A91 Turbo and Tune Options?

One_Supra_1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I have a 2021 locked ECU and considering buying myself (or my car i suppose) a bigger turbo as a christmas present. Im looking to make around 550-600 whp on low boost (~20 psi) combined with my intake, charge pipe, and FI exhaust. Will a bigger turbo be necessary for this? Also, wouldn’t a true ECU tune be necessary after upgrading the turbo?

Im currently running a jb4 piggyback on map 2 with the stock turbo, so I wonder if upgrading the turbo is worth it or if I should wait until more ECU unlocking/tunes are available.
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I think a member here, zrk, is using a custom JB4 map with a Pure800 setup. I don't think 550-600 whp is attainable on the stock turbo regardless of the tune or fuel but others will be more knowledgeable.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I think a member here, zrk, is using a custom JB4 map with a Pure800 setup.
True Story. There are a couple of us. It requires you to rely on meth for fueling, which is potentially dangerous.

I've now gone full unlock/tune.

I don't think 550-600
You can squeeze juuusstt over 500 without spray on the stocker, but again, fuel is limiting.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
We offer a few different kits for the Supra
https://x-ph.com/turbos/

The Pure kits are a great option for daily drivers with a significant power increase. I would do that before the ECU Flash

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Pure kits are a great option for daily drivers with a significant power increase. I would do that before the ECU Flash
Sorry, X-PH, but this is flat out bad advice. Don't encourage folks to upgrade their turbos without a plan on how they should control boost or fuel.

JB4 can control boost on a Pure800, but you really have to know what the risks are here. The engine on it's own cannot compensate for fuel or timing with increase boost pressure or a change in the factory boost curve.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Sorry, X-PH, but this is flat out bad advice. Don't encourage folks to upgrade their turbos without a plan on how they should control boost or fuel.

JB4 can control boost on a Pure800, but you really have to know what the risks are here. The engine on it's own cannot compensate for fuel or timing with increase boost pressure or a change in the factory boost curve.
The ECU Compensate for fuel and timing all the time, that's how any piggyback works even on the stock turbo.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The ECU Compensate for fuel and timing all the time, that's how any piggyback works even on the stock turbo.
Sure - I mispoke a little bit. The engine can obviously account for changes in boost pressure, or JB4/piggybacks would blow more engines than they do. But changing the turbo is drasticly changing the air flow and the parameters that the maps from the factory as designed to accomidate.

Changing the turbo with no tune, piggy back or otherwise is a bad idea.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Wouldn’t a tuned stock turbo make more power than a pure 800 without a tune? Not sure why anyone would avoid tuning now, we waiting this long for it..

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Wouldn’t a tuned stock turbo make more power than a pure 800 without a tune? Not sure why anyone would avoid tuning now, we waiting this long for it..
Not sure on this. I would not run a pure without at least doing port injection and a tune. You’re asking for all kinds of bad things not running a tune and changing a turbo.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Sure - I mispoke a little bit. The engine can obviously account for changes in boost pressure, or JB4/piggybacks would blow more engines than they do. But changing the turbo is drasticly changing the air flow and the parameters that the maps from the factory as designed to accomidate.

Changing the turbo with no tune, piggy back or otherwise is a bad idea.
I have not seen any data to prove this. As long as you are running the turbo within your tune's limits, you're good as proven by thousands of tuned BMWs with piggybacks.

Maybe you have seen posts or data I am not aware of, in this case, please send it to me, and im more than happy to take a closer look.

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I would not upgrade the turbo without proper tuning. You'll hit your goals with Ecutek/Flex Fuel/Pure Turbo/Tune .... that's all it'll taken. Id advise against using a piggyback on an upgraded turbo car.

Can you? Yes.
Should you? No, no imo.

Feel free to reach out if I can help!

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Full Race and Archer Fabrications/Harrison Performance have 6 port kits releasing early next year if you want to go the top mount route. I would recommend against using a piggy back with these options. ?
Sponsored