2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

supralewigi

First Name
lewigi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X1 and M2 Competition
The ZF8 is such a stellar automatic transmission that I'm not itching to trade mine for a MT. I imagine that'll be a factor in the future value of these cars.
Not to mention, the ZF 8 speed is tuner friendly since it's proven to be able to handle huge power. We still don't know how robust this manual transmission is when it comes to power levels that the aftermarket will bring. I can also say I'm definitely not biased towards the Automatic, as I put down a deposit for the manual supra :)
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
4.4 sec is too slow in 2023 for a sports car..

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Motortrend trying really hard to find something bad to say about the Supra and this is all they can come up with....

6sjyba.jpg
THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING. They're trying so hard to find criticisms of this car. MT are a bunch of paid shills who behave like petulant children, everyone else has better reviews.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra

Good things to say about the feel, which I was most worried about.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
The ZF8 is such a stellar automatic transmission that I'm not itching to trade mine for a MT. I imagine that'll be a factor in the future value of these cars.
I would have never imagined agreeing with this before I drove and purchased my '20, but here I am now, thinking similarly - not planning to make the trade. However, a GR Corolla would be a nice pairing and it would cure that manual itch...

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Lots of us do. It's about the experience. The connection between man and machine. If you don't want one, then you either don't understand that or have never really experienced it.
I don't want one.

I do understand it and I have really experienced it. I have plenty of manual transmission things to drive, and I don't need a clutch pedal in a drag car. There are more than two buckets.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Well it'll be more rare and probably worth more down the road
That's pretty much guaranteed. Manual transmission cars (of many different kinds) will sell for a premium just because they are manual transmission and there will be far fewer of them available compared to automatic transmission cars.

There will always be people like me who strongly desire the manual transmission version of any car. The demand will be there, but the supply, not so much. That means higher values for sure.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I don't want one.

I do understand it and I have really experienced it. I have plenty of manual transmission things to drive, and I don't need a clutch pedal in a drag car. There are more than two buckets.
Drag car? Sorry, I was talking about street cars. If I was building a dedicated drag car, I also wouldn't want a manual transmission.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I don't want one.

Iā€™ve also been experiencing it since 1985 (Mustang GT 5 speed). In fact every performance car Iā€™ve owned until the Supra was a manual. Iā€™ve thoroughly enjoyed them all but I also will not go back. I still enjoy a standard but I like the ZF auto even more. I like being faster. Autocross, drag strip, Track days doesnā€™t matter. Faster everywhere with todays slush boxes. I love not having to think about gear changes and the car is always in the correct one. Itā€™s been the most fun auto cross car Iā€™ve ever owned and I thought my 6 speed 2004 ZO6 was going to be hard to beat.
While Iā€™m on a roll. And this is just pure speculation on my part but the cars of the past where manuals are going for higher prices than automatics is probably very much impacted by how shitty automatics used to be. Manuals used to be the faster and more fuel efficient choice but the roles have been reversed for a while now. If I had to wager, Iā€™d bet the price differentials wonā€™t be that way years from now.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
And this is just pure speculation on my part but the cars of the past where manuals are going for higher prices than automatics is probably very much impacted by how shitty automatics used to be. Manuals used to be the faster and more fuel efficient choice but the roles have been reversed for a while now. If I had to wager, Iā€™d bet the price differentials wonā€™t be that way years from now.
Gotta disagree. Many enthusiasts will seek out manual tranmission cars just because they enjoyed them so much over the years. And I'm sure we can both agree that the supply of manual transmission cars will be much less than automatic versions of the same car. That's what drives values up.

It's very similar to the Foxbody Mustang you mentioned. Those cars today, the values have skyrocketed. And you know what? Back in the late 80s and early 90s, they were fantastic and fast street cars. Today, they can't even compare with any performance car. But people are still paying big money for them because it brings them back to what they really enjoyed when they were younger. That's the same exact thing that's going to happen with virtually ALL manual transmission cars, especially sports/sporty cars.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I find it weird that, for the first time... Ever... I'm preferring my AT to a MT.
I've never, ever, EVER been into AT cars other than in my commuter. But this one is really good.
Weird feeling, indeed...
Sponsored