Tuning Locked ECU's Post 6/2020

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Their hesitation to release to market is very warranted. In essence if they can lock their unlocking and tuning solution they will be the only player in the game for post 7/20 BMW DME unlocking until another company puts in the same R&D either to unlock the DME or unlock their lock.

Can anyone help clarify what they mean by OBD unlock? Does that mean there would be no need to pay for a DME unlock and their solution can simply tune/flash from the OBD port? If so....that certainly makes a compelling argument to wait for this solution rather than bench unlock my 3/20 DME in my 2021.

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
It's just about here, boys. As if Pure800s weren't back-ordered enough, now all the 2021s need them.
I’m jonesing for this.
Too bad I’m far from my car traveling, I can’t email them my VIN for the waitlist.

I understand the desire to protect their intellectual property, all for capitalism and wanting to reap the benefits of their hard work. That said, I’d prefer they validate their worth through tuning results rather than fear other tuners taking their business. Mission has a great reputation but the “we won’t release unless we can lock out others or if someone else figures it out” is a testament to their understanding of other sources having justifiable followings due to their consistent/desirable results.

All of that aside, I’ll surely use them. Doesn’t mean I won’t immediately re-tune with RK, Visconti or Botti the second I can.

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
No, just a palmetto state native. Competitive shooter throughout the SE - my other life and hobby.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
hmm

With that that being said, we have learned our lesson and will not be making this unlock available to public until either one of these 3 things happen:
1) We are able to fully secure the unlock process against data-loggers so no user can log traffic and reverse engineer our process. (Also applies to BMW engineers as that is how the tuning "locks" are created by BMW)
2) Any other major company puts in the hard work and unlocks these 2021 DMEs over OBD2 port with no need to Bench Flash.
3) You, the end users, group up together and force every public tuning company to sign a non compete agreement for the 06/2020+ DMEs. Yeah I know, that's a wishful thinking but worth a try.
So, that quite possibly means, NEVER or 6+ more months if 2) were to happen. I'm not holding my breath for 1) and 3)

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I think they probably have ideas on #1, or they probably wouldn't suggest it. As a software engineer, I can think of a few possibilities right off the bat.
but it also applies to BMW engineers, meaning Bosch, which, given the right amount of encouragement can be traced as long as you have I/O requests going into the ECU there is traceability. They can surely make it more difficult to reverse engineer.... so it's a loose statement of theirs.

I think what they should do is make this a On-Line transaction as in remote. They'll send instructions directly to your car via internet with other precautions, perhaps something to prevent data packet capture, encryption, etc.
I think this would be more secure than a downloadable or installable app/software where it can be reverse-engineered a bit easier.. hmm well, I don't know. maybe that's easier to crack. ah whatever. I'm no expert.

by the time they do this, Bosch/BMW may come with a warrant at their doorstep :D

Kudos to their team for even being able to accomplish this!

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
My personal opinion is they should not have announced this until they were comfortable actually selling it. They are going to get flooded with tons of people bugging them to release it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My personal opinion is they should not have announced this until they were comfortable actually selling it. They are going to get flooded with tons of people bugging them to release it.
I take it you don't work in marketing. lol. Do you know what just happened to JB4, Titan ProTune, and RaceChip sales?

Not to mention, being the first to market gives you a significant amount of credibility.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I take it you don't work in marketing. lol. Do you know what just happened to JB4, Titan ProTune, and RaceChip sales?

Not to mention, being the first to market gives you a significant amount of credibility.
True, but until they actually give people a date when it's going to be for sale it's going to result in a million requests. And if they still don't have release date in a month or two you will see people get angry. Which is not good for them either.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Like the Supra, right :rofl:
Years of teasing.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I’m jonesing for this.
Too bad I’m far from my car traveling, I can’t email them my VIN for the waitlist.

I understand the desire to protect their intellectual property, all for capitalism and wanting to reap the benefits of their hard work. That said, I’d prefer they validate their worth through tuning results rather than fear other tuners taking their business. Mission has a great reputation but the “we won’t release unless we can lock out others or if someone else figures it out” is a testament to their understanding of other sources having justifiable followings due to their consistent/desirable results.

All of that aside, I’ll surely use them. Doesn’t mean I won’t immediately re-tune with RK, Visconti or Botti the second I can.
Having your work stolen or plagiarized is one of the worst feelings in the world. I don't blame them at all. If the others don't have the skill or brains or willing to pay for that info then F*&k em Stealing someone elses hard work or just reverse engineering is exactly what the Chinese have done for 50 years and now they're ahead of the US in nearly all sectors. Protect your IP at all costs!
Sponsored