Well I replaced the Supra..

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
Good luck, I had one in UV for 25k miles, would not own one out of warranty, especially with the $75k engine replacement cost when the finger follower issue pops. It’s not part of the 10 year vanilla GT3 engine warranty as far as I remember. Also needed 2 rear struts replaced, as well as the water pump, the TI rear center muffler, and 2 vacuum solenoids. 6k spark plug change was recommended as well based on wear rate on those guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Good luck, I had one in UV for 25k miles, would not own one out of warranty, especially with the $75k engine replacement cost when the finger follower issue pops. It’s not part of the 10 year vanilla GT3 engine warranty as far as I remember. Also needed 2 rear struts replaced, as well as the water pump, the TI rear center muffler, and 2 vacuum solenoids. 6k spark plug change was recommended as well based on wear rate on those guys.
The finger follower issue wasn’t an issue on the 4.0’s. I know guys that have over 25k track only miles on their 4.0’s. Hell i met a guy a few weeks back with over 45k of track miles on his 991.1. If you take care of the car and properly maintain them, they’re very reliable.

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Attachments

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
The finger follower issue wasn’t an issue on the 4.0’s. I know guys that have over 25k track only miles on their 4.0’s. Hell i met a guy a few weeks back with over 45k of track miles on his 991.1. If you take care of the car and properly maintain them, they’re very reliable.

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it so far.
It absolutely is, the 4.0 only received the DLC coating change as part of the G series revisions, and they're still failing. Dundon has performed multiple failure analysis on the 4.0 engines.

7665a10a_8d31_4e0b_ae69_ffad63fe67ca_48431c1545bc1b7059f4e2d298abf745c712ba4c.jpeg

Note wear on cylinders 4,5,6.

3.8 got DLC followers and a 10 year warranty, 4.0 got DLC followers and a lower rev limiter. The latter only pushes out mileage till failure. Note the 8800 RPM headline number is only for 1rst gear, IIRC it drops to 8700 by 3rd, and 8400 by top. Very little you can do to "take care" of this platform other than keeping the revs artificially low and extending time to failure. The followers are pushed hard into the cam lobes, and does not allow for oil films to be present (.2 fixes that with directly oiled cam lobes interfaces, but has other issues with bearing/block weaknesses from the couple of KGs they dropped)

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
It absolutely is, the 4.0 only received the DLC coating change as part of the G series revisions, and they're still failing. Dundon has performed multiple failure analysis on the 4.0 engines.

7665a10a_8d31_4e0b_ae69_ffad63fe67ca_48431c1545bc1b7059f4e2d298abf745c712ba4c.jpeg

Note wear on cylinders 4,5,6.

3.8 got DLC followers and a 10 year warranty, 4.0 got DLC followers and a lower rev limiter. The latter only pushes out mileage till failure. Note the 8800 RPM headline number is only for 1rst gear, IIRC it drops to 8700 by 3rd, and 8400 by top. Very little you can do to "take care" of this platform other than keeping the revs artificially low and extending time to failure. The followers are pushed hard into the cam lobes, and does not allow for oil films to be present (.2 fixes that with directly oiled cam lobes interfaces, but has other issues with bearing/block weaknesses from the couple of KGs they dropped)
Lol, man, your a party pooper. Let the man enjoy his sick ass Porsche.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
Still enjoying the 3RS? Really like my Supra but have been following the 991 market for a while now...longing for a 991.2 non-RS but having a hard time justifying it as 3.5x the car as the Supra in terms of purchase cost...~40k increase over what they were 1.5 years ago!

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Still enjoying the 3RS? Really like my Supra but have been following the 991 market for a while now...longing for a 991.2 non-RS but having a hard time justifying it as 3.5x the car as the Supra in terms of purchase cost...~40k increase over what they were 1.5 years ago!
The car is amazing. I’ve been following 991 prices for years. I think in 3-6 months the prices are going to dip significantly. Don’t let the dealers asking prices fool you, numbers are being manipulated to keep the 991 market high. Dealers / private sellers are trying to get the same premiums these cars were going for 6-9 months ago, but the cars just aren’t selling.

If you have any knowledge as to how hard it is to get an allocation for a GT car then you’ll know it’s difficult. I got a call from a local dealer offering me an allocation for a 992 with “only” a 70k markup. And I’m not a Porsche VIP. Dealers are still asking 100-150k over msrp and those cars are sitting for a very long time. The fact that I got offered an allocation when I’m a nobody in the Porsche world tells me that sales are slowing way down.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Awesome upgrade! The Porsche Driving Experience in ATL is an easy 1hr flight for me. I made the trip down several times and dropped the cash on driving different cars around the track they built there when I was considering buying a 911 or Cayman. The GT3 was hands down the most fun. It's on my list, too! Enjoy!

EDIT: For anyone interested in driving these cars, I highly recommend making the trip. It's a lot of fun. Plus, Enterprise has one of their Exotics locations in a parking garage at the ATL airport, so you can walk off the plane, into a fun car, drive your fun car to the place with more fun cars, and have fun with cars.

Last edited:

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
The car is amazing. I’ve been following 991 prices for years. I think in 3-6 months the prices are going to dip significantly. Don’t let the dealers asking prices fool you, numbers are being manipulated to keep the 991 market high. Dealers / private sellers are trying to get the same premiums these cars were going for 6-9 months ago, but the cars just aren’t selling.

If you have any knowledge as to how hard it is to get an allocation for a GT car then you’ll know it’s difficult. I got a call from a local dealer offering me an allocation for a 992 with “only” a 70k markup. And I’m not a Porsche VIP. Dealers are still asking 100-150k over msrp and those cars are sitting for a very long time. The fact that I got offered an allocation when I’m a nobody in the Porsche world tells me that sales are slowing way down.
Good to hear and very interesting. From all the info I have been absorbing we seem to indeed reached a peak in prices within the last few months. With the uncertainty in the market and world in general I would too expect to see a bit of a pullback. Pretty wild that you got a call for a 992 allocation out of the blue, albeit still with a crazy markup, still a sign of a pullback in demand. A 992 GTS w/ lightweight package also crossed my mind, but assumed those were still also unattainable without dealer connections, a big markup, and undefined wait period - but I have started to see some nearly new ones show up for sale.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Congrats OP on your new ride! Just curious, is your intent to have your GT3 as your track car, daily driver, or both/none of the above? I rode in one around the mountains north of ATL and it was a blast, it was probably too firm for me as a daily.
Sponsored