Warranty issue- vibration 2021 Supra

focusmade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Well boys, I got out from under this problem. After three different dealerships and four months chasing this issue. I've had enough of it. I traded the supra.

I did learn a lot. Every Dealer I worked with never followed through with anything they said. I was having to harass them over the simplest things. Toyota techs HATE the supra with a passion. I guess service writers and weathermen are the only two jobs you can be horrible at but still collect a check.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
Interesting and I've had the same thought. I keep wondering if they wont respond to what I consider a minor, simple problem (?) what happens if theres a more complex major issue. One has the sense theres really no warranty, no safety net with addressing after sale issues.
The whole idea of combining BMW complex engineering design, Toyota dealer service depts and low volume sales model like the Supra is just flawed, not well thought out.

focusmade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Interesting and I've had the same thought. I keep wondering if they wont respond to what I consider a minor, simple problem (?) what happens if theres a more complex major issue. One has the sense theres really no warranty, no safety net with addressing after sale issues.
The whole idea of combining BMW complex engineering design, Toyota dealer service depts and low volume sales model like the Supra is just flawed, not well thought out.
If you ask any Toyota 86 owner they will tell you the same thing. Service does not like the Subaru/Toyota mashup.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Any new updates? I'm having the same issue with my 21. I just got the car on 2-26-22 and it's got a slight wobbling on the steering wheel at 70 and up to 80 with the OE tires. I've already swapped the OE summers with Continental DWS + and the still the same.

Below 70 or above 80 and it's fine. I've also got all 4 wheels align as well. I could live with it but I rather not have to take it to the dealer after seeing some poor results here.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is steeting wheel wobble or humming? Mine is a rise and fall harmonic about 1 second intervals.
I thing radial and axial runout of the tire, wheel and brake disc would be a first step in diagnosis. Then hub disassembly for inspection.
That's ahead for mine and what I will request....and not from a disinterested dealer service dept but a shop that takes ownership of a proper diagnosis.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Is steeting wheel wobble or humming? Mine is a rise and fall harmonic about 1 second intervals.
I thing radial and axial runout of the tire, wheel and brake disc would be a first step in diagnosis. Then hub disassembly for inspection.
That's ahead for mine and what I will request....and not from a disinterested dealer service dept but a shop that takes ownership of a proper diagnosis.
I should say a weak slight vibration. It's strong enough to feel.

ChattSupra

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
Let me save you all some trouble and money on alignments. I have a great dealer that is completely at a loss as to how to fix this. We did balancing, alignment and even replaced the drive shafts. We checked to make sure all the shipping spacers are removed. It is just in the car. I had another person on this forum going to my dealer as well. He gave up and traded in his car. My personal thought is that when the car hits that 70-80 mph range the air flow is causing the problem, just like buffeting when the windows are down. Let me know if any solutions are found.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Iā€™m wondering if altering suspension (and maybe some aero based on previous post, like a splitter) could alleviate this. I might get some lowering springs to see if it makes any differenceā€¦ I donā€™t recall anyone in this thread being lowered but Iā€™ll reskim when ready to pull the trigger.

Itā€™s so strange. Iā€™ve gone through many different fun cars, and hands down the supra is my favorite - 0 gripes except this, so Iā€™m just living with it for now.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm glad mine is not the only one but I guess I'm curious and just obsessive compulsive enough to keep trying.
Whatever it is its transmitted up through the steering rack/box.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I should say a weak slight vibration. It's strong enough to feel.
Like OP suggested, those are heavily influenced by the tire runout and static/dynamic
Let me save you all some trouble and money on alignments. I have a great dealer that is completely at a loss as to how to fix this. We did balancing, alignment and even replaced the drive shafts. We checked to make sure all the shipping spacers are removed. It is just in the car. I had another person on this forum going to my dealer as well. He gave up and traded in his car. My personal thought is that when the car hits that 70-80 mph range the air flow is causing the problem, just like buffeting when the windows are down. Let me know if any solutions are found.
Tried replacing the wheels/tires?
Many steering vibration issues stem from it.
Simple balancing can only do so much. There's dynamic forces at play and at 80mph they're surely more pronounced..
Did the machine identify the same point for each balance? Chances are tire may be bad as in high radial forces, 2nd harmonic, high runout...

Leaning

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2022
Iā€™m wondering if altering suspension (and maybe some aero based on previous post, like a splitter) could alleviate this. I might get some lowering springs to see if it makes any differenceā€¦ I donā€™t recall anyone in this thread being lowered but Iā€™ll reskim when ready to pull the trigger.

Itā€™s so strange. Iā€™ve gone through many different fun cars, and hands down the supra is my favorite - 0 gripes except this, so Iā€™m just living with it for now.
Yea I'm just living with it. My initial worry back when I was investigating this was what if this was some issue that would get worse over time if it's continued to be overlooked.

But I no longer think that's the case.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can we get a head count on how many GR Supras are exhibiting this issue? And also include folks you know who might not be on this forum.
Numbers and documentation might be enough to get Toyota tech help in diagnosing and finding a fix instead of individual sporadic cases.

prfinest71

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra/21 GR Supra/11 BMW X6M/05 350Z
mines does it off and on, I just thought it was the roads.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine is most obvious on best, smoothest roads which we have a few locally. It consistently exhibits on those.
Sponsored