A bit disappointed in Toyota

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I look at my house and it has fake window shutters all over the place.. but it makes the house look good. :dunno:

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
I think there is a big misunderstanding about the philosophy of the 2 cars:
The supra is the "classic" RWD long hood coupe, great grand tourer, but also potent on track. The yaris/corolla are "shit-boxes" tuned to the maximum for the track.
So the yaris/corolla need to show up that they are not a shit-box, while the supra cares a lot about the NVH and the "classic coupe" look, and the fake vents are just here for the styling.

Btw you should not trash the yaris/corolla couple, we have the GR Yaris since some years in Europe, they are freaking fast, especially on narrow/short tracks.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I think there is a big misunderstanding about the philosophy of the 2 cars:
The supra is the "classic" RWD long hood coupe, great grand tourer, but also potent on track. The yaris/corolla are "shit-boxes" tuned to the maximum for the track.
So the yaris/corolla need to show up that they are not a shit-box, while the supra cares a lot about the NVH and the "classic coupe" look, and the fake vents are just here for the styling.

Btw you should not trash the yaris/corolla couple, we have the GR Yaris since some years in Europe, they are freaking fast, especially on narrow/short tracks.
Well said. I love traveling to Europe and seeing all your badass rides 🤤

Where the hell did Toyota come from all of a sudden??? They go from NASCAR Camrys to all of a sudden track Supras and these other killer GR cars. I’m not saying it happened overnight, but it sure feels like it!!!! 😂

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Did anyone watch the videos on the engineers talking about the vents?

Yup and they are flat out lies. The ducts go nowhere and require cutting into the body work. But people blinded by the marque will defend these bullshit arguments rather than accept the truth that their beloved car company has flat out lied in order to save it 20c.

And that is why "Nice BMW" is never an insult!

Fitch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV
Not bothered with the fake vents. They are mostly design aesthetics anyway. I mean the Type-Rs are covered with fake honeycombe plastic too...

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
1. Triple exhaust is fine on CTR as it fits the vibe that car is going for, but it would really not fit the Supra aesthetics. Quad exhaust I could get behind though...

2. Maybe Toyota listened to all the "Fake Vents" hate on the Supra and applied that feedback on the GR Corolla? Either way, it is way to late to change something like this on the Supra for them. They are not going to just swap in real vents when that would cost them $$$ and time to do testing.

Making a production change like that would require them to extensively test that having a real vent on top of the hood doesn't cause any issues w/ rain etc. I think its been proven anecdotally that is isn't an issue (I have the SupraMod vents and have no issues) but that isn't good enough for an official change to a production car by Toyota. Also, they still haven't bothered to fix the wind buffeting, so fat chance they would bother with vents on the Supra.

3. Presumably that video exists because the marketing team forced the engineers to come make up some vaguely plausible bullshit for PR damage control around the whole "fake vents" thing, as it is quite the stretch.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Saw a car, now I can't remember the make. I could tell it was stock but had 4 exhausts. Looked cool but the outer two were clean as a whistle, they were fake from he factory. But I bet those 4 made it go faster. lol

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Along similar exhaust comments, any of you guys see this crazy shit? I kind of like it, just gotta fill those diffuser cutouts.

FB_IMG_1677993909022.jpg

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Along similar exhaust comments, any of you guys see this crazy shit? I kind of like it, just gotta fill those diffuser cutouts.

FB_IMG_1677993909022.jpg
Cutouts will be for two flashlights to use as reverse lights.