Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
But i'd argue that is demand, People being excited about the car and willing to pay a premium is by definition demand. It doesn't matter if that's driven by rational thought or people that are fanboys willing to jump on anything with a supra name, it's all demand. In this case a car is given a markup because there is some excitement (demand) behind it.

There was demand for the NSX for a number of reasons which inspired those initial markups. Was it a sales failure, can't argue there at all, but it also achieved Performance car of the year, which to me seems somewhat of a success based on it's goals as a halo car.

If the Supra is a sales flop but is also Performance car of the year, i'll gladly take it and consider it a success to me.

In fact once the markups disappear I'll walk on down to my local Toyota, pick one up and immediately store it under cover for 20 years, then after carefully crafting my plan I'll join SupraMKVI and tell everyone how much the upcoming car is gonna suck :p
Itā€™s really not. You donā€™t understand the definition of demand.

100 cars for sale, 10 people buy for over sticker, 90 cars remain, does not make the car in demand. When the car dies due to no demand will you still consider it in demand? Donā€™t twist reality.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

100 cars for sale, 10 people buy for over sticker, 90 cars remain, does not make the car in demand. When the car dies due to no demand will you still consider it in demand? Donā€™t twist reality.
The problem with your statement is that cars are only marked up when there aren't many available. No one is paying over sticker when there is an abundance of cars and dealers with those cars

10 cars for sale, 100 people want them, 10 pay over sticker, 0 cars remain

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma

No I understand the concept of demand perfectly fine thanks. If a car with a markup doesn't sell the markup disappears and it sells assuming it was priced appropriately for the market (something the NSX was not)

While there will always be people willing to pay initial markups like they did with the NSX if those markups continue it's a sign that there is a demand for a product that is so high people are willing to pay more to get one earlier or in some rare cars, get one at all.

With all that said at this point there is nothing that could lead any of us to make any accurate predictions regarding the level of demand for this car. We don't know a price, and more importantly have no idea how many cars they plan to produce so any comment on supply or demand is pure speculation. In your example if they only produce 10 cars not 100, the car sells out and is a success and is in even more demand.

Now if Toyota messes up and prices the car at a point where the MRSP doesn't create enough demand (like the NSX) or produces more cars then they can sell (like in your example) then they've got a problem and need to sell off cars but once again that depends on two facts we don't know, amount of cars produced and the price of the cars

At this point we have heard rumours pointing towards the fact that the car could achieve cayman level for performance at a cheaper price which sounds like a recipe for success to me, but like you I am only guessing

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
No I understand the concept of demand perfectly fine thanks. If a car with a markup doesn't sell the markup disappears and it sells assuming it was priced appropriately for the market (something the NSX was not)

While there will always be people willing to pay initial markups like they did with the NSX if those markups continue it's a sign that there is a demand for a product that is so high people are willing to pay more to get one earlier or in some rare cars, get one at all.

With all that said at this point there is nothing that could lead any of us to make any accurate predictions regarding the level of demand for this car. We don't know a price, and more importantly have no idea how many cars they plan to produce so any comment on supply or demand is pure speculation. In your example if they only produce 10 cars not 100, the car sells out and is a success and is in even more demand.

Now if Toyota messes up and prices the car at a point where the MRSP doesn't create enough demand (like the NSX) or produces more cars then they can sell (like in your example) then they've got a problem and need to sell off cars but once again that depends on two facts we don't know, amount of cars produced and the price of the cars

At this point we have heard rumours pointing towards the fact that the car could achieve cayman level for performance at a cheaper price which sounds like a recipe for success to me, but like you I am only guessing
You missed the point again.

We are not talking about the Supra because there are no numbers to look at yet. We are talking about the NSX which is not selling, markup or not. It is well known fact there is no demand for the nsx yet you said you consider it in demand based solely because of the markup. All I was saying a markup does not make a car in demand.

Thatā€™s all I got.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
The problem with your statement is that cars are only marked up when there aren't many available. No one is paying over sticker when there is an abundance of cars and dealers with those cars

10 cars for sale, 100 people want them, 10 pay over sticker, 0 cars remain
What does that have anything to do with what we were talking about? I was using an example that a markup does not necessarily mean the car is in high demand. I never said a car in high demand doesnā€™t sell for over sticker.

Look up the stats on the new NSX as an example that discredits your statement.

Why is it so difficult to stay on point.....

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Excitement leads to frustration. Frustration leads to hate. Hate leads to anger. Anger leads to suffering.

landscape-1513930163-star-wars-yoda.jpg

Lol.

More like some peopleā€™s excitement leads to dumbness. Dumbness leads to bullshit. Bullshit leads to frustration. Frustration leads to I donā€™t give a fuck anymore.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
You missed the point again.

We are not talking about the Supra because there are no numbers to look at yet. We are talking about the NSX which is not selling, markup or not. It is well known fact there is no demand for the nsx yet you said you consider it in demand based solely because of the markup. All I was saying a markup does not make a car in demand.

Thatā€™s all I got.
No i realize you aren't talking about Supra numbers, but my original comment and point was that if there is a markup on the Supra there must be demand and the response was that the NSX was an example that had a markup yet didn't sell. I never said there is continued demand for the NSX, I said there WAS initial demand for the NSX which was the reason for the original markup. When that demand faded, so did the markup.

And as per my example If they produced 10 NSX's instead of 100 and sold them all it would have stayed in demand. The Supra will be the same thing, its demand will be based on the amount produced and the price.

But the whole point of my reply wasn't whether or not there would be Supra demand or not (that remains to be seen clearly), it was regarding the concern that a 10K markup would keep people from buying the Supra. What I was saying is that If the markup was in place and stayed that way enough that it became a barrier for for people to purchase the car then that would mean that the car would have to be in demand as otherwise the markup would fade like it did with the NSX as there wouldn't be enough interested potential customers to justify the markup

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
No i realize you aren't talking about Supra numbers, but my original comment and point was that if there is a markup on the Supra there must be demand and the response was that the NSX was an example that had a markup yet didn't sell. I never said there is continued demand for the NSX, I said there WAS initial demand for the NSX which was the reason for the original markup. When that demand faded, so did the markup.

And as per my example If they produced 10 NSX's instead of 100 and sold them all it would have stayed in demand. The Supra will be the same thing, its demand will be based on the amount produced and the price.

But the whole point of my reply wasn't whether or not there would be Supra demand or not (that remains to be seen clearly), it was regarding the concern that a 10K markup would keep people from buying the Supra. What I was saying is that If the markup was in place and stayed that way enough that it became a barrier for for people to purchase the car then that would mean that the car would have to be in demand as otherwise the markup would fade like it did with the NSX as there wouldn't be enough interested potential customers to justify the markup
CF286164-3F47-44A5-8571-3A4BE323591E.jpeg

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

Dude, your just wrong. NSX still has markups and no one is buying it. End of discussion. (Lol)

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
What does that have anything to do with what we were talking about? I was using an example that a markup does not necessarily mean the car is in high demand. I never said a car in high demand doesnā€™t sell for over sticker.

Look up the stats on the new NSX as an example that discredits your statement.

Why is it so difficult to stay on point.....
The NSX has been around for quite some time now...do you have the stats on the revised NSX?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Saw this on reddit but had me laugh because outside of one of these, people expect too much

"The new Supra sucks. Look at all the things wrong with it.

• Not brown
  • Not a Miata
  • No manual
  • Not a diesel rotary V8
  • Not a wagon
  • Can't buy it used from the factory
Come on. Are they even trying?"
Sponsored