2021 Lexus IS Sedan + IS500 F SPORT

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Very happy to see this car. Lexus is alive and well after all! I think pricing will be an important point seeing that they purposely didn’t make this a full blown F car.

I like this old school approach with the V8 engine. Like in the late late 60’s, just put a 454 into a Chevy that can fit it, a 428 into a Ford, 440 into a Mopar:drive: I wonder if a business case can be made to stuff this motor into other current RWD/4WD platforms like the LS/GX/LX... especially with the looming changing times that we’re in.

As someone who had a Lexus, I still wouldn’t get this car over an a90. I know things are different, but back in the early 2000’s, I could’ve bought an a80 but choose a Lexus GS400 instead. I know it sounds ridiculous in many ways looking at it today, but the GS400 was a serious machine back in the day... spiritually, it was the predecessor to the F (and now, F-Sport Performance) cars. I still see that parallel and it still makes me think about my decision back then.

The future looks interesting for Lexus. I really wish they would put more investment into Infotainment systems as well. Not asking to reinvent the wheel, just get rid of that mouse thing, put in wireless CarPlay/Android Auto, and that’s good enough to call it a day for me.
Something wicked this way comes :cool:

For $60k, I would take an A90/91 any day over any Lexus sports car made within the last decade. Don’t get me wrong, I love Lexus as a brand for luxury and reliability....but when it comes to sports cars / sports sedans (no matter what segment), they always under-deliver. The Euro cars have cornered the market for that. If they just made that V8 more tuner friendly, alot more buyers would be interested. It’s very difficult and very expensive to mod that V8.
Over an LFA? Madness.

Unless you meant any Lexus sports car in the last decade at a $60k price point.... of which there is none really.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I am pretty sure that nearly all of us would make an exception if an LFA were affordable enough and/or far less rare... but it isn’t so I understand PerformanceSound’s argument.

I also get CSUfiend’s reasoning for buying a GS400 in the early 2000’s. At the time they were considered fast and while Supra MKIV Turbos weren’t cheap even back then they had not yet blown up to the prices they sell at today for the age and often high mileage let alone low mileage. Two very different cars from that time.

Though the only Lexus GS I lusted after at the time was the Japanese Aristo version with a factory 2JZ-GTE engine. I always felt that Lexus held back on us in the U.S. by not offering JZ turbo engines in the GS and SC. Only later did they get into offering higher performance naturally aspirated (and difficult to tune as mentioned in an earlier post) V8 and V6 engines but still there are next to no pure high performance turbocharged Lexus sport coupe and sedan models.

But the IS500 F-Sport is very cool. It reminds me of the very early 90’s Mercedes E500/500E sport sedans based off their perfectly sized 190 chassis.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Over an LFA? Madness.

Unless you meant any Lexus sports car in the last decade at a $60k price point.... of which there is none really.
Of course not over the LFA....however, the LFA got the “curse” just like every Lexus sports car that followed. The curse of being irrelevant in a market. I’ve said this so many times, yet people make fun and try to justify Lexus’s continuing failure in the sports car segment. It’s not because they are crap cars, it’s because by the time they are out on the market, they are already yesterday’s news. I remember someone posted a comment something like “...I’m glad Lexus is bringing back the soul of a sports sedan” when the GS-F came out. Ummm....ok that’s great and all, but would you buy one? No? Why not?

It’s like when you get a gift from someone for Christmas, and your excited as your opening it, only to find a set of winter gloves. Plaster on a fake smile, get teary-eyed, say thank you, and try and forget about it. That’s exactly what happens every time Lexus announces a new sports-anything.

Again, not hating Lexus, they are fantastic cars....for everything other than sports cars / sports sedans. Hopefully that changes in the future.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Agreed. Timing hasn't always been their strong suit and always arrive late after they hype is gone. Another example: where's the LC-F we were suppose to see 2 years ago now?!?

Having owned a few Lexus IS of my own in the past, I'm glad they're coming out with the IS500 but not super stoked. They should've given it the IS-F badge with a bit more aggressive styling, setting it apart from the regular F sport models. Maybe that's their plan and we'll see it in 2+ years :dunno:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Forget the F & F sport talk for a moment. Does anyone else think Lexus as whole seems to be a gen behind the Germans. Like for ten years now their products have no longer been competitive and gaps throughout the line up. No full-size CUV, lack of electrified options, and no proper flagship coupe for the longest time. Like the LC should have been introduced in 2011 right after the SC430 was discounted. Not almost a decade later.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
anyone else think its funny that Lexus took the V8 out of the LS flagship and puts into the entry level IS...? like backwards thinking.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
One of LE's moderators Mike seems to be hinting at something else in the pipe lines for the IS.

mikeavelli said:
Obviously I’m sworn to secrecy but there’s some really dope things coming with this car. Keeping it relevant to this thread.

Get the checkbooks ready lol

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
One of LE's moderators Mike seems to be hinting at something else in the pipe lines for the IS.
I wish nothing but the best for Lexus, but it seems like history is repeating itself. We are headed into another recession soon. Gas prices will skyrocket, interest rates will go up, unemployment will hit highs again, and housing market will probably follow close behind. On top of it all Lexus wants to make another top-tier pricey sports sedan/sports car in that kind of economic climate??? I’m a bit skeptical to say the least.

~$65k, 6cyl turbo, fast shifting auto, mechanical lsd, and typical Lexus interior....will sell very well.

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
For $60k, I would take an A90/91 any day over any Lexus sports car made within the last decade. Don’t get me wrong, I love Lexus as a brand for luxury and reliability....but when it comes to sports cars / sports sedans (no matter what segment), they always under-deliver. The Euro cars have cornered the market for that. If they just made that V8 more tuner friendly, alot more buyers would be interested. It’s very difficult and very expensive to mod that V8.
most of the people that buy a lexus sports car doesn't mod it. Totally different crowd than the A90/A91. I would say the Lexus sports car will be way more dependable....

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS400
I’m glad this car is around and hope the starting price point of $56k sticks... makes for a nice option for those of us who haven’t bought an a90 and want a fallback option in case our significant other is against getting a 2 seater:fear:
Sponsored