Tuning Locked ECU's Post 6/2020

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Ladies and Gentlemen, is there a single person in here who believes MP has really done what they say they've done? Anyone.... Let's do some basic third-grade math. They could presell non-refundable unlocks for $500 on the basis that they will not start unlocks until 300 are sold. That's $150K. That guarantees them some real money, even if someone steals the tech. All subsequent orders are $1000 for the slackers that did not get in early. And since they would still be the only shop in town for some time, I'm sure they could get another 100 orders. So another $100K in profit. If you're following, that's a quarter million in cash. Or, OR they can wait until a competitor releases the tech -- THEN they will start selling it!!!! Maybe Dorthey should visit MP and tell them, "but you do have a brain scarecrow, use it and start selling unlocks"... But then again, that would mean they actually unlocked it.

If you're still reading, you might be thinking, wait a sec. This same ECU is in thousands of other BMW's, not just Supras. Well, your right. So MP should be able to double it's profit to an easy $500K.

Okay, rant over... PS: truly disappointed in MP.
Not that you’re wrong about what MP has or hasn’t done, but a half a million dollars is nearly no money in this type of industry. After you’ve paid for research, design, equipment, and labor, you’ve easily got a million dollars in sunk cost.
Sponsored

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's been long enough to call BS by now and its disappointing. :(

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
They showed video evidence and at least one person on the Bimmerforum confirmed in person. The latest posts seemed to indicate it will be Septemberish. I’m sure they will release it by Christmas.

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue, and 2017 STI
They showed video evidence and at least one person on the Bimmerforum confirmed in person. The latest posts seemed to indicate it will be Septemberish. I’m sure they will release it by Christmas.
MP isn't beta testing anything. They haven't unlocked it. You put key in door and unlock it, it's unlocked. No need to "beta test it". You jail brake an iPhone, it's unlocked, there is nothing to beta test. You don't TEST an unlock. There are no "kinks to work out". If they truly unlocked it they would already be preselling it with $500 non-refundable deposits.

So, they may be testing a tune. They may have found a way to change configurations on the ECU without unlocking it. But I don't believe for one second they've unlocked it.

Reactions: max

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not that you’re wrong about what MP has or hasn’t done, but a half a million dollars is nearly no money in this type of industry. After you’ve paid for research, design, equipment, and labor, you’ve easily got a million dollars in sunk cost.
Fair enough but wouldn't they want some of that back. Waiting for competition is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Ever! Thinking through this, the only why they earn a million on this is to truly lock down their processes and remain the only company that can do/sell it for the next two years. That's a risky move when you can go to market first as the leader and start recouping costs immediately. If someone else gets this done and beats them to market then they've lost all that R&D money anyone.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MP isn't beta testing anything. They haven't unlocked it. You put key in door and unlock it, it's unlocked. No need to "beta test it". You jail brake an iPhone, it's unlocked, there is nothing to beta test. You don't TEST an unlock. There are no "kinks to work out". If they truly unlocked it they would already be preselling it with $500 non-refundable deposits.

So, they may be testing a tune. They may have found a way to change configurations on the ECU without unlocking it. But I don't believe for one second they've unlocked it.
lol. I was around working on the first iPhone unlock. That is so fucking far from the truth. We probably bricked 100k worth of phones in the process. In fact, the first jailbreak was physical (you had to solder), even after we got to software-based exploits, there were a MILLION kinks and bugs to nail down.

I'm not saying MP did or didn't do anything, but saying 'just because you got it to work once' doesn't mean it works. Check the golden path, for example.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
lol. I was around working on the first iPhone unlock. That is so fucking far from the truth. We probably bricked 100k worth of phones in the process. In fact, the first jailbreak was physical (you had to solder), even after we got to software-based exploits, there were a MILLION kinks and bugs to nail down.

I'm not saying MP did or didn't do anything, but saying 'just because you got it to work once' doesn't mean it works. Check the golden path, for example.
Yea exploiting a system as complex as this one time doesn't mean you've cracked it in a way that can be packaged and sold. There could be a number of keys they have to develop or a sequence of jobs that executes different commands until success is achieved.

In short if this shit was simple you guys would be tuned already.

That being said, if they do have a sellable product I agree with others, just pre sell them and get the initial cash dump and be the market leader for a while.

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

That is interesting and I'm clearly not a programmer or a security expert so I'll take your word for it. Did the first bench unlocks brick a bunch of ECU's? Possible a very different process. Sounds like there would be significant risk in going first.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Fair enough but wouldn't they want some of that back. Waiting for competition is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Sorry to say, but I'm not drinking that "Kool-aid" either.....

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
That is interesting and I'm clearly not a programmer or a security expert so I'll take your word for it. Did the first bench unlocks brick a bunch of ECU's? Possible a very different process. Sounds like there would be significant risk in going first.
I'd bet they had to buy a bunch of ECUs from wrecked cars and ended up bricking a bunch before they ever tried it on a functioning vehicle.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)

What is their motivation for lying?

Not one naysayer has proven their claims false.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What is their motivation for lying?

Not one naysayer has proven their claims false.
This is my big thing. I really don't know what's going on over at MP, but if they are lying, and put together a video on it, why bother? Why go through the effort. There's no marketing or business benefit there.

Maybe they didn't do it, maybe they did. But I really don't understand 'why the bullshit.' The only thing that makes sense to me, is they did do it, and they're driving up demand while they prove their unlock won't fuck ECUs. (Unknown/untested code paths, etc). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whatever. We'll find out someday, the only thing I do know for sure is that everyone who is interested in tuning now knows about Mission Performance, and we're still talking about them a month and a half later.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If i recall correctly they had some sort of video with N54 showing it's unlocked. But i believe that wasn't fully convincing to many.
Sponsored