Watch out for narcs!

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
More importantly: why are you Central and Pacific guys on here on a Sunday at 4AM in your respective timezones?

Gamer life? Astrophotography...and so many other good reasons to be awake

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Could you please elaborate? it's common for Jb4 to cause blown engines?

I never tried a piggy back, but as far as I know, it's like fuzzing the DME, injecting bad data trying to get the desired output, so I see a possibility for failure, like ignoring the knock sensors?
like a lot of people said. Most of it is user error

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
If you lower your car and your engine blows up, any dealer would quick to deny warranty and blame it being lowered
Would they? Seems like an easy lawsuit to me, unless the engine died because the oil pan was cracked or something.

There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", the dealership can only deny individual warranty claims when they can reasonably blame the failure on something the owner did to the car. Lowering the car and having the engine blow up are completely unrelated, and I would have a hard time believing any dealership would try to pull that stunt.

div1838

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
92' BNR32 * 20'a90 Supra - SOLD
So is this the part where Phil Havok gets blacklisted for saving Toyota USA about 10k?

OP
OP
Jackyl tm

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Would they? Seems like an easy lawsuit to me, unless the engine died because the oil pan was cracked or something.

There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", the dealership can only deny individual warranty claims when they can reasonably blame the failure on something the owner did to the car. Lowering the car and having the engine blow up are completely unrelated, and I would have a hard time believing any dealership would try to pull that stunt.
In my extended warranty provided through Toyota, it even says ANY modification of any part that is not OEM, including tires will void the entire warranty. I believe it is Nissan who has a warranty like that as well. Kia had one too, if you put any part on that was not OEM warranty can be voided. Plenty of dealerships do that.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
In my extended warranty provided through Toyota, it even says ANY modification of any part that is not OEM, including tires will void the entire warranty. I believe it is Nissan who has a warranty like that as well. Kia had one too, if you put any part on that was not OEM warranty can be voided. Plenty of dealerships do that.
Will or can? If it’s “can” it doesn’t mean it can necessarily be used as a cause for denial arbitrarily or as a pretext.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Will or can? If it’s “can” it doesn’t mean it can necessarily be used as a cause for denial arbitrarily or as a pretext.
Naturally, so there's enough wiggle room to not set legal precedent in cases where they decide to honor the warranty regardless. At a guess if it becomes known that you have 1M subscribers to your youtube channel or 1M followers on FB... then you can probably shove a stick of dynamite in your turbo and still get everything replaced.

If you're just a regular joe with no real possibility for generating a ton of expensive negative publicity... then they might deny you for replacing your engine cover or painting your calipers.

It's never about fault or not... it's always about money. ? As long as you can "cost" them far more than the MSRP of the vehicle... they'd probably just give you another one. In my case, they'd laugh in my face and show me the door. If you're a big enough celebrity... you probably don't have to pay in the first place (despite having millions)... you just call up corporate and they write off the car as advertising in exchange for an agreement for publicity and a couple shots of you taking ownership.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Gotta pay to play. If you money for mods, you better have money for repairs.
I 100% agree with this. I think it's completely ok for the repairs to be declined. There's no question there. The probably I see is that someone went out of their way to make sure this claim was denied before even attaching the scan tool. Pay to play, of course. But, just.. ya know.. let things run their course, it's not a court of law.

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
OK, who wants to join me in starting our own captive extended warranty company specifically for extensively modifed cars? I swear it's not a pyramid scheme.

Basically, all members (insured) are owners and they pay premiums. Claims are covered by the group premiums. Anything left over at the end of the year is profit for the captive group.

The group/mob think mentality will create more accountability and lead to a smarter tuner environment.

Of course, this is a very basic description. I hate that I know so much about this. Vote for me in November.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
OK, who wants to join me in starting our own captive extended warranty company specifically for extensively modifed cars? I swear it's not a pyramid scheme.

Basically, all members (insured) are owners and they pay premiums. Claims are covered by the group premiums. Anything left over at the end of the year is profit for the captive group.

The group/mob think mentality will create more accountability and lead to a smarter tuner environment.

Of course, this is a very basic description. I hate that I know so much about this. Vote for me in November.
This actually can work. Let's do it.

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
I have a friend / business partner who does it for a living. The concept works wonders for higher risk industries; namely construction. So many tax benefits for large corporations.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
That's illegal if it's the factory warranty, I'm not sure if Magnuson Moss applies to optional extended warranties though.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk