LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Well I am headed to Carolina Dragway tonight and hopefully get on that Top 10 list for 1/4 mile times. I'm now making 640whp and 680tq so getting 10.7 should be attainable. I will take some video/pics tonight and post soon, you can check instagram for updates though. Hopefully no limp mode but she does act differently on the track compared to the dyno. The weather is supposed to comply so I don't have to worry about that.

My setup is:

BorgWarner EFR9280 30psi on 100 octane
Twin 44mm External Wastegates
Snow Stage 3 Dual Port Meth Setup
4" Custom Downpipe
305 M/T Drag Radials
Fluiyne Heat Exchanger

MHD Software
Pureboost Tune
Dyno'd at CES Motorsports in Charlotte NC
Sponsored

bryanole27

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Definitely following. I'm in Charlotte as well, so I hope I get to see it in person. Good luck and great build!

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Best of luck! The weather should be awesome!

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
Ryan,

wishing you the best of outcomes. Be safe.

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^I'd like to know as well
Sorry for the delayed post but I have been out sick. Left NC around 3pm so we could be at the dragstrip when it went hot at 7pm. Traffic out of Charlotte was horrendous and the same in Columbia SC. We didn't get to the track until about 7:30pm but immediately took the car out to go make a baseline pass on low boost. Here are all the results:

1st Pass low boost- Clean Pass no drama and went low 12's

Lined right back up for another run. IAT's looked good and all temps were solid.

2nd Pass mid boost- I did my burnout in drive and during my burnout boost kicked in during 2nd gear and threw it into limp mode:mad: Run was done after this.

3rd Pass mid boost- Did my burnout in 1st and kept it a little more tame. She ran 11.30 no issues so I lined back up to put it on high boost. It is now about 9:30pm at this point due to delays from all the spilled fluids from other race cars.

I pulled back up with the high boost setting and waited in the line for about an hour....no movement. At like 10:30 they decided to announce they were closing it and no more passes would be made. This was pretty rough because I started running a fever the night before and worked all day, loaded the car up, drove 4 hours to not be able to make a pass on high boost. I can't tell you how frustrating that was. Now I'm looking for the next available 1/4 mile night within a 2-3 hour distance from Charlotte.

It was a rough day for sure but that's how it goes.

Zupraman

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the delayed post but I have been out sick. Left NC around 3pm so we could be at the dragstrip when it went hot at 7pm. Traffic out of Charlotte was horrendous and the same in Columbia SC. We didn't get to the track until about 7:30pm but immediately took the car out to go make a baseline pass on low boost. Here are all the results:

1st Pass low boost- Clean Pass no drama and went low 12's

Lined right back up for another run. IAT's looked good and all temps were solid.

2nd Pass mid boost- I did my burnout in drive and during my burnout boost kicked in during 2nd gear and threw it into limp mode:mad: Run was done after this.

3rd Pass mid boost- Did my burnout in 1st and kept it a little more tame. She ran 11.30 no issues so I lined back up to put it on high boost. It is now about 9:30pm at this point due to delays from all the spilled fluids from other race cars.

I pulled back up with the high boost setting and waited in the line for about an hour....no movement. At like 10:30 they decided to announce they were closing it and no more passes would be made. This was pretty rough because I started running a fever the night before and worked all day, loaded the car up, drove 4 hours to not be able to make a pass on high boost. I can't tell you how frustrating that was. Now I'm looking for the next available 1/4 mile night within a 2-3 hour distance from Charlotte.

It was a rough day for sure but that's how it goes.
Were you on pump gas or 100 octane still?

Just so i understand the parameters of the car and when it's activated, boost in 2nd gear while doing a burnout causes limp mode?

1st pass on low boost - What PSI were you at (if you don't mind me asking)? and when does full boost usually kick in (forgive me i you've already posted this, i'll take a look to reconfirm)?

3rd pass - 11.3 is much better. How was your 60'?

Regarding the rest of your post: Get some rest, get better (first priority). I can't express my appreciation enough about you paving the way for the community. I'm sure the rest of the members feel the same way. Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to round two.

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Were you on pump gas or 100 octane still?

Just so i understand the parameters of the car and when it's activated, boost in 2nd gear while doing a burnout causes limp mode?

1st pass on low boost - What PSI were you at (if you don't mind me asking)? and when does full boost usually kick in (forgive me i you've already posted this, i'll take a look to reconfirm)?

3rd pass - 11.3 is much better. How was your 60'?

Regarding the rest of your post: Get some rest, get better (first priority). I can't express my appreciation enough about you paving the way for the community. I'm sure the rest of the members feel the same way. Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to round two.
  • I was still on 100 octane but have a 93 octane tune ready.
  • It's more like if the trans sees too high of a load it will just throw the code. I'm imagining that when it changed into 2nd gear the load was higher and the tires were hot so it was just enough to make it throw the code.
  • Low boost is like 18psi and full boost is there about 3500rpm.
  • I was being a little careful not to spin so my 60ft was only 1.9 but speed was 131mph.
Thanks brother and yes I'm excited to get back out there and make a clean pass with the high boost setting. It's an absolute monster on the street and will spin those 305 M/T's at 65mph. Haha.

I should prob get a Dragy and do some testing whenever it is convenient. I do have Mooresville dragstrip but it's only 1/8th mile, it's a good place to work on 60ft and setting the car up though. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

Zupraman

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
  • I was still on 100 octane but have a 93 octane tune ready.
  • Low boost is like 18psi and full boost is there about 3500rpm.
  • I was being a little careful not to spin so my 60ft was only 1.9 but speed was 131mph.
Thanks brother and yes I'm excited to get back out there and make a clean pass with the high boost setting. It's an absolute monster on the street and will spin those 305 M/T's at 65mph. Haha.

I should prob get a Dragy and do some testing whenever it is convenient. I do have Mooresville dragstrip but it's only 1/8th mile, it's a good place to work on 60ft and setting the car up though. I'll keep everyone posted.
Nice! I'm really interested in your setup for boost control. Are you running a separate electronic boost controller, or did you find a way to wire up and make compatible a boost control solenoid with the stock computer? This has been a question plaguing me for a while now with people who run external wastegates. I'm also curious to know how the power band feels, i'm sure it's shifted quite a bit from the stock turbo low/mid rage power to mid/high range power. Like the MKIV supras used to be, dyno queens with almost no low to mid range power, but would turn a 11 sec 1/4 mile at 140mph. Your 131mph trap seems to be indicative of that.

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice! I'm really interested in your setup for boost control. Are you running a separate electronic boost controller, or did you find a way to wire up and make compatible a boost control solenoid with the stock computer? This has been a question plaguing me for a while now with people who run external wastegates. I'm also curious to know how the power band feels, i'm sure it's shifted quite a bit from the stock turbo low/mid rage power to mid/high range power. Like the MKIV supras used to be, dyno queens with almost no low to mid range power, but would turn a 11 sec 1/4 mile at 140mph. Your 131mph trap seems to be indicative of that.
Right now I am using a Turbosmart Eboost2 and it does a really great job at controlling boost on the external gates. Burger Tuning has sent me a controller that should be able to turn the JB4 into an external gate controller. MHD will be handling the tune and the JB4 will be controlling boost and possibly some port injection:)

On my setup it comes on strong before 4000rpm and I've had big turbo MK4's and this spools much faster. It's similar to the stock power curve but shifted up about 1000 rpm. It def doesn't feel like a stock turbo car anymore but it also doesn't feel like I couldn't turn it down and go hit the twisties. I've been impressed with the EFR setup so far but haven't had a ton of time to really test it out. So far it is still a great daily and has the potential to run some fast times at the 1/4 mile. I'll be sure to take it up to tail of the dragon sometime soon and see how she does up there.

ch1215g

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra / 2016 BMW M5
Think you can post a dyno sheet? Anything, something. Trying to get an idea of what turbo I want to choose.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Think you can post a dyno sheet? Anything, something. Trying to get an idea of what turbo I want to choose.
whats your power goal and what are you planning on using the car for

anajri

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra A90, Toyota Sequoia '10, Toyota starlet AWD 5sgte (800whp)
updates?
Sponsored