A not-crazy-loud catback exhaust that keeps the OEM valve?

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
If I insulted your intelligence I sincerely apologize. Clearly you know your stuff.

I am a mechanical engineer and I've worked on sound attenuation devices for supersonic gas flow.

Check out the Magnaflow. It might give you what you're looking for.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...od-series-cat-back-performance-exhaust-system
I wonder if a Mangaflow with a muffler on the quiet side and straight pipe on the loud side wouldn't do just what I want. Their modular design is certainly interesting. I will email them and ask about compatibility with the MT. Thanks man.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Is this an issue with all aftermarket exhaust on the MT?
Borla has stated to me over email that their exhaust doesn't fit the 2023. I asked for clarity if they just meant the 2023 MT, or all 2023 Supras. Perhaps some changes were made to support the MT that carried over to 2023 AT production? They do specifically state 2020-2022 on their website, but I figured it just hadn't been updated.

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
Borla has stated to me over email that their exhaust doesn't fit the 2023. I asked for clarity if they just meant the 2023 MT, or all 2023 Supras. Perhaps some changes were made to support the MT that carried over to 2023 AT production? They do specifically state 2020-2022 on their website, but I figured it just hadn't been updated.
Damn, I just ordered an aftermarket catback. I wonder if it is something light fabrication can help.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Damn, I just ordered an aftermarket catback. I wonder if it is something light fabrication can help.
Me too, I don't have clarity in that regard. Perhaps it's as simple as moving an exhaust hanger?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
The SHS exhaust on my car was fully developed on a 2020 auto, and Iā€™ve compared both Oem exhausts from my 23 to others itā€™s an identical dp to 21+ and exhaust. If it fits an auto it fits a manual they just havenā€™t tested it yet so canā€™t guarantee it but I have lol

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
The SHS exhaust on my car was fully developed on a 2020 auto, and Iā€™ve compared both Oem exhausts from my 23 to others itā€™s an identical dp to 21+ and exhaust. If it fits an auto it fits a manual they just havenā€™t tested it yet so canā€™t guarantee it but I have lol
It's weird because aFe has specifically called out the manual as being incompatible and Borla says they're actively developing a solution.

Maybe there's some weird clearance issue, where the tunnel is slightly different in proportions?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
It's weird because aFe has specifically called out the manual as being incompatible and Borla says they're actively developing a solution.

Maybe there's some weird clearance issue, where the tunnel is slightly different in proportions?
Not sure why they would say that because the Oem exhaust is identical from all that I can see, and my exhaust fits absolutely perfect on my manual

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ

And part number on MBRP is identical for all years including 23.
Borla probably did not want to say something they did not confirm yet.

Jammon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, BRZ, MGB, Triumph TR3, AH 100-4,
In all my research, it sure seems like a lot of the exhausts out there (for the 3.0) seem to repeat some of the same patterns:
  • They take you from a very quiet OEM setup to a very loud aftermarket one, with not much in-between.
  • They omit the OEM valve, or if they do keep it...
  • ..there's not a ton of difference between valve open and valve closed.
What I'm really after is maintaining the nice and quiet OEM experience with the valve closed, and getting something a good bit rowdier than OEM with the valve open - but not to the extent that everyone in town hates me. I like my neighbors. I want something I can hear pretty well inside the car with the electronic engine sound nonsense disabled via Bimmercode, but no need to go above and beyond that.

I'm coming to the Supra from five years of GT350 ownership with the factory active exhaust, which really has me spoiled. With the valves closed on that car, it's almost as quiet as the Supra is. Valves open, it's a party but it won't blow your eardrums out. Very Jekyll and Hyde - perfect!

I should mention that I have pretty much ruled out a downpipe, I'm not interested in more power and I also don't really want to play games with the warranty. I'll likely get an extended warranty soon as I'm considering keeping this car for quite a while.

Also, whatever I get has to be compatible with the manual trans. If not now, then something hopefully in the works. I've conversed back and forth with aFe a little bit and it seems like an option for MT cars will be in the works once they can get their hands on one in CA.
I have a HKS and it should meet your requirements and your neighbors won't hate you.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Hereā€™s something that may be worth consideringā€¦ a lot of the reviews that say ā€œno droneā€ were done with automatics. The extra gears mean lower revs on the freeway. Hereā€™s a shot of the revs the manual is turning in 6th gear at interstate speeds:

3E567197-EF36-4F1F-B4B6-24DA65AF82FB.jpeg

So part of question might become: what exhausts are actually drone-free at nearly 3000rpm?

Disclaimer for Internet Karens: this car has a typical BMW speedometer that reads way fast. 77mph on the speedo is 74mph confirmed with GPS.šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Hereā€™s something that may be worth consideringā€¦ a lot of the reviews that say ā€œno droneā€ were done with automatics. The extra gears mean lower revs on the freeway. Hereā€™s a shot of the revs the manual is turning in 6th gear at interstate speeds:

3E567197-EF36-4F1F-B4B6-24DA65AF82FB.jpeg

So part of question might become: what exhausts are actually drone-free at nearly 3000rpm?

Disclaimer for Internet Karens: this car has a typical BMW speedometer that reads way fast. 77mph on the speedo is 74mph confirmed with GPS.šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
You can also just do the math with the gear ratios and tire diameters.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
manuals drone a lot more, no way around it. what does not drone an auto, does have a little drone on mine