeds itā€™s better to know how to counter steer in those emergency situations giving you a better chance at no collisions.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
For those of you in the PNW, you guys should 100% check out Proformance Racing School's skills clinic. They did a great job teaching you what some limits of the car feel like.
Sponsored