Warranty issue- vibration 2021 Supra

Toontan

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
I have a 22' A91 CF Edition that is completely stock and is exhibiting the same issue. Dealer thought that the car had shipped with a bad set of tires and after replacing all four, still no luck. I am going to my local trusted shop this weekend to do a proper alignment and road force balance to see if this changes anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
Thank you for that information, much appreciated and saves me from $$ in trying new tires.
I did alignment and road force balance ( re- checked) and no change, no improvement.

Toontan

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
What's really interesting is that the vibration/humming is so consistent for me. Its between 65 and 75mph and as you mentioned its on really smooth roads. Shifting into neutral at 70 doesn't change it, nor does pressing the brake or accelerating. Its incredibly consistent in that 10mph range (feels the worst right at 70). At first I thought that it was a bad bearing as it feels similar to when one of my previous cars had a bad bearing but its not at all as loud and the dealer didn't find anything, and with so many people reporting this issue with new cars it would be a stretch that we all have bad bearings. Overall just really a confusing issue in that with so many of us there has to be an explanation.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I suggested in a previous post we get some numbers of how many of our cars have this issue so we can get Toyota to begin to pay attention.
I suggest, again, we begin collect this and get it to Toyota.

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Slight suggestion since my buddy had this issue recently:

Retorque lug bolts to spec. If you have not done your own rotations/maintenance, the dealership may not have torqued it to spec per BMW.

Doesn’t hurt to try :dunno:

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Slight suggestion since my buddy had this issue recently:

Retorque lug bolts to spec. If you have not done your own rotations/maintenance, the dealership may not have torqued it to spec per BMW.

Doesn’t hurt to try :dunno:
Mine happened when I bought the car used . I replaced the all the stock tires and the wheels were taken off and re-assemble for powder coating. So it's been torqued down 2 times by the installers.

I kinda just got used to it as it does go away when it's in cruise control. It's not 100% gone but I barely notice it when cruise control is on.

Kaolinite

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Mines going to the Dealership in 2 weeks to get this checked out. I brought it a couple months ago on winters and they told me to come back with the oem. I doubt they will find the problem..but at least they have confirmed the problem and not just say everything is normal

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
I have the exact same vibration happening on my new supra (built 02.2022). I'm in Germany and we have very good roads, so it easy to feel. Just thought it was a bad tire balance or tire thread effect until I read this thread.

Could it come maybe from a toe in or toe out alignment? Some kind of micro skids of the tires with adherence is very good? I had a car with a bad "Ackermann angle" and it was jumping on tight corners like with a locked differential.

I'll mention it to my dealer but don't plan to insist if tires are balanced. After all, I am coming from a BRZ so the supra is gloriously comfortable in comparison, I can live with it 😊

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Mines going to the Dealership in 2 weeks to get this checked out. I brought it a couple months ago on winters and they told me to come back with the oem. I doubt they will find the problem..but at least they have confirmed the problem and not just say everything is normal
Were you experiencing the issue with winter tires? Is anyone else on non-stock rubber having this issue? If so, we can rule out the stock Michelins being the culprit.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Were you experiencing the issue with winter tires? Is anyone else on non-stock rubber having this issue? If so, we can rule out the stock Michelins being the culprit.
I don't think stock tires are the cause. I had them and switched over to the Conti's DWS and still an issue.

Leaning

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2022
Ever since I put the stock Michelins back on for the spring the vibrations have been much less. Just barely feel it now and what I can feel I'm already really used to

Leaning

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2022
I tried reading that article in detail but I had to tap out lol.

The gist that I'm getting from the article is that just because there's vibrations felt in the steering wheel there's nothing wrong with the car

That's...good enough for me.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I dont see the source of the problem identified yet.
That article suggests a possibility.
I wait for Toyota to put its engineering know how if they havent already but are not disclosing their findings and sharing this with paying customer/ owners- folks that bought these cars based in part on trusting Toyota could be counted on to design, produce and sell a defect free car of Toyotas reliability, quality.
I agree it would be reassuring theres not a manufacturing defect or materials issue but the fact is we still have cars that exhibit a distracting steering wheel hum at highway speeds- something unlike any auto I have owned, driven, in 60 yrs experience.

SupraEssDee

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a90
Hi everyone, I too am having this same issue. Glad that I found this thread. Slight vibration in steering wheel and a little in my seat and pedal. Up to about 65mph is smooth as butter, 65-80 is most noticeable, tapers off around 85 and up. Started noticing the issue about a week or two after installing some lowering springs. Thought that was the issue at first until I had my wheels powder coated then it got even worse. My girlfriend even asked if something was wrong with the car while riding in the passenger seat. Assuming it was a balancing issue I went ahead and had a good shop rebalance today. This made everything feel better, or maybe it's placebo, but as soon as I hit 70mph I still feel that harmonic vibration. Sometimes seems to pulse like others have mentioned. Car is a 2021, around 6300 miles, lowering springs and spacers. Just here to add my name to the list. Hope we can find a solution.
Sponsored