2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
And that's worked smashingly for them lolll
Handbuilt low production car.. factory could only produce 8 a day. they sold every one they made and it’s probably the last pure sports car out there. If you’ve never driven one then you are missing out. Amazing vehicle.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
The Focus RS's sales didn't flop.
It dipped this year by almost 7 percent. It's also being discontinued this month. Even if it wasn't discontinued it would probably have abyssmal sales after the whole major recall fiasco they had on the engine.

Last edited:

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
Handbuilt low production car.. factory could only produce 8 a day. they sold every one they made and it’s probably the last pure sports car out there. If you’ve never driven one then you are missing out. Amazing vehicle.
I'd just like to point out that the British still build a bunch of great sports cars that are manual only. Most Lotuses, Morgan, Ultima, ...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
He's been wrong about how the car looks as well. He said there was not vents by the doors or sides of the front bumper. Point in case, I'll wait for the official press release from Toyota.
that's correct; I am not perfect. I've also seen several different official renders and designs, all of which were different, so it gets hard to know up from down sometimes. you can't win them all and I never planned to.

there's still plenty I don't know and possibly even more now that I'm working over under Lexus.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
that's correct; I am not perfect. I've also seen several different official renders and designs, all of which were different, so it gets hard to know up from down sometimes. you can't win them all and I never planned to.

there's still plenty I don't know and possibly even more now that I'm working over under Lexus.
I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. Me and many others here have are grateful for everything you have given us.

I was just trying to give a certain person an example of something that has changed or some kind of miscommunication.

A-I

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkIV TT 6-speed (sold), EVO6 RSII (sold), Audi S4 (current)
Haven't read all the posts in this thread but wanted to give my reasons for why Toyota should produce a manual gearbox offering.

Over the past number of years there has been a big trend for car manufacturers to showcase their technical ability by chasing 0-60 times and generally dumb-ing down vehicles to make the performance of them more accessible to more potential customers.
Technical ability started off by seemingly all having to produce some sort of hybrid engine, this coupled with an auto or DCT box would allow fine control over emissions and the ability of that box to deliver power in accordance with the traction/stability control software and e-diffs.

The hybrid fashion seems to be on a slow down now, but the remaining issue of non-manual gearboxes on performance cars came to light when Porsche realized many of their customers were not interested in that final 10th of a second to 60mph, instead wanting that genuine connection between driver and machine via the use of the 3rd pedal.

The increased use of turbo'd engines now allows emissions to be well within acceptable levels, so its quite strange that manufacturers still want to ditch manuals, because they are definitely not listening to their core market.
Instead they seem to only be listening to their accountants, the greenies and their ability to have their car on a meaningless comparison list of other cars for their 0-60 time.

As many would accept the Supra is not primarily about 0-60 times. If you want that route for general street use then 4WD is where you want to be, and there is the GTR for that type of customer.
If you want an involving sports GT that puts a smile on your face then this was one of the big reasons why Supra owners flocked to the car and kept hold of them for many years.

There will always be those who prefer an auto box - and that is fine, but there are many that prefer a manual box.
A manual box only delivers the 'full' Supra experience in my opinion and for me it was only the manual 6-speed TT that I would call the 'true' Supra.
All other versions were 'less' of a car.

For the MkV to not offer a manual gearbox and be 'less' of a car than what it could be is a real shame.

Following the hype over the past few years I was preparing to place myself on a waiting list with Toyota for a new MkV. But with no manual I have no interest.
It looks like I'll now be waiting for a 2nd hand TVR Griffith (new version) that comes with a good old 6-speed manual.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
The last-gen Viper was a big sales flop. They had to idle the factory for months at a time because demand was so low in the first years of production. The early cars sat in showrooms with big markups for many months, but once the launch haze faded, Chrysler quickly had to discount and actually lower the MSRP on the cars in order to move units. I still don't think I've actually ever seen one in the flesh and they've been out since late 2012.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Viper fan, and personally I'd love to own one. However at the time it came out it was very much overpriced and missing a lot of things that other cars had at the six figure mark. Also it really was a victim of the competition just being too good, and the Viper no longer offered the value proposition that it did in previous generations.

For what it's worth, I also would be willing to bet that they have not actually sold every car made, and that there are probably a good handful still on showroom floors across the country still waiting for their owner.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The last-gen Viper was a big sales flop. They had to idle the factory for months at a time because demand was so low in the first years of production. The early cars sat in showrooms with big markups for many months, but once the launch haze faded, Chrysler quickly had to discount and actually lower the MSRP on the cars in order to move units. I still don't think I've actually ever seen one in the flesh and they've been out since late 2012.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Viper fan, and personally I'd love to own one. However at the time it came out it was very much overpriced and missing a lot of things that other cars had at the six figure mark. Also it really was a victim of the competition just being too good, and the Viper no longer offered the value proposition that it did in previous generations.

For what it's worth, I also would be willing to bet that they have not actually sold every car made, and that there are probably a good handful still on showroom floors across the country still waiting for their owner.
Lol, very wrong and the car actually is 10 seconds faster around the Nürburgring than the latest ZR1. And I love my C7Z06 as well.. so I’m no Viper fanboy. I love everything that’s fast. Currently the the Vipers that left unsold are going for well above MSRP.. and only a handful dealers are holding them to unload them when the values go up..

I agree with you in the initial msrp being higher than what the market was ready for but that was fixed in the second year of production and they pretty much sold out of all 2017 orders in first quarter of 2017 due to an large order from Gerry wood Dodge. Of that.. there isn’t one left in stock.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

I've only seen it once in black

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've only seen it once in black
Come to Texas.. I’ll take you to a pleasure room filled with 8.4L motors couple with a manual transmission bolted on to a sexy body that shames 918s around a track for 130k. Unfortunately they’ve appreciated in value and ACRs are going for over 20-30k above msrp .. even if they are pre-owned.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Are you talking about an '06 stick F-450 with race tires and coilovers?
*rolling on the floor dying*
But that's not the point. Back to the topic of the Supra, I don't think the Supra will touch these cars, but it sounds like an amazing machine in its own right.
Sponsored