What is the difference?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If we were to go based off of old toyota heritage, toyota fucked up the naming for the Supra lol. I somewhat remember reading about this somewhere, i don't know if this is true but this is how i remembered it (you Supra Purist better not flame me, i'm not even sure myself, i vaguely remember reading this.); Speculations are that the Ax0 was designated for the N/A model Supras, while Ax1 is designated for turbo model cars, for instance:

A60- MkII Supra (they never made a turbo model)

A70- N/A MkIII Supra

A71- Turbo MkIII Supra

A80- MkIV Supra

So to technically be correct, we're all A91s. Lol. I feel like a more feasible correction would be that we designate the B48 Supras as A90's and then B58's as A91's.

Other people also like to designated the 2020 (2 port Supras) as A90's and all 2021+ (6 port Supras) as A91's so there's no confusion (which there still is.. i don't care personally but some people really fight about it)
No.

All MKV Supras - A90
A91 = racing stripes on the side
A91 CF = 2022 With CF Lips

Engine has nothing to do with it, year has nothing to do with it. Maybe Toyota could have done it differently, but "A91," "LE", etc. are just trim levels.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Easiest way to look at it.^^^^

I think the chassis code technically being j29 is the bmw code I would assume. And Toyota refers to it as a90.
Chassis code for the Z4 is G29, Supra is J29. I see it as G for German and J for Japanese. I'm sure that's not why but it works. As far as A90, as others have said it's just for names sake in regards to previous Supra chassis codes.

Reactions: zrk

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Chassis code for the Z4 is G29, Supra is J29. I see it as G for German and J for Japanese. I'm sure that's not why but it works. As far as A90, as others have said it's just for names sake in regards to previous Supra chassis codes.
G and j, makes perfect sense for it to be that then!

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
No.

All MKV Supras - A90
A91 = racing stripes on the side
A91 CF = 2022 With CF Lips

Engine has nothing to do with it, year has nothing to do with it. Maybe Toyota could have done it differently, but "A91," "LE", etc. are just trim levels.
I know all that, but in actually, toyota isn't following the heritage they layed down as we knew it in the Supra scene Pre-MKV.. Ax0 were designated for N/A/ Base Supras where as the Ax1 is designated for Turbo/ premium models.. that's why some old Supra Purist get mad that they glorified the special edition models as "A91" because the last digit "1" pre-mkv didn't just signify a cosmetic.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Yeah that speedo 3 inches above the speedo really make a difference 🤣
For some people it's just as important as that blue stitching you have in your interior. With the A91 package being considered a "Special Edition", I was very confused at the fact that it had an actual quality of life technology package item removed from it. The A91, in my opinion, should have come with everything the A90 Premiums came with PLUS the stitching, the stripes, and the dash plaque. When I bought my premium there were two different A91's on the lot. One was Refraction and the other was Nocturnal. I actually test drove the Refraction as my test drive car and was confused that there was no heads-up display. I asked the salesman that was riding along with me why the "special editions" didn't have a heads-up display and he said he didn't know. When I got back to the dealership I obviously purchased the premium with the heads-up display. There was also the fact that at my dealership the A91's were marked up $5,000 more than my premium.

Different things are important to different people. I like my heads-up display and use it every time I drive the car. You like your stripes, blue stitching, and special color. To be fair, I think the Refraction Blue color is the only truly special thing about the A91's, the stitching is also very unique and cool as well, but that color is something special. The stripes are nothing special to me because anyone can go to any wrap shop and have those same stripes added to the rear quarters. The Nocturnal black car is very odd in my opinion because there was already a black offered on base models and premiums.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
For some people it's just as important as that blue stitching you have in your interior. With the A91 package being considered a "Special Edition", I was very confused at the fact that it had an actual quality of life technology package item removed from it. The A91, in my opinion, should have come with everything the A90 Premiums came with PLUS the stitching, the stripes, and the dash plaque. When I bought my premium there were two different A91's on the lot. One was Refraction and the other was Nocturnal. I actually test drove the Refraction as my test drive car and was confused that there was no heads-up display. I asked the salesman that was riding along with me why the "special editions" didn't have a heads-up display and he said he didn't know. When I got back to the dealership I obviously purchased the premium with the heads-up display. There was also the fact that at my dealership the A91's were marked up $5,000 more than my premium.

Different things are important to different people. I like my heads-up display and use it every time I drive the car. You like your stripes, blue stitching, and special color. To be fair, I think the Refraction Blue color is the only truly special thing about the A91's, the stitching is also very unique and cool as well, but that color is something special. The stripes are nothing special to me because anyone can go to any wrap shop and have those same stripes added to the rear quarters. The Nocturnal black car is very odd in my opinion because there was already a black offered on base models and premiums.
Yeah I waited especially for the Refraction Blue. I assumed it had a HUD when I ordered it, but when I found out it didn't, it didn't matter to me. It's a gimmick. All I cared about was the paint color.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I personally like the HUD a lot, but its not really essential. If you use CarPlay, it is really nice getting the track name and menu in the HUD though.

It's definitely a huge bummer the Supra didn't ship with iDrive 7 instead of 6 though, because then we would get Android Auto integration (including HUD) and things like CarPlay/AA Nav turn-by-turn showing up in the HUD too. Even without the HUD, you'd at least get the same in the actual gauge clusters too.

Right now, you can only get that if you're using the BMW nav system instead, which is kind of pointless and clunky if you've got CarPlay.

Also, biggest headscratcher on the HUD is why they didn't include some type of tachometer, seems like a no brainer.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
US 2 Port Supra = J29 DB43
US 6 Port Supra = J29 DB03

A90 is just a marketing name
A91 is a marketing name to steal more money out of people's pockets

It's also fuel for all the "actually" people to use against others. I had one of those "actually" people come up to me a couple of weeks ago claiming that I should be ashamed for having an "A91" license plate when I don't have an A91 series car... Which I actually do own one.

Last edited:

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Also, biggest headscratcher on the HUD is why they didn't include some type of tachometer, seems like a no brainer.
Agreed. I’m always in manual mode and so I look at the tach regularly when driving around town, which means looking all the way down at the gauge cluster. I like the HUD, but without a tach it’s only useful when cruising on the freeway.

OP
OP

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I really like the blue stitching, Wish I had it. Rear quarter stripes too. May have to add them one day. I spent 38 years working on jets so I am really liking the hud! adds to my smile factor.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
A91's are "Special editions", which some how came without a heads up display? You trade that nifty heads up display for blue stitching, special "stripes on the rear quarters", and..... what else? Refraction blue if you didn't go with Nocturnal black, which was an offering on the non A91 editions, and perhaps a plaque on the dash.
It's for weight savings, obviously lol 🙄

Last edited:

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
That HUD is fucking amazing for those times I forget what song I'm listening to and can't be bothered to look three inches to my right.

Jokes aside, I do enjoy the HUD, don't know why they cut it out of the 91 car. Shoulda left it.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
If we were to go based off of old toyota heritage, toyota fucked up the naming for the Supra lol. I somewhat remember reading about this somewhere, i don't know if this is true but this is how i remembered it (you Supra Purist better not flame me, i'm not even sure myself, i vaguely remember reading this.); Speculations are that the Ax0 was designated for the N/A model Supras, while Ax1 is designated for turbo model cars, for instance:

A60- MkII Supra (they never made a turbo model)

A70- N/A MkIII Supra

A71- Turbo MkIII Supra

A80- MkIV Supra

So to technically be correct, we're all A91s. Lol. I feel like a more feasible correction would be that we designate the B48 Supras as A90's and then B58's as A91's.

Other people also like to designated the 2020 (2 port Supras) as A90's and all 2021+ (6 port Supras) as A91's so there's no confusion (which there still is.. i don't care personally but some people really fight about it)
Very close!

There actually was no A70 = NA, A71 = turbo, but it was a confusion at the time.

A45, A46, A47, A55 = 1st Gen Supra
A60, A61, A63 = 2nd Gen (There was a turbo model in Japan, MA63 with MTEU engine)
A70, A71 =3rd
A80 = 4th
A90 = J29= 5th Gen

But generally, you just say A40, A60, A70, A80, A90 to refer to the generation...

That's enough Supra weeb'ing for me today.

Fun fact- the super-rare MA55 Supra does exist, it has IRS and an F series diff, all other first gen Supras were live axle/F Series.
Sponsored