A90 Supra engines and parts diagrams (all) revealed!

factsaboutrats

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 LX570 2014 LandSmasher
I wonder what Toyota service departments are doing to prepare the techs for these cars.
Is the company concerned with bmw parts hurting their reliability score? Or is the BMW/Toyota partnership to help with BMW's reliability concerns?
Will it be cheaper to service your car at Toyota or BMW? WIll parts be cheaper at Toyota or BMW?

(All rhetorical questions obviously but I think they are important to bring up)[/QUOTE

At least one tech certified and approx 80,000$ investment in tools to be able to qualify for Supra allocation
Sponsored

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
At least one tech certified and approx 80,000$ investment in tools to be able to qualify for Supra allocation
And here come the ADMs to cover those costs. Lucky for me and others here in Ford-land* ADMs are not permitted in Ontario, of course Ford could change the regs on that.

(*Remember Toronto's crack-smoking mayor, Rob Ford? His brother is now the Premier of Ontario.)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
You might not like Jalopnik but Bozi Tatarevic is legit. No reason to doubt his work in my mind.
Hes the man. He actually took the time to find what parts are shared amongst other BMW models when making his claim of his article instead of rifling off common internet rhetoric

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Exactly! Not to mention that most cars after 1996 require OBD-II systems to be operating at least at 90%. An everyday Joe Shmoe won’t have the money or the technical skillset to swap in a JZ and still be emissions compliant on a brand new car. This is why the big name tuners will do it for “off road use.”
That said, keep in mind that Supra spec 2jzgte's are super hard to get from importers these days. With JDM 93 Supras being eligible to import to the US, and all years of mk4 for Canada now, and the insane prices they are going for (RHD have matched LHD in values now here in Canada), no one in Japan is yanking 2js out of mk4s to sell here anymore (or at least its pretty rare). That said, 2jz supply is great and cheap, due to the Aristo. But an Aristo 2j is actually a PITA to swap into a mk4. Under hood ECU, different mounts, OBD2 issues, theft control, drive by wire and front sump oil pan all make what should be a bolt in affair a total PITA. However, all of those differences will actually make the motor easier to swap into the mk5. Except maybe the oil pan, the b58s looks to be rear sump as well, even though the car is Mac strut like the Aristo.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
That said, keep in mind that Supra spec 2jzgte's are super hard to get from importers these days. With JDM 93 Supras being eligible to import to the US, and all years of mk4 for Canada now, and the insane prices they are going for (RHD have matched LHD in values now here in Canada), no one in Japan is yanking 2js out of mk4s to sell here anymore (or at least its pretty rare). That said, 2jz supply is great and cheap, due to the Aristo. But an Aristo 2j is actually a PITA to swap into a mk4. Under hood ECU, different mounts, OBD2 issues, theft control, drive by wire and front sump oil pan all make what should be a bolt in affair a total PITA. However, all of those differences will actually make the motor easier to swap into the mk5. Except maybe the oil pan, the b58s looks to be rear sump as well, even though the car is Mac strut like the Aristo.
Those are all non issues if you have a blown or na mk4 already, especially if you ignore that some of those differences only apply to vvti models which have never been obd2 compliant (in gte models).

Nevertheless, the real issue is getting the electronics integrated with CANBUS

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the swap (physically) is not the difficult part. Motor mounts, etc.. are quite easy to fab up nowadays and will be plentiful by the aftermarket. I am talking about the integration of the 2JZ in a MKV chassis while retaining CAN BUS functionalities and still remain OBD-II compliant. It's not a matter of moving an ECU with the motor and BAM!!!...2JZ MKV. Alot of cars nowadays have electronic steering, advanced traction controls, etc... that use numerous sensors throughout the car to make those features work...or in some cases drive. Some cars CAN systems need a readout from the motors specific crank angle sensor to actuate the rear diff solenoid. A 2JZ crank angle sensor won't provide that sensor output properly to the CAN BUS, and guess what...you won't have your rear diff working properly. This is just one example, but the list goes on and on...

Swapping a 2JZ into 'X' car is one thing....making the damn thing road legal is another. Alot of IS300 and GS300 folks struggle with this today because of the emissions part of things....and the swap is literally plug and play.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I imagine Obsidian Motorsports/Pure Automotive could pull something out with Motec as they did fantastic work decoding the CAN system on the 86 platform (among others). This many years later, they're still the only company with a fully integrated solution for engine control on JZ side and body control on factory CAN side. Of course, it ain't cheap.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
For what it's worth, my 3UR swap is using the stock Tundra ECU (CAN BUS signals for everything) and I found a guy online that makes CAN BUS translators between the ECU and the 86's CAN network. Works almost perfectly, all the gauges work along with power steering and ABS. Only thing I lost was cruise control (it could probably still be made to work but it's not worth it imo).

We did another 3UR swap in an FJ Cruiser where the old 1GR ECU used mostly analog signals for tach and temp. Using the same translator hooked up to an analog module, the CAN BUS was converted to analog and everything works as it should.

CAN BUS is actually a god send for swaps once you get the hang of it, just spend one or two afternoons reading up on how it works. It's literally just 4 wires (12v ignition, ground, CAN high & CAN low). Every signal has an "ID" and a value, finding those out is as simple as buying a cheap CAN analyzer and a free PC software.

In the case of the MKV and how it's (hopefully) gonna be popular with tuners, those IDs and values will be known in no time just like 86. The 2JZ being all analog, all it's signals can be converted to CAN BUS easily. Even all the new crap in the B58 that doesn't exist on a 2JZ can be "emulated" to seem as if they're all still there. If done correctly the rest of the car will still work as if it had a B58.

That is all that is to CAN BUS, 1 month or even less of R&D should be enough to have it all mapped out and ready to be swapped with whatever engine you want.

Last edited:

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. Is it just me, or did they remove the Supra from the parts site?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
CAN protocol is a very simple protocol, you just need 2 wires (CAN high and CAN low) to transmit data...that's why the auto industry uses it. For example, in my line of work, we primarily work with automation for high voltage equipment....so CAN BUS wouldn't be as efficient as say ModBus over TCP or DNP for electrical interfaces (HMI's) or controllers that need more data points transmitted. However, this still doesn't make interfacing CAN with older ECU's or integrating emulators with CAN a reliable or affordable solution. There are a few standalone ECU's that can integrate with CAN, but they are still ways away from being 100%.

Btw, Pure Automotive still has a check engine light that appears with their solution no? The 86 works, but will it pass emissions when they connect the cord??? :oops:

Last edited: