Wouldnt Rev after starting

D-VO

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra (a91) Tungsten
Hey guys. I think this will be my second post on this forum and unfortunately its the same issue. I've never tried to blip the throttle after a cold start, but this morning I chose to do so in sport mode and was met with the 1200rpm issue. I figured "Meh whatevs" then reversed out of my driveway. After putting it in drive and accelerating a little, the car stalled on me then went into neutral. I started the car up again, attempted to accelerate but got a stumble up to 2000rpm. After that it drove fine. Went to the gym for 45 minutes, started in sport mode then drove away with no issue.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Just to see since it was relevant to this thread, I started mine in sport mode and gave the throttle a bit of a blip to see. Ambient was 33F at the time, and the temperature warning popped up in the HUD the second it finished the normal startup procedure (and prior to me actually starting the engine).

Obviously considering the conditions I didn't give it much throttle, but it happily shot up to ~3000 RPM without the slightest hesitation. Clearly there is something at work here beyond "cold start protection" no matter how vehemently some may argue the contrary.

I've never experienced the problem and am now on my second time of starting daily in near freezing temperatures. So either my cold start limiter is broken... or the ones having this problem are. Considering Toyota granted a buyback to the OP... I'm going with the latter.

Granted we never get much below 30F all winter long... much of it decently above that, but I haven't seen it in dozens of starts under 32F last year, nor any 13K miles & 12 months later either. I wouldn't be surprised at there being a coding problem that's gone un-diagnosed in some models (maybe the thermal calibration is off for those sensors?).

Even on normal cold starts - without touching the pedal at all - the RPMs blip above 1200 on mine... though just for a second. At least on the tach, the needle goes to just under the 1500 mark - hard to say with a digital display how accurate it really is, but I doubt the margin is more than 100 RPM in the worst cases. I'm sure like most gauges it's truly accurate only in a specific range and the variance increase on both sides of that.

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I've had this RPM limit issue a few times. I fixed it by driving the car more, driving it harder and not trying to rev it at startup. It's going to sound odd, but these cars (BMW's) like to be driven very hard. Same shit with my e90 m3 and my F87 M2. The more I babied it, the more it would act up..throw all kinds of weird and random errors, driving inconsistencies. The more I drove the piss out of them, the better they responded. I also tuned my car (2020), worked on datalogging maps with a well known tuning company, and the more that we adjusted throttle response, throttle closures, fueling, etc...the better the car reacted in daily driving scenarios. The stock tuning on these cars are honestly a mess. When I first bought the car, it was doing exactly what you are explaining. Wouldn't rev, very putsy for the first few miles on the road, clunky at times. I just kept driving it and giving it more accel after warm up, it just began responding better and better over time. To a lot of people, this is not normal and they will freak out. In my opinion, after owning enough BMW's you sort of learn how to operate them with all of their quirks. As much as I would love to say this issue will be resolved in two years when you want another supra, it probably won't. It really is just their nature, and it may not be the whip for you. But that paint shit, id be annoyed there for sure. Personally, I would have just requested money off of the car. Cars get chips, paint damage, road wear, etc. It will never stay perfect if you drive it, but thats just my opinion.. I totally understand not wanting to keep your new supra that was defective, your decision makes complete sense to me. The backup cam issue could've been resolved for sure though.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I've had this RPM limit issue a few times. I fixed it by driving the car more, driving it harder and not trying to rev it at startup. It's going to sound odd, but these cars (BMW's) like to be driven very hard. Same shit with my e90 m3 and my F87 M2. The more I babied it, the more it would act up..throw all kinds of weird and random errors, driving inconsistencies. The more I drove the piss out of them, the better they responded. I also tuned my car (2020), worked on datalogging maps with a well known tuning company, and the more that we adjusted throttle response, throttle closures, fueling, etc...the better the car reacted in daily driving scenarios. The stock tuning on these cars are honestly a mess. When I first bought the car, it was doing exactly what you are explaining. Wouldn't rev, very putsy for the first few miles on the road, clunky at times. I just kept driving it and giving it more accel after warm up, it just began responding better and better over time. To a lot of people, this is not normal and they will freak out. In my opinion, after owning enough BMW's you sort of learn how to operate them with all of their quirks. As much as I would love to say this issue will be resolved in two years when you want another supra, it probably won't. It really is just their nature, and it may not be the whip for you. But that paint shit, id be annoyed there for sure. Personally, I would have just requested money off of the car. Cars get chips, paint damage, road wear, etc. It will never stay perfect if you drive it, but thats just my opinion.. I totally understand not wanting to keep your new supra that was defective, your decision makes complete sense to me. The backup cam issue could've been resolved for sure though.
I appreciate your honest response. I have to agree with the stock tuning. I always wondered if i would have had the car tuned if alot of these computer problems would have gone away. As for paint i understand chips ect... but this was clear coat problems all over the passenger side and it seems to happen to the red cars (some of them). At least the ones ive seen. I loved the car so i really hope they come out with some sort of software fix so its consistent among all supras.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4

I had to copy this video to put here, it was posted in another topic on the forum here.
skip to roughly halfway in and it looks like he's having the rev issue from this lengthen thread. I'm not sure about "newer" bwms, but my 03 E85 Z4 has NEVER done this. In the 10 years 40k+ miles I've owned it (now at 108k total miles) NEVER. Including when I later put a ess s/c kit. Pushing it on track or babying it. Nor my 2011 128i. Which is my daily and not pushed at all stock tune n52 3.0. Also driven but not owned a few Z3s can't remember engines now though (if you know Z3 history you'll know why I can't remember which engine, never a 1.8 though) For the BMW owners here saying "it's a bmw thing" Please post year model and trim engine ex . Your experience identical, or similar but not quite? Is it a post 2012 or so on issue? I've driven 8 Z4's all E85s, no E86 Coupes but in every US released engine for the E85, m54 3.0,2.5, n52 3.0i, 3.0si and s54 Z4M never once experiencing the rev issues in this thread or of "it's a bmw thing". I don't want to sound like I'm die hard BMW ra ra sis boom ba in this post, just also giving my experience, but saying it's normal, have I been driving Abby Normal cars? (I sure hope someone gets that last part)

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase

I had to copy this video to put here, it was posted in another topic on the forum here.
skip to roughly halfway in and it looks like he's having the rev issue from this lengthen thread. I'm not sure about "newer" bwms, but my 03 E85 Z4 has NEVER done this. In the 10 years 40k+ miles I've owned it (now at 108k total miles) NEVER. Including when I later put a ess s/c kit. Pushing it on track or babying it. Nor my 2011 128i. Which is my daily and not pushed at all stock tune n52 3.0. Also driven but not owned a few Z3s can't remember engines now though (if you know Z3 history you'll know why I can't remember which engine, never a 1.8 though) For the BMW owners here saying "it's a bmw thing" Please post year model and trim engine ex . Your experience identical, or similar but not quite? Is it a post 2012 or so on issue? I've driven 8 Z4's all E85s, no E86 Coupes but in every US released engine for the E85, m54 3.0,2.5, n52 3.0i, 3.0si and s54 Z4M never once experiencing the rev issues in this thread or of "it's a bmw thing". I don't want to sound like I'm die hard BMW ra ra sis boom ba in this post, just also giving my experience, but saying it's normal, have I been driving Abby Normal cars? (I sure hope someone gets that last part)
Yup that is exactly what mine was doing. It started happening like once a week then progressed to everyday to every start. For people saying its normal i just dont believe that. If it was consistent throughout all supras then yes but there have been many here saying they never experienced it or just started experiencing it after so many miles on the car ect... and when i tested it i barely put my foot on the pedal. Only a few times i put the pedal to the floor for test purposes.

Toyota bought my car back and they wouldnt have done so if they didnt think it was normal.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Yup that is exactly what mine was doing. It started happening like once a week then progressed to everyday to every start. For people saying its normal i just dont believe that. If it was consistent throughout all supras then yes but there have been many here saying they never experienced it or just started experiencing it after so many miles on the car ect... and when i tested it i barely put my foot on the pedal. Only a few times i put the pedal to the floor for test purposes.

Toyota bought my car back and they wouldnt have done so if they didnt think it was normal.
What's the lowest mileage we've seen on here now for it? The 2020 that I test drove had maybe 17 miles on it and an a91 I looked at had maybe 50 and the time I was in both of those there wasn't any issue off them. As it's looking from here it's happening in various assembly from beginning to present so not really a pin point from a production stand point. It's funny it could be something so simple as an outsourced sensor with bad coating or poor contact but still grabbing at straws, and with no codes thrown it's a needle in a hay stack to track down electrical gremlins. It's not deterring me from still wanting one, just still have to wait a bit.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Mine would probably be the lowest mileage one.

2021 A91, issue started happening somewhere between 100-200 miles. Ridiculous and have not heard a peep from Toyota since I reported I opened the case with them.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Mine would probably be the lowest mileage one.

2021 A91, issue started happening somewhere between 100-200 miles. Ridiculous and have not heard a peep from Toyota since I reported I opened the case with them.
Because it's NORMAL, and it's in the manual, if any of you bothered to read it.

Yes, yes, @KillxPoint come cry how Toyota bought your car back for different issues.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Because it's NORMAL, and it's in the manual, if any of you bothered to read it.

Yes, yes, @KillxPoint come cry how Toyota bought your car back for different issues.
Wow so you were there when they bought the car back? You must know everything. Oh its in the manual so it must be legit. The news must always tell the truth to? Dude stop telling lies about how my experience went you were not there. Jesus man go troll somewhere else.

For everyone else i just want consistent behavior across all supras. ONCE MORE IF IT WAS NORMAL IT WOULD HAPPEN WITH ALL SUPRAS. I wish that was the case but once more ITS not. Also ive talked to a number of BMW owners with M series or performance BMWs and there car didnt exhibit what mine was doing.
Sponsored