2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
You're probably right, they're playing dumb for probably another half a year to see where this all goes.
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately Tada wonā€™t or realize ... itā€™s sad. Iā€™m hope Iā€™m wrong and they make a damn manual. They are not in any way or form making a GT3 competitor to think the supra is too powerful to have a manual. Stupid IMO to even think that. This is what alarms me about this car.. what other stupid assumptions did they make?

I currently have a 800 Hp manual Viper, 700hp manual Z06, 435hp manual Mustang. Almost 1200hp Manual MKIV Supra. And to hear someone say.. this supra will be too powerful for a manual makes me discredit them completely of all their virtues

Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Unfortunately Tada wonā€™t or realize ... itā€™s sad. Iā€™m hope Iā€™m wrong and they make a damn manual. They are not in any way or form making a GT3 competitor to think the supra is too powerful to have a manual. Stupid IMO to even think that. This is what alarms me about this car.. what other stupid assumptions did they make?

I currently have a 800 Hp manual Viper, 700hp manual Z06, 435hp manual Mustang. Almost 1200hp Manual MKIV Supra. And to hear someone say.. this supra will be too powerful for a manual makes me discredit them completely of all their virtues

Stock?

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In response to a previous comment, nobody expected a new Ford GT.
Everybody saw the FT-1, and knows about the Supra MkV.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m was referring to the comment from tada where he said.. the new Supra will be too powerful for a manual etc. All I want is a decently quick car with a manual. 400hp is all I care for...

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx

agree with everything you said.

I'm in the percentage that is hanging on the thread of a breakthrough at this point.

I seriously feel like they are toying and being sarcastic with us with all these bogus information floating around.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
agree with everything you said.

I'm in the percentage that is hanging on the thread of a breakthrough at this point.

I seriously feel like they are toying and being sarcastic with us with all these bogus information floating around.
Iā€™m hoping you are right.. they are just toying with us.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The article has good points. But in all honesty I don't think Tada is the issue. I really think if it was up to him, 2 transmission options would be offered like the 86. He may just be saying sarcastic comments when interviewed to get the manual followers to speak up to see if this helps push for a manual or is forced to say this.

It's the people involved with the budget for this project and the bean counters who are the ones saying no IMO. He's just a manager running a business with the people and tools approved by his company (no offense intended towards Tada just an example).

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tada-san is just hiding this fact away till the final reveal, hoping to surprise us fans.

Herewith, proof that we'll have a manual anyway.
The main market for the Supra is as a GT car, then as a tuner car. Tada-san said it himself: he looked to the masses and saw those two groups of buyers. So they'd put a dual-clutch for the GT buyers, and the manual for the many enthusiasts. Anything else would ruin the market for this car. Like, for example, if they offered no auto.
Or if they offered no manual.
And Toyota's a big company with a big money vault and a big reputation. Their reputation and their profit would be screwed if they didn't appeal to the big enthusiast market this car is supposed to appeal to.
Like if they didn't offer a manual.
Finally, this car is created under the Gazoo Racing name. Many of you may have heard the story of Hiromu Naruse and the LFA. It was supposed to be a pure driver's car, able to crush European sports cars into little blotches of aluminum and carbon fibre on their own tracks. The LFA was developed in conjunction with Gazoo Racing and raced under that name, which means that the Supra, also supposedly developed and sold under that name, should embody that same pure driving spirit.
Which means adding a manual.
Q.E.D.

By the way, I know the bashers will say the LFA didn't have a manual. But neither did many of its competitors. The Ferrari 599. The Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. The Aston Martin DB9. The BMW M5. So there.

Last edited:

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Gotta disagree with your comment about profits and reputation screwed if they dont offer a manual...this is not a coralla or one of their best sellers if they screwed those up then yes it would have those type impacts...remember they have not built a Supra for what, 15+ years and I think their rep and profits have been ok...

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. If it's a success great. If it's a miss they'll just discontinue it like they did before after a few years. I don't think the bean counters and some higher ups have a care for this car since it probably won't bring in much profit. This is more for the actual enthusiasts within the company including Akio, Tada, and the GR squad. I'm still sure their goal is to make this a success but that will be up to the market to decide.

The Camry, Corolla and the rest of their line up are the bread makers.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ I agree. If it's a success great. If it's a miss they'll just discontinue it like they did before after a few years. I don't think the bean counters and some higher ups have a care for this car since it probably won't bring in much profit. This is more for the actual enthusiasts within the company including Akio, Tada, and the GR squad. I'm still sure their goal is to make this a success but that will be up to the market to decide.

The Camry, Corolla and the rest of their line up are the bread makers.
Issue is.. they are setting up the car for failure and then blame the market for its failure. Not understanding what the market wants vs. see we made it and it didnā€™t sell. If the FRS/BRZ packed 240-250hp.. it wouldā€™ve sold so much more. But the lack of power is pretty much the complaint every person that reviewed it stated. Test driving one left me wanting the same when this car first came out and I never looked at it after even though itā€™s a decent looking car.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turbo flat-4, basically a diminutive version of the WRX engine...
I think the only ones complaining are those like 40+ years old who want a small sports car and then notice it doesn't have the power of "their type" of sports car.
Anyone who realises the full potential of this engine and chassis and has a bit of pocket money for bolt-ons will instantly be impressed.
After all, this was designed as a small, underpowered little thing that was meant to be tuned and customized.
I even saw a BMW V-10 swap in one of these.
Sponsored