What did you do to your Supra today?

teal.supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Supra
Story time..
TL;DR: Create a relationship with your service tech.

Last season I broke one of my stock axles. The axle failed in a particularly unusual way, where it is still in place, but ripped the boot and produced a lot of play up and down in the axle itself.

The car could still be driven, and I didn't actually notice the failure until I saw differential fluid on my driveway, and then when I had it on a lift for something else, I checked and found the failure of the driver's side axle.

This is not a warranty claim situation. I knowingly said goodbye to my warranty the day I picked up the car, pulled the ECU and sent it to Finland. I straight line track this supra regularly, it's gone through a couple different setups, and I do some street things.

But I figured what the heck, I have a good relationship with my local Toyota service tech, doesn't hurt to ask. He worked on my 2021 supra and ultimately replaced the head and pistons. Then helped me get Toyota to buy it back.

When I told my tech what happened, his first question was "do you have your car lowered", and I thought that's a weird question but said yeah I have the HKS springs on there. His response surprised me "well I'm happy to try to warranty it, but we will need the stock suspension in there so that they don't try to deny the claim because of the suspension.".

Today I dropped the car off, for a potentially free axle replacement, and to get the stock springs put in. This is super advantageous to me because I need more room to squat when I'm launching off the line.

Point of my long story is that this relationship has saved me a lot of money. Most technicians are car guys like us, they want to work on a Supra more than any other Toyota that comes in, and requesting to talk to your technician one on one, is a great way to build that relationship.

1710116129734.png

Last edited:

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Story time..
TL;DR: Create a relationship with your service tech.

Last season I broke one of my stock axles. The axle failed in a particularly unusual way, where it is still in place, but ripped the boot and produced a lot of play up and down in the axle itself.

The car could still be driven, and I didn't actually notice the failure until I saw differential fluid on my driveway, and then when I had it on a lift for something else, I checked and found the failure of the driver's side axle.

This is not a warranty claim situation. I knowingly said goodbye to my warranty the day I picked up the car, pulled the ECU and sent it to Finland. I straight line track this supra regularly, it's gone through a couple different setups, and I do some street things.

But I figured what the heck, I have a good relationship with my local Toyota service tech, doesn't hurt to ask. He worked on my 2021 supra and ultimately replaced the head and pistons. Then helped me get Toyota to buy it back.

When I told my tech what happened, his first question was "do you have your car lowered", and I thought that's a weird question but said yeah I have the HKS springs on there. His response surprised me "well I'm happy to try to warranty it, but we will need the stock suspension in there so that they don't try to deny the claim because of the suspension.".

Today I dropped the car off, for a potentially free axle replacement, and to get the stock springs put in. This is super advantageous to me because I need more room to squat when I'm launching off the line.

Point of my long story is that this relationship has saved me a lot of money, most techs are car guys like us, and requesting to talk to your tech one on one is a great way to do thag.

1710116129734.png
Yeah nice story, still wouldn’t trust any Toyota dealership to work on this car tho

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Help me understand why people do Autocross. Is it because there is no local race track?

Phil

Last edited:

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Help me understand why people do Autocross. Is it because there is no local race track?

Phil
for me, autox is $110, track day is $930 (event + track insurance)

both reward legal seat time

obviously tires and pads take more of a beating at the track

the atmosphere is different. out of driving, there's more socializing at an autox event. at the tracks, people are just winding down in between sessions. so less fatigue i guess?

my local autox is different from everyone else's though.. it's a large go kart track with cones being used to manipulate the configuration. i'm not sure how that experience compares to others'

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
for me, autox is $110, track day is $930 (event + track insurance)

both reward legal seat time

obviously tires and pads take more of a beating at the track

the atmosphere is different. out of driving, there's more socializing at an autox event. at the tracks, people are just winding down in between sessions. so less fatigue i guess?

my local autox is different from everyone else's though.. it's a large go kart track with cones being used to manipulate the configuration. i'm not sure how that experience compares to others'
Ok that's a massive cost difference. Track days on the bike at Phillip Island which is arguably one of the top 5 race tracks in the world is $350aud plus the cost of sharing a garage with 4 others, usually around $30 each if you want to. You can just be out in the open if you like. Broardford is about half that with free pit facilities.

Phil

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
Anything over 8 seconds is slow. I'm almost ashamed of you. I hope your family forgives you and allows you to start attending the reunions again.

;)