2022 Model Year Toyota GR Supra

Multiple Choice: What changes are you expecting or would like to see for 2022?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I wouldn't expect anything other than a "special" edition with different colors. Similar to the A91. That's what Toyota did for 7 years with the FRS, apart for the mid-cycle upgrade that brought it on par with the BRZ in terms of features.

Even if you look at their other offerings: Tundra, 4runner, etc. These models don't change much year over year. I know Toyota said they would be doing more changes each model year to keep it fresh, but I don't believe it. The engine upgrade was more of a BMW/EPA thing. Just my two cents though.
Sponsored

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
For those hoping for a targa top (I'm one of them): where would you envision the top being stowed? I ask because the hatch opening seems pretty constrained. Wouldn't that put a damper on being able to put it in the trunk?

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
For those hoping for a targa top (I'm one of them): where would you envision the top being stowed? I ask because the hatch opening seems pretty constrained. Wouldn't that put a damper on being able to put it in the trunk?
SEMA GR Supra Sport Top YouTube.jpg

For the SEMA build, the targa top was split into two sections, which should allow it to fit in the back. I suppose the same could be done for production.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Honestly I just intend to wait until the final model year, and if I decide whatever improvements happened make it significantly better than the '21 model, I'll trade it in.
I would probably just consider buying a second one and having 2, one for track and the other for weekend fun. I’m not sure when Toyota will offer another Supra but in 25 years it will be an EV version for sure.

-RJM

Byrone

First Name
Byrone
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR

For the SEMA build, the targa top was split into two sections, which should allow it to fit in the back. I suppose the same could be done for production.

this is pretty exciting. I miss my 300zx T-tops dearly.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)

I met the guy in charge of this project he sold his 4Runner to me. Probably not a production car as this was a 1 time thing.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
One thing I have wondered, is why they call the 2.0 a "GR" Supra, and why it has the GR badge. I was under the impression that GR is the sportier trim, with GRMN being the top high level trim.

Similar to BMW's standard models, M performance, and then standalone M models (which they also do for the Z4). The Yaris follows that naming convention with the Yaris, GR Yaris, and rumored GRMN Yaris. Kinda muddies up Toyota's branding structure to not do that for the Supra, and takes away the cachet of the 3.0 (which is probably what that primary complaint among 3.0 owners is). Even the MKIV had distinct trim levels.

B48 - Supra
B58 - GR Supra
S58 - GRMN Supra

?‍♂
I mean A70 did say people in the company hate the whole GR badging thing in general. Lol

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I'm writing this post in hopes that someone from Toyota sees lol. Can we have Yamaha put their hands on the B58 or Supra overall? Anything they touch is GOLD! :headbang:
Man, Yamaha almost made a mid engined, affordable sports car (Literally like a modern MR2) then just canned it last second. Just listen to the sound. Yamaha is like that athletic kid that can destroy you if they tried but chooses to play piano.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
The fact there hasn't been a major announcement tells me 2 things.
1, 2022 won't have much of an upgrade, just minor stuff like an added color or something.
2, 2023 model will get a lot. Refresh, new features, hopefully the GRMN.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
1, 2022 won't have much of an upgrade, just minor stuff like an added color or something.
And don’t forget another deeper encrypted ECU. ?

-RJM

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
They could be sorting out some stuff with the engine too, making this upcoming model year kind of basic.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Honestly I just intend to wait until the final model year, and if I decide whatever improvements happened make it significantly better than the '21 model, I'll trade it in.
My plan is the same or if funds permit go to a z06 or Zr1 when out

mslam02

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 BMW 330i msport
seems like things are looking at skipping 2022 on to 2023 for a big refresh if anything, like posted above.

If they update with a manual and targa, i would most likely be 100% in. If the update with stick only, i'd put it in the running with a list of "drivers cars" i'm waiting to be released (see list below). If they do neither im 100% out lol.

List of drivers cars i'm awaiting releases/stats/reviews on (ill be ready to purchase something new within the next year and I want to contribute to the "Save the manual" cause):

-BMW G87 M2 (if weight doesn't get out of control - latest M3/4 is 3900 lbs ?)
-Lotus Emira (Likely will out-price my budget in 6cyl manual form but maybe not)
-Nissan Z (has decent potential based on initial prototype reviews)
-Supra if they come out with manual in some form (hell i'd even consider a 4cyl manual - lighter weight and easily modded for more ponies)
-Porsche 718 Boxster Spyder (REALLLY stretching my budget but could survive)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.