Wouldnt Rev after starting

Countdamony

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus is250

I had to copy this video to put here, it was posted in another topic on the forum here.
skip to roughly halfway in and it looks like he's having the rev issue from this lengthen thread. I'm not sure about "newer" bwms, but my 03 E85 Z4 has NEVER done this. In the 10 years 40k+ miles I've owned it (now at 108k total miles) NEVER. Including when I later put a ess s/c kit. Pushing it on track or babying it. Nor my 2011 128i. Which is my daily and not pushed at all stock tune n52 3.0. Also driven but not owned a few Z3s can't remember engines now though (if you know Z3 history you'll know why I can't remember which engine, never a 1.8 though) For the BMW owners here saying "it's a bmw thing" Please post year model and trim engine ex . Your experience identical, or similar but not quite? Is it a post 2012 or so on issue? I've driven 8 Z4's all E85s, no E86 Coupes but in every US released engine for the E85, m54 3.0,2.5, n52 3.0i, 3.0si and s54 Z4M never once experiencing the rev issues in this thread or of "it's a bmw thing". I don't want to sound like I'm die hard BMW ra ra sis boom ba in this post, just also giving my experience, but saying it's normal, have I been driving Abby Normal cars? (I sure hope someone gets that last part)
Young Frankenstein

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Holy shit everyone needs to calm their fat titties. @Dannyvandelft clearly @KillxPoint has a point if Toyota themselves admit that there is an issue with his specific car. On the other hand you have a point about the car's cold start feature. Also, there is no reason for you to tell someone else to leave when they're being kind enough to let this issue be known.

All in all I'm just happy that with the almost 10,000 cars that they've built so far that we're seeing only a handful of issues. Mind you, this happens with every car. The RAV4, Camry, and the Tacoma had issues with the release of their latest generation when they first came out.

I'm confident that Toyota (and BMW) will get their shit together. And this further proves that there's nothing wrong with the driveline and it's only electrical related issues. @KillxPoint did the right thing by making this issue public and letting Toyota (and BMW) aware of this issue so that they can iron out the kinks in the future. I think this community will flourish in the future as more people get experienced with this platform.

I choose to be optimistic because Toyota has generally never come out with something unreliable even if they codeveloped (or rebadged the car, not talking about the GR Supra though) the car with another manufacturer. I'm not saying that issues haven't occurred with Toyotas, but they're basically nonexistent. This car is no different either. These issues are generally a victim of being a part of the early releases in the production cycle. Look at BMW's reliability survey, they're right up there on the list in terms of reliability nowadays.

So with all that being said, let's calm down everyone.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Eh, he got his car bought back because of electrical issues and paint issues. (his own words)
It's in the goddamn manual that the car has an engine protection system.
Just paranoia. Nothing more. If people used just a little common sense they'd know it's nothing. But princess killxpoint probably drove his poor dealership to drugs and alcohol so for their sanity they probably bought that car back ?

As far as the rev limiter goes, nothing to see there. Perfectly normal, as mentioned by the manual.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If electrical issues were so severe that Toyota even agreed to buy it back, electrical or ECU issues could have spread to or affected the drive-by-wire system or position sensor, etc... or how the protection system behaves..

We got CEL issues on GT86 due to fracturing Engine Valve Spring. It was also mentioned something along the lines of altered software tolerance not reading inputs properly. Don't recall the exact phrase.. More details of GT86 recalls, bulletins:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

Anyhow, It's a moot point now, he no longer has the vehicle....

If it's an actual issue hopefully it'll be resolved soon by Toyota/BMW, but sure in the meantime people need to understand modern vehicles have built-in protection systems and manuals need to be read. But, having said that, everyone gets lazy or forgets about things they've read in the manual, so often it's easy to ask the forum to get a quicker or more elaborate answer...

A bit off topic, I haven't actually counted anything, but I feel like MY21, A91, etc. owners seem to be having more issues than MY20 owners... or MY20 owners are not speaking up :D

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I have a hunch that some of these problems might be related to "adaptive" programming capability in the latest Motronic ECUs. In the last few years, these systems have gotten more sophisticated in their ability to "learn" driving patterns and adapt. The reports here sound like a glitch in that system, somehow, especially that it seems to reoccur more frequently as time goes on. Perhaps when folks rev the engine without load, that's setting some crazy parameter that causes this to repeat. Again, just a hunch.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Eh, he got his car bought back because of electrical issues and paint issues. (his own words)
It's in the goddamn manual that the car has an engine protection system.
Just paranoia. Nothing more. If people used just a little common sense they'd know it's nothing. But princess killxpoint probably drove his poor dealership to drugs and alcohol so for their sanity they probably bought that car back ?

As far as the rev limiter goes, nothing to see there. Perfectly normal, as mentioned by the manual.
You keep saying they bought it back because other electrical issues and other problems but what you fail to understand is that it was only bought back because of the rev problem! Sitting at idle for 2 hours with no power hmmmmmmm. Must be normal according to @Dannyvandelft

If toyota bought back every car just because people kept bringing them in they would be out of business, But i get it. You dont seem to be very bright. That's my personal opinion. Your nothing but a troll and keyboard warrior.

As for paint issues they never opened up that claim because they excepted the rev problem. Here i will break it down for you @Dannyvandelft.

First issue windshield wiper twitch *fixed* with software updates and restarting a bunch of computer components.

Second issue, car wouldnt have any power upon startup and for a few secs after driving off. *they replaced the ECM or ECU how ever you want to call it but that didn't fix the issue.*

Third issue was my paint and the radio display that day was twitching. The main toyota supra tech was able to reproduce all my problems.

Toyota agreed there was a problem so the claim they bought the car back was for the Second issue.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
You keep saying they bought it back because other electrical issues and other problems but what you fail to understand is that it was only bought back because of the rev problem! Sitting at idle for 2 hours with no power hmmmmmmm. Must be normal according to @Dannyvandelft

If toyota bought back every car just because people kept bringing them in they would be out of business, But i get it. You dont seem to be very bright. That's my personal opinion. Your nothing but a troll and keyboard warrior.

As for paint issues they never opened up that claim because they excepted the rev problem. Here i will break it down for you @Dannyvandelft.

First issue windshield wiper twitch *fixed* with software updates and restarting a bunch of computer components.

Second issue, car wouldnt have any power upon startup and for a few secs after driving off. *they replaced the ECM or ECU how ever you want to call it but that didn't fix the issue.*

Third issue was my paint and the radio display that day was twitching. The main toyota supra tech was able to reproduce all my problems.

Toyota agreed there was a problem so the claim they bought the car back was for the Second issue.
Yeah I'M the keyboard warrior.... ok lmao.

I just feel bad for the new owner that comes to look for answers after they notice the rev protection, and sees this paranoia thread and thinks their car has a problem, when it in reality is working perfectly fine as described by the manual. You know, that paper thing in the car that explains HOW IT WORKS.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I was offered the extended warranty for free but because of the blemishes on the paint i decided not to go that route. If the paint was fine then i would have probably kept the car. Even though they never got back to me on the paint because that claim was dropped because toyota corporate bought the car back.

What the auto detailer said(also the man that repaints the cars for issues like mine and auto collision) he never seen anything like that on other toyotas in his time at that auto collision repair shop attached to the dealership. I really wanted more insight on the paint because im hoping its not a on going issue ln other supras or just red supras. All i can say is that i have personally seen 3 supras with the same blemishes like clear coat separation or something.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'M the keyboard warrior.... ok lmao.

I just feel bad for the new owner that comes to look for answers after they notice the rev protection, and sees this paranoia thread and thinks their car has a problem, when it in reality is working perfectly fine as described by the manual. You know, that paper thing in the car that explains HOW IT WORKS.
Gotcha so you think its normal to sit in idle for a few hours and still have no power. Man im glad your not a technician. Lol

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
I have a hunch that some of these problems might be related to "adaptive" programming capability in the latest Motronic ECUs. In the last few years, these systems have gotten more sophisticated in their ability to "learn" driving patterns and adapt. The reports here sound like a glitch in that system, somehow, especially that it seems to reoccur more frequently as time goes on. Perhaps when folks rev the engine without load, that's setting some crazy parameter that causes this to repeat. Again, just a hunch.
I've said it so much that the more tech we get in our cars the more issues arise. For the E85 z4 all the ecu learned adaptions turn off when sport button is pressed giving the user in an auto as much control as allowed without blowing anything up, crisping throttle response rather than the daily pattern and heavier sport steering. I feel for anyone with a non sport e85 they don't know what they're missing in comparison.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Actually it’s Igor? your turn Piper1 I have my own Mel Brooks reference. See user name. We probably have a lot of people confused right now lol
I'm sure there are quite a few scratching their heads :D but it's probably because they've been jammed, ;)I hope it's possibly helped lighten in here least for a moment, think we all could use it this week. And I did pick up on your name, the Mrs. was just going through some of Mels favorite quotes the other night.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Gotcha so you think its normal to sit in idle for a few hours and still have no power. Man im glad your not a technician. Lol
@KillxPoint

mr. Danny boy here knows everything and has answer to everything.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 6.53.47 PM.png

He said so himself. and if someone prove him wrong or he feels that someone could, he removes his post.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.28.24 PM.png

in between above posts, he posted that "Russell will not be the replacement for Hamilton." I don't exactly recall since he removed his post after Russell became replacement of Lewis Hamilton. It says a lot about one's integrity. So I already decided not to respond to him. But I hate to see this informative thread going down hill with such an assumption and meaningless post so I am chiming in.
Sponsored