Wastegate possible issue?

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
A few weeks back I had a shop install the Motiv Reflex box so that I can run port injection. Current mods done to the car is downpipe, AMS chargepipe, Ecutek tune, flex fuel, CSF intake manifold and now PI running ID 1050 injectors. When I go to do a log for my tuner (4th gear, VSC off, starting at 2500 RPM) the car pulls really nice up until about 5500 RPM then the wastegate gets thrown open and dumps all my boost and will only build 7-10 psi for the rest of the pull. I see boost get up to 23psi, sometimes 24-25psi. Tuner tells me it's boost leak, and I had the car leak tested and we fixed where it was coming from, but the car keeps doing it. We've boost tested in multiple areas of boost system, looked at the fins of the turbo for damage, and still can't find anything. All this is on fresh spark plugs, fresh oil, and an E30 blend of fuel from a good fuel station.

Has anyone else ran into issues like this? Is the wastegate going out? Just seems odd it happens right after having the PI kit done. Car seems to run fine driving around normally in comfort/sport modes.

IMG_9115.jpeg
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The WG is opening for sure?

I've been fighting a similar issue, but it's not the same. I also suspect it's a boost leak. I plan on smoke testing, but haven't gotten around to it. The difference is mine is building about 28psi, then staying put, despite having a target of 32psi.

OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
The WG is opening for sure?

I've been fighting a similar issue, but it's not the same. I also suspect it's a boost leak. I plan on smoke testing, but haven't gotten around to it. The difference is mine is building about 28psi, then staying put, despite having a target of 32psi.
I assume it's the waste gate just because the way it's so sudden during the pull. I've had mine smoke tested and nothing came out of it.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
@TommyGSpeed did you ever figure out the issue? How was it resolved? TIA
My tuner and I came to the conclusion that I just need a bigger turbo because of my high altitude
of roughly 4400ft above sea level. We're thinking the car is hitting a duty cycle on the turbo so it throws the wastegate in order to save itself. This makes sense because more fuel = more boost. I'll test this theory hopefully in the spring or summer next year and then I'll report back.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My tuner and I came to the conclusion that I just need a bigger turbo because of my high altitude
of roughly 4400ft above sea level. We're thinking the car is hitting a duty cycle on the turbo so it throws the wastegate in order to save itself. This makes sense because more fuel = more boost. I'll test this theory hopefully in the spring or summer next year and then I'll report back.
Very unlikely. Payn’s personal car is (was) a Pure800 car running low 9s, and lives in the Denver area. This sounds mechanical or an issue with the tune. DA there is like 10k feet.

OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Well he is my tuner haha. I’m still on stock turbo with the port injection running 1050CC injectors

OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Yes sir, we’re gonna play with it some more and see what we can do.

OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
@zrk Well after thinking about my issue all winter I tried a few things. I went through all the connections and made sure everything was nice and tight, and I installed a CAI thinking that the stock airbox was just being a restriction. I also smoked tested it and nothing ever showed. Did a pull last night and the car sent a rev with a torque reduction Any ideas what else I could look over?

Here is the datalog: https://datazap.me/u/tommygspeed/log-1684527856?log=0&data=14

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You have multiple fill limits tripped in that log. 2, 3 and 4.

For 3 you should log HPFP angle.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
You said you have an AMS charge pipe, but that looks like a stock one in your picture?

OP
OP
TommyGSpeed

TommyGSpeed

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Anyone think this may be the issue? WG is cracked open with the car on the lift.
IMG_1390.jpeg
Sponsored