Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Hypersonic door guards work (sort of) up to 65 mph. After that buffeting is horrible. Anybody who claims these are the answer beyond that speed is FOS. A tuned Supra exceeds 65 mph so quickly that that is a useless benchmark. If someone can show that the other cheap Amazon door guards work better I'd be interested.
Sponsored

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Hypersonic door guards work (sort of) up to 65 mph. After that buffeting is horrible. Anybody who claims these are the answer beyond that speed is FOS. A tuned Supra exceeds 65 mph so quickly that that is a useless benchmark. If someone can show that the other cheap Amazon door guards work better I'd be interested.
I posted this a few months ago:

I got to test the YSWY edge guards on the highway over the weekend. Up to 80mph, I got no buffeting with both windows down. With driver’s window down I got minor buffeting over 70mph, and with passenger window down I got a bit more buffeting over 60mp. I’ll have to retest passenger window next time my wife rides with me. Considering that practically every sports car and SUV I’ve ever owned has had buffeting to some degree or another, this is the best $10 I’ve spent on any car.

https://www.amazon.com/Stickers-Pro...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PNSMJMATFFEEW6NDYZMF

Your wind pressure might vary.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I just ordered these. We'll see how they compare to Hypersonic.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I just ordered these. We'll see how they compare to Hypersonic.
You’ll need to cut a bit of the lower end. I used the included tape to draw an angled line for a cleaner fit. You could take the time to draw a curved line, and if you’re good with a blade, you could get an even better fit.

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1 Year Update:

Just chiming in and giving a 1 year update. I've been running with this cheap setup and have been happy with with price/performance ratio. They blend right into the car and I don't even notice them. They are 7mm thick and they don't taper like some of the other designs shown here. Hence, I feel they have a higher wind deflection ratio and lower the helicopter blade effect vs the tapered versions.

However, they are not fool proof and you do still hear some buffering at highway speeds but I'm totally fine with them. For $10 they accomplish what Toyota couldn't do. If you really want to ride with the windows down for a long distance doing triple digits and zero buffeting, then probably something with a larger wing would be more appropriate for your application. But for daily driving, these fit the bill for my purposes. The direct buyer where I purchased them from on Amazon is not listed currently but this is the style that I have below.

cb81711e-2c62-4fdd-b5a0-416698bae364._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
3fa51e8b-5d65-4a82-b579-8949bcb994a1._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
1 Year Update:

Just chiming in and giving a 1 year update. I've been running with this cheap setup and have been happy with with price/performance ratio. They blend right into the car and I don't even notice them. They are 7mm thick and they don't taper like some of the other designs shown here. Hence, I feel they have a higher wind deflection ratio and lower the helicopter blade effect vs the tapered versions.

However, they are not fool proof and you do still hear some buffering at highway speeds but I'm totally fine with them. For $10 they accomplish what Toyota couldn't do. If you really want to ride with the windows down for a long distance doing triple digits and zero buffeting, then probably something with a larger wing would be more appropriate for your application. But for daily driving, these fit the bill for my purposes. The direct buyer where I purchased them from on Amazon is not listed currently but this is the style that I have below.

cb81711e-2c62-4fdd-b5a0-416698bae364._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
3fa51e8b-5d65-4a82-b579-8949bcb994a1._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
I bought the same ones and my experience has been the same. I've spent a lot more money on things that were far less useful.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I tried rolling with the $9.00 fix but hated how they looked like a $9.00 fix on a 60K car. So I ended up plopping down the $130.00 for the gloss black wind deflectors.
Which $130 ones? I have some CF ones which I do not like the look of on the car - I think piano black looks much better on this spot. Interested in the higher-quality than the $9 fixes in this thread.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Which $130 ones? I have some CF ones which I do not like the look of on the car - I think piano black looks much better on this spot. Interested in the higher-quality than the $9 fixes in this thread.
Have you tried the $9 fix? For $9 why not try it first? They really do blend in so well as to be practically invisible. Looks factory and works well.

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
Have you tried the $9 fix? For $9 why not try it first? They really do blend in so well as to be practically invisible. Looks factory and works well.
This. If you're not actually looking, you'll easily dismiss the $9 fix as an OEM window seal.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I haven't! They are on the way from Amazon - both kinds. Just considering my options.

TheKrumpet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Honda S2000, 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Base (SOLD
I just posted a thread on my fix. Installed the Verus Engineering carbon fiber wind deflectors.

Here is a link to the thread: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/fixing-the-wind-buffeting-issue-on-the-a90.5118/

Link to video:

I absolutely love this product. It completely cures the wind buffeting issue for me.

Cheers,
-V

Mirror & Wind Deflect.png
I initially got the Amazon Hypersonic door guards as a fix, but I couldn't drive over 55 without a lot of buffeting (crosswind made it terrible; maybe I didn't put them on right?), but wanted to cruise through the country with my windows down so ended up splurging on the Verus Engineering deflectors. They work significantly better with no buffeting up to about 75mph which works for when I'm cruisin, but now with the windows up I get strong wind noise at both windows...I kind of just deal with it, but does anyone else notice increased wind noise with windows up with Verus wind deflectors?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I initially got the Amazon Hypersonic door guards as a fix, but I couldn't drive over 55 without a lot of buffeting (crosswind made it terrible; maybe I didn't put them on right?), but wanted to cruise through the country with my windows down so ended up splurging on the Verus Engineering deflectors. They work significantly better with no buffeting up to about 75mph which works for when I'm cruisin, but now with the windows up I get strong wind noise at both windows...I kind of just deal with it, but does anyone else notice increased wind noise with windows up with Verus wind deflectors?
I get a small whistle from my driver’s side deflector with the window up. I need to blue tape it and pinpoint the source. I bet its from one of the sharp corners of the triangular shape. A very small piece of double sided tape should take care of it.

-RJM

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I initially got the Amazon Hypersonic door guards as a fix, but I couldn't drive over 55 without a lot of buffeting (crosswind made it terrible; maybe I didn't put them on right?)
I got the YSWY door guards (I like their styling better than Hypersonic), and tested them up to 80mph and had zero buffeting with both windows down. Buffeting occurs at lower speeds if only one window is down, and the lowest is with passenger window down.

Suprasonic

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF; 13 Land Cruiser, 19 4Runner; 03 Land Cr
I've heard a lot of discussion about the wind buffeting issue. Today I tested the 2022 A91-CF with one and both windows down, travelling from 0-55 mph. I'm pleased to report that there was no wind buffeting at any speed in that range. I was very surprised, considering all the discussion about it. I'm very familiar with wind buffeting, because when the kids roll the rear windows down in the SUV's, the buffeting hurts your ears in the driver's seat. However, in the Supra I experienced no wind buffeting. I had a passenger in the car who can attest to the same.

I'll test above 55 mph later this week.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I've heard a lot of discussion about the wind buffeting issue. Today I tested the 2022 A91-CF with one and both windows down, travelling from 0-55 mph. I'm pleased to report that there was no wind buffeting at any speed in that range. I was very surprised, considering all the discussion about it. I'm very familiar with wind buffeting, because when the kids roll the rear windows down in the SUV's, the buffeting hurts your ears in the driver's seat. However, in the Supra I experienced no wind buffeting. I had a passenger in the car who can attest to the same.

I'll test above 55 mph later this week.
That's good news!

If it is also fixed >55mph, can you provide a clear image of the mirrors or side profile of the car so we can maybe figure out if it is different from the other cars?
Sponsored