Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
This is a random question, but when would Toyota mechanics start to get info/training on this car? I ask only because it makes it confusing having a Toyota badged car with BMW internals. As for the car, I think it will surprise a lot of people when they actually drive it. Seems like this car would destroy a MKIV in stock form around the track.

Hell, a 600hp MKIV ran the Nurburgring in 7:49 in 97' So theres also that...
Sponsored

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
2. I see nothing wrong with that.
3. That's been discussed. Having a manual to handle the engine's power and potential power from mods would cause the price to hike up due to the exotic materials needed.
So is the power the same as a mid-90's Corvette or does the engine's power need a transmission with exotic materials? It can't be both.

The V160 wasn't made of unobtanium.

Jeff

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So is the power the same as a mid-90's Corvette or does the engine's power need a transmission with exotic materials? It can't be both.

Jeff
The v160 might as well be unobtanium at this point. I was going by the power numbers being the same but if Tada wanted a stable manual that can handle the engine and what lies underneath, that suggest it is not an easy task and the shifts need to be great every time

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS

Jeff
The question I have is does the size of engine play a role in this decision.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
The v160 might as well be unobtanium at this point. I was going by the power numbers being the same but if Tada wanted a stable manual that can handle the engine and what lies underneath, that suggest it is not an easy task and the shifts need to be great every time
BMW M2 2018 : weight = around 3400 lbs
power = 420 hp
transmission = manual is offered along with aut
price = around 58k+
seats = 2+2

And btw the manual feels as people reviewing it say absolutely fantastic. I am not against automatics (even tho i never owned one on my life) , the thing that i am against tho is lame excuses. I mean toyota could come out and say this is our dream halo car whatever and either you take it or leave it, this is a perfectly acceptable stance by me. But it is lame to try to find excuses about everything , the 86 is underpowered because it handles great (what??) , the supra is only aut because 350 hp is too much (what??).

And now my opinion : it should have been a sibling to the m2 or the rc-f.

kmbkk

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 FRS
My excitement has waned a little, but I'm sure it'll go back up once they actually get around to fully revealing it. I still enjoy driving my FRS, so I'll probably wait a bit to buy one. But our of curiosity I asked my local dealer about the Supra while I was there getting some touchup paint for my car. I asked a salesman about a wait list and he took me to the sales manager. The sales manager told me they're not doing a wait list until they get release date confirmation. Ok, no biggie, again not planning to buy one right away. He then goes on to tell me about the 2 different engine types and pricing. He said it'll come with either a 4 cylinder starting at $69K or a twin turbo straight 6 starting at $100K! I did my best not to laugh, but it got even better. He then told me I should take a look at the new FRS GT they're getting next week. It's part of the Supra family and will have more power than the regular FRS. I smiled politely and told him thanks for the info.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
\He then goes on to tell me about the 2 different engine types and pricing. He said it'll come with either a 4 cylinder starting at $69K or a twin turbo straight 6 starting at $100K!
He was trying to put your name on the list for the carbon fiber tub edition. ;)

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
My excitement has waned a little, but I'm sure it'll go back up once they actually get around to fully revealing it. I still enjoy driving my FRS, so I'll probably wait a bit to buy one. But our of curiosity I asked my local dealer about the Supra while I was there getting some touchup paint for my car. I asked a salesman about a wait list and he took me to the sales manager. The sales manager told me they're not doing a wait list until they get release date confirmation. Ok, no biggie, again not planning to buy one right away. He then goes on to tell me about the 2 different engine types and pricing. He said it'll come with either a 4 cylinder starting at $69K or a twin turbo straight 6 starting at $100K! I did my best not to laugh, but it got even better. He then told me I should take a look at the new FRS GT they're getting next week. It's part of the Supra family and will have more power than the regular FRS. I smiled politely and told him thanks for the info.
Whatever a dealer says is truth.. just like the internet. You didn’t know?

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'00 NBP Integra Type R, '18 BMW X6 i50, '16 335i GT
I mean, to be honest salesguys don't know shit about the cars that they literally have on their lot at that moment, i'd take what they have to say with a grain of salt, lol.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
He might be telling the truth about the 100k for the inline 6. After they put their stupid market adjustment on it. I mean my raptor, sticker was like 69k and some of the dealers are asking 85-90k for the truck. With the Supra name, I could see them trying to put huge markups on them, when they first come out. The only way I'll buy one, is if I can get it for a price I dont feel like they are giving me the corn without the lube.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I was thinking the same thing. They could just be taking a wild guess on prices or this is the price they are planning to sell it for on initial release no matter if the sticker prices comes in at $50-$65k mark....because Supra :rolleyes1:

Although it would be nice if Toyota stepped in and not allowed their dealerships to do this since they've been making customers wait almost 2 decades for this car.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I was thinking the same thing. They could just be taking a wild guess on prices or this is the price they are planning to sell it for on initial release no matter if the sticker prices comes in at $50-$65k mark....because Supra :rolleyes1:

Although it would be nice if Toyota stepped in and not allowed their dealerships to do this since they've been making customers wait almost 2 decades for this car.
And if they want to make the collaboration work by cutting down cost, I think they're going to penalize anybody going over MSRP by 10k because it would deter people from owning it.

Spending 75k on a Supra is a bit much for the allure of owning it first, but it's better than marking it up like a ford focus RS gets at a dealerships.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Ya he is full of it, dealers have been provided nothing on this car as of yet other than the fact it is happening. If every single mid-level Sales Manager in the country knew about pricing and specs it would have leaked a LONG time ago, there is a reason that dealerships don't receive info much before the general public.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer mark up, only auto, BMW in a Toyota outfit... man this car is setup for failure.

Only saving grace will be the driving dynamics. If Toyota did their magic in that area.. I’m sure it’ll be a mediocre seller once all the dealer markup subsides.
Sponsored