Turbo coolant pump issue

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
So there I was driving my wife's Supra in to work today - not screwing around I might add - when I went to shut the car off, it throws a drivetrain warning. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed "Turbo coolant pump failure" . Car has less than 2000 miles so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Of course it's a special order part so who knows when they will get it. Not exactly happy.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
So there I was driving my wife's Supra in to work today - not screwing around I might add - when I went to shut the car off, it throws a drivetrain warning. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed "Turbo coolant pump failure" . Car has less than 2000 miles so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Of course it's a special order part so who knows when they will get it. Not exactly happy.
Never seen that one before. Maybe look on a BMW forum if it's a thing or if it's just a random one in a million failure. Usually when a part like that fails it was because of faulty construction at the part assembly and it's just a matter of time.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Id suggest to see where a leak may be coming from first. Regardless, car is under warranty so itā€™s a free fix.
Things Iā€™ve done in the past is:
1. Cardboard underneath car to see if there is a leak
1a. See if itā€™s a hose leak or clamp not on tight
2. When the car is cool, hasnā€™t been driven for a few hours, open coolant cap and place back on to re-pressurize
3. Unplug coolant sensor and clean it with sensor spray (forgot what itā€™s called)

these are all simple fixes that have worked in the past with my older cars.
could help, could do nothing ??ā€ā™‚

OP
OP
Lil Grey Supra

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
no leaks - the car sits on a very light colored rug in the garage for that reason.

Interesting update - went home yesterday and fired up the bluetooth OBD link and found zero codes. I figured the dealer had cleared them so I took it out for a drive, logged everything and checked again during shutdown - no codes?

The car had not been driven in a few weeks prior to yesterday so who knows. I'm still going to let them replace the pump (I believe it is also known as engine aux cooling pump #2). It sits just to the right of the airbox on the front of the motor just below the engine cover. It's about the size of a fist.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
no leaks - the car sits on a very light colored rug in the garage for that reason.

Interesting update - went home yesterday and fired up the bluetooth OBD link and found zero codes. I figured the dealer had cleared them so I took it out for a drive, logged everything and checked again during shutdown - no codes?

The car had not been driven in a few weeks prior to yesterday so who knows. I'm still going to let them replace the pump (I believe it is also known as engine aux cooling pump #2). It sits just to the right of the airbox on the front of the motor just below the engine cover. It's about the size of a fist.
I think the dealer just wants money and the issue was with the sensor.
I had a VW CC rline before the Supra. It always threw up codes due to all the sensors the car had. I would just blow out the dust, turn the car back on. And code was gone.

OP
OP
Lil Grey Supra

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
6 month old car = Warranty. Looks like an easy change so I'll let them do it.
Sponsored