Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
You do realize that you are the only one that says/claims completely differently from all other sources yet not a single word or hint from Toyota is backing up a single thing you claim.

I just find it interesting. I’ll leave you and your minions be but this thread smells funny.
Actually hes not. Moto (guy pictured below and a good friend of Tada) also hinted at a lot of stuff that has been mention by A70. You can read all about it on his different social media platforms: FB, IG, and Club4AG.

1. New engine with special material for the block.
2. Weights around 3,150lbs.
3. More than just a reskin BMW Z4.

IMG_3515-e1532128068734.jpg
Advertisement

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Fangirls and PR agents are working at full force, this botched project Supra should have been an in house design, power around 500-570hp starting at $80K with optional paddle shifters.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

Modal170

Reaction score
Car(s)
Fangirls and PR agents are working at full force, this botched project Supra should have been an in house design, power around 500-570hp starting at $80K with optional paddle shifters.
So, a car no one of the regular public can afford reasonably? Understood.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
The poll makes me laugh a bit because this Supra is using a Z4 chassis, engine and pretty much structure under the panels and resin parts.
But the expectations that its an NSX (Honda and Acura's flagship sub-exotic slash super car type of vehicle) and GTR (Nissan's and Infiniti's flagship Porsche 911 beater and deemed practical super car) is ridiculous....

Toyota's flagship vehicles are under the Lexus brand... hence why they are partnering up with others to help with Toyota branded sports cars.

If anyone here has worked with Lexus and Toyota Japanese engineers over there you would know that Lexus has their own levels and on the higher floors and all the engineering experience that worked on the 90s sports cars are mostly working under the Lexus brand now... they even have different work staff jackets and hats. Lexus is Toyota's supercar and premium performance division... the NSX and GTR competitors are the ISF, GSF, RCF, LSF (soon), LC500 (soon LC-F) and the LFA (Soon LFA replacement).

BMW will also soup-up their Z4 with their M division...

Toyota has Gazoo (replaces TRD Japan as tuning/race division) to produce a race-track version, which will be stripped down enough so its not road legal and would be available for racing teams to produce race cars globally.

This Supra is a hard-top, Toyota-styled Z4.... which is GREAT, affordable and good bang for your buck at that market range... its not going to beat Porsches nor GTRs... stock anyways, but its a good alternative for people stuck between the 370Z (soon 400ZX) and GTRs and even upper tier Corvettes.

In essence the LC500 and RCF are the modern day "Supras", as in Toyota's flagship sports cars that arent super-elite rare like the LFA is....

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
The poll makes me laugh a bit because this Supra is using a Z4 chassis, engine and pretty much structure under the panels and resin parts.
But the expectations that its an NSX (Honda and Acura's flagship sub-exotic slash super car type of vehicle) and GTR (Nissan's and Infiniti's flagship Porsche 911 beater and deemed practical super car) is ridiculous....

Toyota's flagship vehicles are under the Lexus brand... hence why they are partnering up with others to help with Toyota branded sports cars.

If anyone here has worked with Lexus and Toyota Japanese engineers over there you would know that Lexus has their own levels and on the higher floors and all the engineering experience that worked on the 90s sports cars are mostly working under the Lexus brand now... they even have different work staff jackets and hats. Lexus is Toyota's supercar and premium performance division... the NSX and GTR competitors are the ISF, GSF, RCF, LSF (soon), LC500 (soon LC-F) and the LFA (Soon LFA replacement).

BMW will also soup-up their Z4 with their M division...

Toyota has Gazoo (replaces TRD Japan as tuning/race division) to produce a race-track version, which will be stripped down enough so its not road legal and would be available for racing teams to produce race cars globally.

This Supra is a hard-top, Toyota-styled Z4.... which is GREAT, affordable and good bang for your buck at that market range... its not going to beat Porsches nor GTRs... stock anyways, but its a good alternative for people stuck between the 370Z (soon 400ZX) and GTRs and even upper tier Corvettes.

In essence the LC500 and RCF are the modern day "Supras", as in Toyota's flagship sports cars that arent super-elite rare like the LFA is....
I agree with this

Yet the LC and RCF weigh more than the R35 and NC1

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
I think I've mentioned this before, but, the release of this car is almost exactly as drawn out as the 86's was. And this forum has been exactly like FT86Club during those early days. We fought and complained and speculated and prayed about a thousand different things, AE86 enthusiasts came and expressed their disgust for Toyota's "lack of heritage" and then left, and people complained about power and engine type and reliability and build quality and cost, etc, etc. In the end, though, the car came out, it was really good, and most everyone was happy. And from there the forum transitioned to being an owner's club rather than an opinion board. I have no doubt this will be the same way, so you guys really don't need to stress too much about writing manifestos to Toyota or battling opinions of your peers that you may not agree with. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I've think mentioned this before, but, the release of this car is almost exactly as drawn out as the 86's was. And this forum has been exactly like FT86Club during those early days. We fought and complained and speculated and prayed about a thousand different things, AE86 enthusiasts came and expressed their disgust for Toyota's "lack of heritage" and then left, and people complained about power and engine type and reliability and build quality and cost, etc, etc. In the end, though, the car came out, it was really good, and most everyone was happy. And from there the forum transitioned to being an owner's club rather than an opinion board. I have no doubt this will be the same way, so you guys really don't need to stress too much about writing manifestos to Toyota or battling opinions of your peers that you may not agree with. :thumbsup:
While I agree with you that it may end up the same way.. there are large differences between the two projects..

1) FRS/BRZ was an all JDM car.
2) It was a new name for the car even though they did reference the 86 in certain markets. It was mainly a new car that used the formula from the past.
3) If the Supra name was not used here... the comparisons will stop and people will take this Zupra for what it is as opposed to pitching it against the past.
4) last time japs and Germans allied.. japan ended up with two nuclear bombs in its backyard.

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree with you that it may end up the same way.. there are large differences between the two projects..

2) It was a new name for the car even though they did reference the 86 in certain markets. It was mainly a new car that used the formula from the past.
3) If the Supra name was not used here... the comparisons will stop and people will take this Zupra for what it is as opposed to pitching it against the past.
4) last time japs and Germans allied.. japan ended up with two nuclear bombs in its backyard.
Lmaoo yes, the axis of evil usually spells trouble. No doubt it won't be exactly the same, but I think both myself and the some of the OG FT86Club guys all kind of sit back and chuckle because of all the similarities between the two projects. Either way, not stressing about it is important! :thumbsup:

tha7osavage

Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX

#4 made me lol.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
While I agree to some extent (the 86 is not a great car, it’s cheap thrills garbage and a lot of left the forum because of it) I will agree that naturally this forum will transition to owners forum, although on a much smaller scale due to the affordability factor. You’ll still have a bunch of kids here which will be an interesting dynamic between them and real owners.

But why even bring it up? Get rid of all the disappointed naysayers and this forum would be a very boring place, not to mention you would all think the A90 weighs 2,890 pounds, has a Toyota spec engine and that it does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. A real nsx, GTR fighter that smokes porches.

You should be thankful for the honest folks around here to bring a much needed balance or this forum would be a joke.

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree to some extent (the 86 is not a great car, it’s cheap thrills garbage and a lot of left the forum because of it) I will agree that naturally this forum will transition to owners forum, although on a much smaller scale due to the affordability factor. You’ll still have a bunch of kids here which will be an interesting dynamic between them and real owners.

But why even bring it up? Get rid of all the disappointed naysayers and this forum would be a very boring place, not to mention you would all think the A90 weighs 2,890 pounds, has a Toyota spec engine and that it does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. A real nsx, GTR fighter that smokes porches.

You should be thankful for the honest folks around here to bring a much needed balance or this forum would be a joke.
I disagree entirely about the 86, but that's fine, I can't expect everyone to understand driving dynamics. And I think you misunderstood, I don't care about naysayers, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just telling people to stop creating campaigns and vendettas against other personas on the internet and then leaving the rest of us to mop up the verbal diarrhea that is left in its wake.

And please, don't inflate your ego so much to think that you're doing us a service by being an "honest person", you've got an opinion like the rest of us, and its just as valuable (or worthless perhaps) as anyone elses. Seriously dude, idk why you're trying to be such an elitist on a car forum. Not being an asshole is a pretty easy ask, try it out.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I disagree entirely about the 86, but that's fine, I can't expect everyone to understand driving dynamics. And I think you misunderstood, I don't care about naysayers, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just telling people to stop creating campaigns and vendettas against other personas on the internet and then leaving the rest of us to mop up the verbal diarrhea that is left in its wake.

And please, don't inflate your ego so much to think that you're doing us a service by being an "honest person", you've got an opinion like the rest of us, and its just as valuable (or worthless perhaps) as anyone elses. Seriously dude, idk why you're trying to be such an elitist on a car forum. Not being an asshole is a pretty easy ask, try it out.
I speak my mind and I do the same thing you do, but with brutal honesty and I don’t like to sugarcoat things. As far as the whole elitist things go, read some of your own comments. You seem like a nice guy, you really do but pay attention to the things you say "I can’t expect everyone to understand driving dynamics" is a total elitist mindset and comment. You did a good job moving away from it quickly and try to set a different tone but you are a hypocrite calling me names.

Not a single person who is a true car enthusiast that actually has the funds to drive a real car would ever even consider the 86. The only appeal the 86 has if you have money to blow on making it an experimental in a blue moon weekend event car that you get to beat on. Or it’s just the poor’s man car of choice. In reality, besides it’s handling potential it’s a p.o.s. What in the world is that engine? Interior? Even in the looks department it suffers and it looks and feels cheap as hell. There are much better options out there. It’s a freaking scion for god sake.

I know you like it, but it does not make it a great car.

I understand the power you have over me on this forum so naturally you can do as you wish but I never called you names so a little self reflection on your end wouldn’t hurt.

On another note, you don’t know anything about me. You have no idea what cars I own or owned or my driving skills set. I am amused at how much love you have for the 86. A one trick pony.

Advertisement

Advertisement