A not-crazy-loud catback exhaust that keeps the OEM valve?

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I had seen that video in my searches and it sounds great, and different. Much lower pitch from the Magnaflow exhaust than any other Supra exhaust out there. Do you feel like you got drone anywhere in the rev range before you swapped out the OEM downpipe? And how are the carbon tips holding up after a year and a half?
There is some drone in the 1600-2200 ish rpm range. It's really only exaggerated when the engine is under load like when you're going up a hill. From what I've been told every aftermarket exhaust has drone in that rpm range to some extent. The tips are doing fine, they really just look like black tips until you get up close since they're a matte carbon. It's kinda nice not having to worry about cleaning them all the time since you can't really tell if they're dirty or not 😅
Sponsored

Vu_jonny

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Rav4
I’m waiting for the rk titanium valved street exhaust to come out. He should be posting comparison vids soon from his lineup.

Juanito08

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I spoke to them today. It won’t fit. They’re developing an exhaust for the MT that’ll be available in 4-5 months
Did they say why? I have a AT and MT; there is no difference when it comes to exhaust shape/form. The trans doesn't even get in the way.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
oh edit, the Magnaflow with muffler on the non-valved side and straight on the valved side gives a decent range, but not dead silence like the Mustang exhaust. (Again I know what you mean, in quiet mode you hear the faint engine noise under the road noise and wind noise like it’s barely there, great for long distanT road trips)
Somebody finally gets me. I feel like if you haven't driven a Mustang with active exhaust, it's going to be hard to understand. It's basically a mute button for the exhaust. The OEM active exhaust setup on the Supra is a bad joke in comparison to what Ford is doing.

Yeah closed valve is pretty quiet but once you open it, it gets loud. I would say 7-8/10 loudness. It’s nothing obnoxious thou. I would highly recommend it if you’re on the fence. I’m very happy with it. You get more gurgles and pops in sport mode now.I was also concerned that it would be too quiet like the HKS but imo it’s sounds perfect.
Awesome, good to hear. I'm really leaning toward the aFe because unlike the Magnaflow, it has a center resonator that can be replaced with a straight pipe. I have a feeling that the setup I would do on the Magnaflow is muffler on the passenger/quiet side, and straight pipe on the driver/loud side anyway, and that's exactly what the aFe exhaust is plus the option of a center resonator or not. So there's actually some variability there that I wouldn't have with the Magnaflow setup.

There is some drone in the 1600-2200 ish rpm range. It's really only exaggerated when the engine is under load like when you're going up a hill. From what I've been told every aftermarket exhaust has drone in that rpm range to some extent. The tips are doing fine, they really just look like black tips until you get up close since they're a matte carbon. It's kinda nice not having to worry about cleaning them all the time since you can't really tell if they're dirty or not 😅
That's actually good to hear, as the manual cars are turning higher revs in the 70+ MPH range due to gearing which may prove to be a blessing with drone.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Did they say why? I have a AT and MT; there is no difference when it comes to exhaust shape/form. The trans doesn't even get in the way.
They said that the brackets don't lineup due to "routing differences" and the exhaust drones on the highway due to higher RPM. So they'll be replacing the muffler and maybe adding a resonator to "improve sound"

Chong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 MT
They said that the brackets don't lineup due to "routing differences" and the exhaust drones on the highway due to higher RPM. So they'll be replacing the muffler and maybe adding a resonator to "improve sound"
I just installed the Borla Atak on my 2023 MT, so I can confirm that it SHOULD fit all 2023 models.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Somebody finally gets me. I feel like if you haven't driven a Mustang with active exhaust, it's going to be hard to understand. It's basically a mute button for the exhaust. The OEM active exhaust setup on the Supra is a bad joke in comparison to what Ford is doing.

Awesome, good to hear. I'm really leaning toward the aFe because unlike the Magnaflow, it has a center resonator that can be replaced with a straight pipe. I have a feeling that the setup I would do on the Magnaflow is muffler on the passenger/quiet side, and straight pipe on the driver/loud side anyway, and that's exactly what the aFe exhaust is plus the option of a center resonator or not. So there's actually some variability there that I wouldn't have with the Magnaflow setup.

That's actually good to hear, as the manual cars are turning higher revs in the 70+ MPH range due to gearing which may prove to be a blessing with drone.
What exhaust did you end up getting?

I’m in the same boat, just got my MT Supra, and I’m in the OC.

Would like something to sound stock with valve closed and a bit wild when the valve is open.

Considering the Dinan, the layout is similar to the AFE. Except it’s. 3.25” system vs AFE 3”. The Dinan piping to the muffler goes down to 2.5”, while the pipe that bypasses the muffler is 3.25”. Compared to the AFE where the pipe bypassing the muffler is still 2.5”

Dinan is also a bit cheaper. Just not a fan of the tips, I’d like double walled slash tips

Just can’t seem to find videos comparing valves closed on stock exhaust vs Dinan.

Last edited:

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

Would like something to sound stock with valve closed and a bit wild when the valve is open.

Considering the Dinan, the layout is similar to the AFE. Except it’s. 3.25” system vs AFE 3”. The Dinan piping to the muffler goes down to 2.5”, while the pipe that bypasses the muffler is 3.25”. Compared to the AFE where the pipe bypassing the muffler is still 2.5”

Dinan is also a bit cheaper. Just not a fan of the tips, I’d like double walled slash tips

Just can’t seem to find videos comparing valves closed on stock exhaust vs Dinan.
We also do Apexi which retains valves and Ark Performance.

-Josh

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT

I ended up with the aFe Takeda and I'm pretty happy with it.

It's a straight(ish) pipe with the valve open (I still have OEM downpipe, so it isn't crazy loud) and very quiet with the valve closed and the exhaust redirected through the muffler. I used their resonator delete pipe.

Also the install and alignment is fantastic because they use V-bands everywhere possible. Makes fine-tuning the exhaust tip alignment a cinch.

I do have videos of before/after with the stock exhaust, aFe with resonator, and aFe unresonated, however I never got an opportunity to do any videos with the aFe unresonated for comparison. And now there's an iceberg on my driveway.

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout