2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I doubt the MT pulls harder since the auto 0-60 is 3.7 vs manual at 4.2. I’m interested to see Sam CarLegion on YT put them against each other.
Sponsored

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
I doubt the MT pulls harder since the auto 0-60 is 3.7 vs manual at 4.2. I’m interested to see Sam CarLegion on YT put them against each other.
Dude, it’s not what you think that matters. It’s what Max said after testing the two side by side that matters. 0-60 includes shifts tine and we all know the AT shifts like lighting. In terms of in gear pulls, Max said MT pulls harder

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
How many shifts do you think there are between 0-60? Mathematics don’t allow for a .5 seconds slower 0-60 and it pull harder. Max can say that it doesn’t make it a fact.

300BLK

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0P, 23 Tacoma, 22 Mercedes Benz GLB
This is probably the result of Manuals having less drivetrain loss? Plus the manual in this car has completely different gearing ratios = more felt pull when on the throttle?

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Wonder when Doug is gonna review it 🤔
Doug Demuro already did. I like his reviews of cars for the quirks and features but his reviews are largely inaccurate technically. He’s good at showing the fine details of operations and function, but SavageGeese said it best that a manual over automatic transmission is not a big deal in todays world because the automatic transmissions aren’t the terrible transmissions of decades ago.

Prado150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GX460, Tundra…. A91-MT
SavageGeese said it best that a manual over automatic transmission is not a big deal in todays world because the automatic transmissions aren’t the terrible transmissions of decades ago.
Not sure I could disagree more with this statement.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Not sure I could disagree more with this statement.
i understand where you’re at because I always had manuals when I could. However this does sum up the works of today very well. I’m not anti-manual preferred them most of my life. What he says is quite on point though.

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
i understand where you’re at because I always had manuals when I could. However this does sum up the works of today very well. I’m not anti-manual preferred them most of my life. What he says is quite on point though.

It's interesting that he talks about how development and care isn't really done with modern manual transmissions anymore but with the new MT Supra, we've seen how this isn't really the case and Toyota actually did put a lot of thought and tuning into the manual setup (even being non-Toyota parts to begin with) and you can see how MT owners are enthusiastic and have been giving great reviews of it since the manual version came out.

It says a lot that it's 2022 and there's still a pretty good demand for a transmission that on paper is worse in almost every way performance wise than the 8 speed automatic option, yet for me personally I would take the MT over the auto every single time for this gen Supra and it seems a lot of other people out there would too.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
It's interesting that he talks about how development and care isn't really done with modern manual transmissions anymore but with the new MT Supra, we've seen how this isn't really the case and Toyota actually did put a lot of thought and tuning into the manual setup (even being non-Toyota parts to begin with) and you can see how MT owners are enthusiastic and have been giving great reviews of it since the manual version came out.

It says a lot that it's 2022 and there's still a pretty good demand for a transmission that on paper is worse in almost every way performance wise than the 8 speed automatic option, yet for me personally I would take the MT over the auto every single time for this gen Supra and it seems a lot of other people out there would too.
I drove the auto Supra when putting my deposit down for the manual. While it's quick, it just wasn't for me. The paddles just aren't fun for me. Now that I have my A91-MT, I'm very glad I went with the manual. Absolutely love it.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Yes that’s correct. However even when he drives it’s a minimal spin in most cars and his impressions on cars don’t always meet with enthusiasts of the vehicle. He reviews so many cars it would be very difficult to rate all of them as every car has weaknesses and strengths but he never gets to the fine details of the drive in his reviews they are more of a first impression of highlighting and low lighting of the short drives he takes. Many of his cars he’s reviewing are owned by other people, rather than a dealership-so I understand why he doesn’t go all out on his test drives.

I’m curious what ratio Toyota is selling manual vs auto for 2023. Is it 500 special editions plus 10% of the 3.0s or will they put out 50/50. I can’t imagine they would put all the R&D in it to make 1000 cars. Next year could be the last of the Supra or it could carry on for some time based on their direction against going EV and continued manufacturing of all vehicles.

Last edited: