Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ imagine a 4 cyl. selling at $69k :crazy:. Hell even the top 6 cyl. at that price point given the collaboration is pretty high IMO.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Dealer mark up, only auto, BMW in a Toyota outfit... man this car is setup for failure.
Only saving grace will be the driving dynamics. If Toyota did their magic in that area..
Melodramatic much? Obviously that GM was talking out of his ass. I sold my E30 last weekend to the Parts Department Manager of a local BMW dealership who said the Z4 would be offered in a manual, but by using logic and critical thinking I concluded that it wasn't true.

Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be a mediocre seller
Just like the mk4

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Melodramatic much? Obviously that GM was talking out of his ass. I sold my E30 last weekend to the Parts Department Manager of a local BMW dealership who said the Z4 would be offered in a manual, but by using logic and critical thinking I concluded that it wasn't true.

Just like the mk4
I wasnā€™t talking about what that GM said at that dealership. Do you disagree that there will be dealer markup of at least 10k ?

Do you disagree that most People that know about the Supra and have or had a MKIV wants a manual? People that donā€™t know about a Supra arenā€™t going to pay over sticker or even sticker to get something they donā€™t know about.

MKIV was a disaster in sales.. never contested that. But the car performed along with a 993TT and costed a lot less. Just the dealership it was sold out of was wrong.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I wasnā€™t talking about what that GM said at that dealership. Do you disagree that there will be dealer markup of at least 10k ?
I don't understand, If there is a 10k markup from dealers then that would mean that the car is a success and is in high demand. That's the whole point of dealer markups because the market dictates demand, you can't charge a markup for a car that isn't selling to anybody

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

Do you disagree that most People that know about the Supra and have or had a MKIV wants a manual? People that donā€™t know about a Supra arenā€™t going to pay over sticker or even sticker to get something they donā€™t know about.

MKIV was a disaster in sales.. never contested that. But the car performed along with a 993TT and costed a lot less. Just the dealership it was sold out of was wrong.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree that there will be a markup but that's in direct relation to supply and demand, not what makes the car a recipe for failure like you were implying. How long will a $10k markup last if they arent selling?

I believe there is a great deal of people who do want one, luckily a BMW block allows them for a handful of off-the-shelf options to chose from if they care that much. As someone who daily drives a manual, I do not mind having an auto if the transmission suits it. People who don't know about Civic Type R's or Focus RS's wont pay for dealer markup either so I do not understand how that is relevant.

You know it will still be sold out of a Toyota dealership right?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand, If there is a 10k markup from dealers then that would mean that the car is a success and is in high demand. That's the whole point of dealer markups because the market dictates demand, you can't charge a markup for a car that isn't selling to anybody
Negative.. some markups are in anticipation of demand

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Letā€™s me introduce you to the new NSX.

Markups have nothing to do with supply and demand, it has everything to do with it being a new car with hype that dealers try to milk for more money. Some of you on this forum will end up paying more because you are excited and just canā€™t wait and dealers know that so they take advantage of it. Zero to do with the overall sales.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Markups have nothing to do with supply and demand, it has everything to do with it being a new car with hype that dealers try to milk for more money. Some of you on this forum will end up paying more because you are excited and just canā€™t wait and dealers know that so they take advantage of it. Zero to do with the overall sales.
Thank you. A90 will be a similar success (bazzinga) to the NSX.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

It's not that deep. Someone paid $200,000 for the first Type R but that did not determine the success of the model whatsoever.

This happens on every car this popular.

News flash: you do not have to buy it on day one. If for some reason you think you do, then you have no reason to be bellyaching over the markup

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
It's not that deep. Someone paid $200,000 for the first Type R but that did not determine the success of the model whatsoever.

This happens on every car this popular.

News flash: you do not have to buy it on day one. If for some reason you think you do, then you have no reason to be bellyaching over the markup
Exactly. Markups are for the stupid or rich that donā€™t care.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma

But i'd argue that is demand, People being excited about the car and willing to pay a premium is by definition demand. It doesn't matter if that's driven by rational thought or people that are fanboys willing to jump on anything with a supra name, it's all demand. In this case a car is given a markup because there is some excitement (demand) behind it.

There was demand for the NSX for a number of reasons which inspired those initial markups. Was it a sales failure, can't argue there at all, but it also achieved Performance car of the year, which to me seems somewhat of a success based on it's goals as a halo car.

If the Supra is a sales flop but is also Performance car of the year, i'll gladly take it and consider it a success to me.

In fact once the markups disappear I'll walk on down to my local Toyota, pick one up and immediately store it under cover for 20 years, then after carefully crafting my plan I'll join SupraMKVI and tell everyone how much the upcoming car is gonna suck :p
Sponsored