Wouldnt Rev after starting

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Hey! Did this issue get resolved? - Picked up a 2021 Supra, had 1300 Kms on it - today after a short 20 min drive, parked it - and started it (Outside temperature was 43C)and bam! No power, wouldn't rev - I put it in drive, and after 2 seconds - it came back to normal!

So wondering did anyone ever get to resolve this issue? Thanks!
No fix as of yet. In the meantime donā€™t go using your Supra as a get away car. ?

-RJM
Sponsored

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Hey! Did this issue get resolved? - Picked up a 2021 Supra, had 1300 Kms on it - today after a short 20 min drive, parked it - and started it (Outside temperature was 43C)and bam! No power, wouldn't rev - I put it in drive, and after 2 seconds - it came back to normal!

So wondering did anyone ever get to resolve this issue? Thanks!
~ A bmw thing.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
~ A bmw thing.
This is an ongoing blame. Can you be specific?

Here's my own experience for anyone saying this.
CURRENTLY own from oldest to recent

'03 E85 Z4 over 10 years owning from 64k miles to now 108k miles, ESS S/C added at 104k with SS Ceramic coated racing dynamic headers, full super sprint SS exhaust post headers.

'11 E82 128 1 1/2 years owning got at 96k miles now at 104k used as daily for the last year and a half until...

'07 E86 Z4 with 31k miles used as a daily for the last 2 months.

NONE of these have the issues in this thread or the other in the throttle hesitation thread.
So if you claim "BMW" issue. Please state which model and year run that You have experienced.

I decided for the time being to get the E86 recently and in a few years use it as my dedicated track car while I wait in getting a MKV till more issues are worked out, and more new are actually available locally.

And again in truth as mentioned in a different thread here or on the other supra board I had more problematic issues in my MK3 than I've had in any of the cars listed above that are currently in my garage/driveway. That's why I ask on specifics. Don't want to sound like a douche or harsh, but rather my first hand experience with my own cars. And my nephew who has a F30 3 series and not experienced this issue either for the last year he's had it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
This is an ongoing blame. Can you be specific?

Here's my own experience for anyone saying this.
CURRENTLY own from oldest to recent

'03 E85 Z4 over 10 years owning from 64k miles to now 108k miles, ESS S/C added at 104k with SS Ceramic coated racing dynamic headers, full super sprint SS exhaust post headers.

'11 E82 128 1 1/2 years owning got at 96k miles now at 104k used as daily for the last year and a half until...

'07 E86 Z4 with 31k miles used as a daily for the last 2 months.

NONE of these have the issues in this thread or the other in the throttle hesitation thread.
So if you claim "BMW" issue. Please state which model and year run that You have experienced.

I decided for the time being to get the E86 recently and in a few years use it as my dedicated track car while I wait in getting a MKV till more issues are worked out, and more new are actually available locally.

And again in truth as mentioned in a different thread here or on the other supra board I had more problematic issues in my MK3 than I've had in any of the cars listed above that are currently in my garage/driveway. That's why I ask on specifics. Don't want to sound like a douche or harsh, but rather my first hand experience with my own cars. And my nephew who has a F30 3 series and not experienced this issue either for the last year he's had it.
Old models, old tech. It's a "BMW thing" because the manual says it's normal. Just because your 10 year old BMW doesn't do it, doesn't mean new ones won't. It's just an engine protection that won't allow you to freely rev it unless conditions are right.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Old models, old tech. It's a "BMW thing" because the manual says it's normal. Just because your 10 year old BMW doesn't do it, doesn't mean new ones won't. It's just an engine protection that won't allow you to freely rev it unless conditions are right.
That's why I'd like specifics. Engine, chassis code, anything more than "its a bmw thing". This seems problematic with the MKV that everyone has had in every real world condition while driving come up that's posted in this thread or the other, hot, cold, rain, snow, dry, best warm temps for the perfect drive, cold start, warm engine, stand still, while driving, stopped car for a second, started car from sitting all night, so "just because it's not the right condition" Well, what condition is the "right" one? That answer would solve both threads on the matter. From those owning "newer" BMWs, by saying "its a BMW thing" kind of clumps ALL BMWs. If we had say, if this happens in 3 series from 2017-2021 that'd be a bit more to go on, than "it's a BMW thing" The F30 328 that my nephew has is a 2013 so under the 10 year mark with 30kish for miles. So under a decade of a car with not the same issue.
Don't get me wrong I still want a MKV one day so I'm not bashing the car by any means, but with this on going issue it's lead me to believe that there's a gremlin somewhere. Maybe someone living in either Germany or Japan could shed the light on "perfect" conditions for there to not be this issue.

Edit: I know you'll know better than me where to look, here's the 2021 z4 manual, where should I look in regard to this circumstance in the two thread's we're talking about? I wasn't able to find it skimming 332 pages that it is: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html I just took a vin from car gurus and pasted it to look it up, if it doesn't come up for you.

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's why I'd like specifics. Engine, chassis code, anything more than "its a bmw thing". This seems problematic with the MKV that everyone has had in every real world condition while driving come up that's posted in this thread or the other, hot, cold, rain, snow, dry, best warm temps for the perfect drive, cold start, warm engine, stand still, while driving, stopped car for a second, started car from sitting all night, so "just because it's not the right condition" Well, what condition is the "right" one? That answer would solve both threads on the matter. From those owning "newer" BMWs, by saying "its a BMW thing" kind of clumps ALL BMWs. If we had say, if this happens in 3 series from 2017-2021 that'd be a bit more to go on, than "it's a BMW thing" The F30 328 that my nephew has is a 2013 so under the 10 year mark with 30kish for miles. So under a decade of a car with not the same issue.
Don't get me wrong I still want a MKV one day so I'm not bashing the car by any means, but with this on going issue it's lead me to believe that there's a gremlin somewhere. Maybe someone living in either Germany or Japan could shed the light on "perfect" conditions for there to not be this issue.

Edit: I know you'll know better than me where to look, here's the 2021 z4 manual, where should I look in regard to this circumstance in the two thread's we're talking about? I wasn't able to find it skimming 332 pages that it is: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html I just took a vin from car gurus and pasted it to look it up, if it doesn't come up for you.
Here
Screenshot_20210710-061937_Samsung Internet.jpg

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
I was hoping you'd be able to find that statement in the 2021 bmw z4 owners manual and tell me what page rather than what you posted previously from the supra manual you found. In the entire "driving" section starting on page 118 of the 2021 z4 manual, nor is it in the safety, or things to remember section, nor refueling or fuel section detailing approved fuels to use. I don't see what you've posted mentioned in the 2021 Z4 manual. That way maybe we could say instead of "it's a BMW thing" I'd be more happy to oblige it's a "NEW BMW thing". And this makes sense ONLY if it was consistently within a 30sec or so window from start up. People are having issues after they've been driving, pull up to a stop light, then try and go and nothing much past the 30secish window.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was hoping you'd be able to find that statement in the 2021 bmw z4 owners manual and tell me what page rather than what you posted previously from the supra manual you found. In the entire "driving" section starting on page 118 of the 2021 z4 manual, nor is it in the safety, or things to remember section, nor refueling or fuel section detailing approved fuels to use. I don't see what you've posted mentioned in the 2021 Z4 manual. That way maybe we could say instead of "it's a BMW thing" I'd be more happy to oblige it's a "NEW BMW thing". And this makes sense ONLY if it was consistently within a 30sec or so window from start up. People are having issues after they've been driving, pull up to a stop light, then try and go and nothing much past the 30secish window.
Nobody has had that randomly during driving. Only right after startup. It can happen hot or cold engine. But it goes away shortly after putting the car in gear.

It's in the Supra manual, because that's what we drive. But I've read about it on BMW forums too, so it's definitely a "BMW thing"

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This has happened to me a handful of times. Most commonly after I reconnect the battery after doing some kind of work to the car. Like the owner noted above, this is normal for these cars and an internal mechanism used to protect the engine. Did the OP or anyone else experiencing this issue have some form of killswitch in the car?
Sponsored