Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
Yeah I can't see why they would choose a BMW powerplant, unless they a) wanted the car to cost a lot more or b) didn't want the car to be properly quick. The complete BMW formula works well for daily driver luxury BMW M cars but not for a spartan Toyota halo sportscar named "Supra." Sure, if Toyota wanted to name it the "Infra" then I'm sure 425 horsepower would be plenty for their goals of supreme mediocrity.
Lots of the turbo 6 cylinder BMW engines have also had reliability issues with fuel pumps going.
Sponsored

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Wouldn't mind the Supra sharing this water injection system that BMW just previewed

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090892

Sounds great especially if you'll be tuning the car for some extra HP.
Sounds like what the aftermarket offers in terms of an water/methanol injection kit. Props to BMW for looking to incorporate this in their M cars. Combine this with the turbo engines and the tuning potential of those M cars should be impressive.

If the MKV Supra gets a turbo engine I wouldn't mind seeing a system like this from the factory too. Beats installing it in aftermarket and not having warranty piece of mind.

Triple Double

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Space Gray e46 M3
Sounds like what the aftermarket offers in terms of an water/methanol injection kit. Props to BMW for looking to incorporate this in their M cars. Combine this with the turbo engines and the tuning potential of those M cars should be impressive.

If the MKV Supra gets a turbo engine I wouldn't mind seeing a system like this from the factory too. Beats installing it in aftermarket and not having warranty piece of mind.
If the engine is engineered to run cool enough for track duty, why does it need extra cooling to be fitted after. I hope the Supra comes with 470+hp and enough cooling for track work out of the box.

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
I'd like to see a head up display on the MKV Supra. Tried it out in my buddy's M5 and it's awesome. Would be perfect in the Supra to match its futuristic modern exterior.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I'd like to see a head up display on the MKV Supra. Tried it out in my buddy's M5 and it's awesome. Would be perfect in the Supra to match its futuristic modern exterior.
It has one in Gran Turismo!

There was commentary that the steering wheel display might not make it into the actual car due to costs, but I don't think they've nixed the HUD.

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
It has one in Gran Turismo!

There was commentary that the steering wheel display might not make it into the actual car due to costs, but I don't think they've nixed the HUD.
Forgot about seeing one in Gran Turismo, you're right! For a 50-60k car like everyone here's been predicting, I think it will come with HUD. Not exactly bleeding edge tech. Even GM cars have it now.

Having another display on the steering wheel might actually make it too complicted with too many places for your eyes to look? Youd have to look at HUD, steering wheels and/or display gauges.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Yeah it seemed like gauges + steering wheel display + HUD was a bit overkill. + gran turismo instruments if you're playing the game, for quadruple redundancy :)

My brother in law's Mazda 3 has a HUD. I think we'll get some sort of HUD, hopefully it's nice.

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
My brother in law's Mazda 3 has a HUD. I think we'll get some sort of HUD, hopefully it's nice.
I want at least shift lights on the HUD display. Makes the most sense there since you don't have to take your eyes off the road where you need it most when you're actually accelerating to redline. Much better placement than on steering wheel or on the tach.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500
BMWs have long had a reputation for being unreliable. In addition, I know someone who bought a brand new 2014 BMW, and at 39,000 miles something expensive blew and it cost $3,000 to replace. The manager's response was 'Hey, it's a BMW'. For a certain rich and stupid segment of the population expensive repairs add to the mystique. A huge part of the appeal of the Supra was it's bullet-proof engine. And Toyota is able to sell huge numbers of incredibly boring vehicles based on reliability.

Anyway, this is from an article about the latest BMW recall:

"According to BMW, an auxiliary water pump could fail on affected vehicles, causing a circuit board to overheat and catch fire. Dealerships will replace the pump free of charge, but replacement parts are not available yet. Until the new part is installed, BMW recommends owners park their vehicles outside to avoid a potential house fire."

REALLY??? Park your car outside to avoid burning down your house, we'll let you know when we have the parts to fix it???
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.