Turbo coolant pump issue

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
So there I was driving my wife's Supra in to work today - not screwing around I might add - when I went to shut the car off, it throws a drivetrain warning. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed "Turbo coolant pump failure" . Car has less than 2000 miles so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Of course it's a special order part so who knows when they will get it. Not exactly happy.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
So there I was driving my wife's Supra in to work today - not screwing around I might add - when I went to shut the car off, it throws a drivetrain warning. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed "Turbo coolant pump failure" . Car has less than 2000 miles so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Of course it's a special order part so who knows when they will get it. Not exactly happy.
Never seen that one before. Maybe look on a BMW forum if it's a thing or if it's just a random one in a million failure. Usually when a part like that fails it was because of faulty construction at the part assembly and it's just a matter of time.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Id suggest to see where a leak may be coming from first. Regardless, car is under warranty so it’s a free fix.
Things I’ve done in the past is:
1. Cardboard underneath car to see if there is a leak
1a. See if it’s a hose leak or clamp not on tight
2. When the car is cool, hasn’t been driven for a few hours, open coolant cap and place back on to re-pressurize
3. Unplug coolant sensor and clean it with sensor spray (forgot what it’s called)

these are all simple fixes that have worked in the past with my older cars.
could help, could do nothing ??‍♂

OP
OP
Lil Grey Supra

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
no leaks - the car sits on a very light colored rug in the garage for that reason.

Interesting update - went home yesterday and fired up the bluetooth OBD link and found zero codes. I figured the dealer had cleared them so I took it out for a drive, logged everything and checked again during shutdown - no codes?

The car had not been driven in a few weeks prior to yesterday so who knows. I'm still going to let them replace the pump (I believe it is also known as engine aux cooling pump #2). It sits just to the right of the airbox on the front of the motor just below the engine cover. It's about the size of a fist.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
no leaks - the car sits on a very light colored rug in the garage for that reason.

Interesting update - went home yesterday and fired up the bluetooth OBD link and found zero codes. I figured the dealer had cleared them so I took it out for a drive, logged everything and checked again during shutdown - no codes?

The car had not been driven in a few weeks prior to yesterday so who knows. I'm still going to let them replace the pump (I believe it is also known as engine aux cooling pump #2). It sits just to the right of the airbox on the front of the motor just below the engine cover. It's about the size of a fist.
I think the dealer just wants money and the issue was with the sensor.
I had a VW CC rline before the Supra. It always threw up codes due to all the sensors the car had. I would just blow out the dust, turn the car back on. And code was gone.

OP
OP
Lil Grey Supra

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
6 month old car = Warranty. Looks like an easy change so I'll let them do it.
Sponsored