Why does the Supra not have remote start?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Agreed. What car thee days (especially a$50k one) doesn’t have remote start. That said, at least put a heated steering wheel in.
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Sorry buddy but I fail to see the problem in that.. I open the garage remotely before I go out anyway, so I don't have to stand and wait for it in the cold.. would just open it a few min earlier when starting the car.
You would understand if you lived in a cold climate ?
The problem is even with the garage door open, a significant amount of the exhaust will stay inside the garage. In the time it takes for the car to warm up, you will have filled the garage with enough exhaust fumes, including extremely dangerous carbon monoxide to seep into the house itself.

Perhaps your garage is detached and not close to your home? In that case, no worries but warming up a car in an attached garage, even if the door is open is a monumentally bad idea.

Well, almost no worries. You'll still be breathing during the time it takes to get into the garage, seat belted, adjust radio or whatever else and finally drive away. And then I assume you're going to roll the windows down once out of the garage to get all the noxious exhaust fumes out of the car's interior?

Where I live -10 to -20 C is not that uncommon in January and February. When I was a kid, we used to see -25 or -30 perhaps once a year or every other year but I think global warming has done away with those - can't recall the last time we had one. I dress appropriately. ;)

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
The problem is even with the garage door open, a significant amount of the exhaust will stay inside the garage. In the time it takes for the car to warm up, you will have filled the garage with enough exhaust fumes, including extremely dangerous carbon monoxide to seep into the house itself.

Perhaps your garage is detached and not close to your home? In that case, no worries but warming up a car in an attached garage, even if the door is open is a monumentally bad idea.

Well, almost no worries. You'll still be breathing during the time it takes to get into the garage, seat belted, adjust radio or whatever else and finally drive away. And then I assume you're going to roll the windows down once out of the garage to get all the noxious exhaust fumes out of the car's interior?

Where I live -10 to -20 C is not that uncommon in January and February. When I was a kid, we used to see -25 or -30 perhaps once a year or every other year but I think global warming has done away with those - can't recall the last time we had one. I dress appropriately. ;)
Almost all garages here are detached, the rear bumper and the exhaust are 2 inches from the door (a lot of crap in front of the car..?) so I'm not worried about the exhaust fumes in that respect. I agree if it hadn't been a detached garage it would be a totally different story ?

MaxFn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited, 2012 RAV4 V6 Sport
Why is everyone so pressed about the remote start? Car warms up pretty damn fast if you ever leave it outside. Garage keeps it plenty warm.
Remote start in Phoenix is very handy in the summer. In 115F afternoons, it is nice to step into a car that does not take the flesh of your hands when you touch the gear shift.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Luckily there's already remote ventilation that does a debatable job, for hot climates...

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Remote start in Phoenix is very handy in the summer. In 115F afternoons, it is nice to step into a car that does not take the flesh of your hands when you touch the gear shift.

Use the ventilation it will help some what.

Reactions: zrk

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Not many sports car offer a heated steering wheel. Most people that buy a 50,000 sports car buy a different winter car for the cold

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Buyers get a free trial of Toyota Remote Connect that ranges from three to 10 years on all new Toyotas, depending on the model. After the trial period expires, the service costs either $8 per month or $80 per year.
Toyota Remote Connect includes other features that might make it worth the investment. It features in-vehicle Wi-Fi, a function to help you find your parked car, a system that lets you check the odometer and fuel level remotely from your phone, and certain teen driver controls for parents.
(per KBB)
Check with your dealer

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Buyers get a free trial of Toyota Remote Connect that ranges from three to 10 years on all new Toyotas, depending on the model. After the trial period expires, the service costs either $8 per month or $80 per year.
Toyota Remote Connect includes other features that might make it worth the investment. It features in-vehicle Wi-Fi, a function to help you find your parked car, a system that lets you check the odometer and fuel level remotely from your phone, and certain teen driver controls for parents.
(per KBB)
Check with your dealer
We have that with Supra Connect, but it doesn't remote start.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Not many sports car offer a heated steering wheel. Most people that buy a 50,000 sports car buy a different winter car for the cold
Well following that logic then, why did they put in heated seats?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Well following that logic then, why did they put in heated seats?
I have no idea. It’s a stupid decision. There’s a reason upgraded seats aren’t heated in high end cars, all weight reduction. I think bmw is a balance of luxury/sporty so that’s probably why. Should be an option, most racers would opt out

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The heated seat and steering wheel are mostly just coils with minimal weight impact. Already existing components... People would and do opt-out of the heavy seats instead.
But sure winter needs/drivability/race-only argument still holds. Yet to make it race season-worthy, you usually have to upgrade many components, half for weight reduction, half weight addition to increase downforce, stopping distance, etc... then the thick bones and beer belly ?
Sponsored