What wing do I run on my Supra?

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Something that gets commonly asked when it comes to aero is...what wing do I run?

Well, Verus Engineering put together this nice 6 minute informative video explaining the benefits behind each of their offerings.

Check it out!

#notsponsoredbuttheyarehomies
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Except it's missing the only correct answer: Adro.

EDIT: This is why I hate YouTube videos. This 5 minute video - which was honestly not very informative and jumped around wildly - could've been presented as a simple three column table detailing information about each wing in a sub minute read. 🙄

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
UCW bottom mount it should be, looking at their aero charts.
Cool compilation btw. can I share it on track grp on fb?
Correct, UCW swan data wasn't released. Edit: but based on some previous studies, at 65mph, expect +2 lbs of downforce at the cost of 0.5 lbs of additional drag. Is the performance delta worth the extra $700? I'm not sure. Does it look cool as hell? Fuck yeah it does.

Grain of salt with all numbers of course. But the data is the data until proven otherwise. And remember folks, clamoring for experimental data is not always the solution. Test data is rarely trusted by the test engineer recording it.

Feel free to upload to google sheets or whatever (all charts are screenshotted, it might not work until you remove them).

update: click here for link

Last edited:

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Correct, UCW swan data wasn't released. Grain of salt with all numbers of course. But the data is the data until proven otherwise. And remember folks, clamoring for experimental data is not always the solution. Test data is rarely trusted by the test engineer recording it.

Feel free to upload to google sheets or whatever (all charts are screenshotted, it might not work until you remove them).
I shared this in track thread too, maybe it will spark some more discussion from track ppl :)

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
A few additional insights/notes:
Verus runs their CFD with a slight yaw in the airfoil (as you will be turning the car)

APR gtc300 @ 12deg and gtc500 @ 14 deg have almost identical drag and lift curves. At 120mph, DF is within 1 lbf and drag is within 2 lbf. The advantage is running a gtc500 is that you have additional headroom of +4 AoA, if needed. I did not include gurney effect here, because gtc500 has gurney numbers while gtc300 does not.

To convert downforce data from one speed to another: NewDF = OldDF*(NewSpeed)^2/(OldSpeed)^2. This can be done in any arbitrary unit (lbf, newtons, mph, kph) as long as you're consistent.

Edit: I have noticed a possible typo in the GTC500 data at 100 mph using this approximation. The other curves nicely fit a parabola.

Use Engauge digitizer to extract datapoints from graphs: https://github.com/markummitchell/engauge-digitizer

Last edited:

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R.
following. hoping for some date on the Voltex type 12.5. if it's enough downforce to need to raise my spring rates.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
There is almost no published data on voltex except from 3rd party sources, despite their ad copy frequently mentioning CFD. But, for the voltex type 7, it is dead last in terms of downforce per dollar (ignoring the wings with no data at all), finishing behind the adro which is 2nd worst.

Last edited:

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
A few additional insights/notes:
Verus runs their CFD with a slight yaw in the airfoil (as you will be turning the car)

APR gtc300 @ 12deg and gtc500 @ 14 deg have almost identical drag and lift curves. At 120mph, DF is within 1 lbf and drag is within 2 lbf. The advantage is running a gtc500 is that you have additional headroom of +4 AoA, if needed. I did not include gurney effect here, because gtc500 has gurney numbers while gtc300 does not.

To convert downforce data from one speed to another: NewDF = OldDF*(NewSpeed)^2/(OldSpeed)^2. This can be done in any arbitrary unit (lbf, newtons, mph, kph) as long as you're consistent.

Use Engauge digitizer to extract datapoints from graphs: https://github.com/markummitchell/engauge-digitizer
Looks like V1X, even tho expensive, is the biggest df gnerator 2nd only to monster APR 1000 wing? SO if overall most df is teh goal its the go-to?

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
It appears to be that way. the price point of the v1x is probably not an accident. The CFD for v1x is provided at maximum custom size, which is 300x1950 mm. The UCW's size is 250x1650mm, and can't be customized. The v1x wing area is larger by a factor of 1.4x, while the downforce is roughly 2x across all speeds, so the airfoil changes are probably non-trivial.

there are definitely a whole bunch of custom multi-element wings, the gt1000 was just provided as an example of how crazy things can get. I may remove it since it's not a complete solution on the supra.

that being said, battle aero chassis mount and apr gt1000 with custom bracket spacing might be a good combo for the competitive time attack folks.

Last edited: