Air Intake and Turbo noises

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
So, it’s been a few years now that you guys had the Supra. Besides the MST Ver. 2, what other cold air intake provides the best sound experience?

YouTube is rarely a great resource for honest opinions. Everything is the best.

CAI could care less about. I would just throw in a high flow filter and call it a day. But, you know. Doing it for my little co-pilot boy.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to give their feedback on my question!
Sponsored

Mayday

First Name
Nayef
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
HKS all the way
Top quality in my opinion and you can hear the turbo noises clearly. The cons I guess but I didn’t reach that until now, that you need to replace the filter. Not the whole filter just the sponge inside the filter after 6 to 12 months, or drive 6,000km to 10,000km
I think you can’t compare other brand noises unless you hear them yourself.
0060E238-99DC-4BDE-8A4F-A2C587EEE6FA.jpeg

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
HKS all the way
Top quality in my opinion and you can hear the turbo noises clearly. The cons I guess but I didn’t reach that until now, that you need to replace the filter. Not the whole filter just the sponge inside the filter after 6 to 12 months, or drive 6,000km to 10,000km
I think you can’t compare other brand noises unless you hear them yourself.
0060E238-99DC-4BDE-8A4F-A2C587EEE6FA.jpeg
Naturally, having the convenience to have all to hear would be optimal. That isn’t an option for myself.

Opinions wouldn’t be held as gold. But, would help make a more educated purchase having actual every day drivers perspective as opposed to just making a blind purchase based on reviewers with ulterior motives to praise or just for clicks.

The HKS I was considering. Especially since I’m going with the HKS springs and exhaust. Why not all HKS. But, I’d honestly prefer a filter I could clean myself instead of having to purchase a new one.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
Armaspeed
Armaspeed seems to be what I am leaning towards. Reason I don’t want to go with the MST intake is because from what I’ve seen it does a worse job with AIT temps than stock in humidity/heat.

You or anyone reading wouldn’t happen to know if the Armaspeed is on par with stock temps or improves by chance would be incredibly appreciated!

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Armaspeed seems to be what I am leaning towards. Reason I don’t want to go with the MST intake is because from what I’ve seen it does a worse job with AIT temps than stock in humidity/heat.

You or anyone reading wouldn’t happen to know if the Armaspeed is on par with stock temps or improves by chance would be incredibly appreciated!
any intake other than stock will have higher IATs. MST and Armaspeed should be equal in terms of high IATs-- you cannot have both sound and performance..... unless you cut a few holes in your hood hehe

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Any of those type of metal frame and quasi-enclosed intakes are gonna heat up more than OEM or the Eventuri/HKS intakes.

If you want to keep temps down, stick with OEM. Since you want the spiny turbo boi noises (I mean, why don't you), then I would suggest either of the enclosed intakes (such as Eventuri or HKS).

I have the HKS and it is just as loud from outside of the car as my MST was (from others who have heard it). It's quieter than the MST from inside the car.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I have t51 mod and stock intake. My turbo whistle is audible to others as well as in the cabin. Maybe moreso when I do the resonator delete and remove the baffling.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
I have been cruising around with my HKS intake and the top OFF for a month now just for more noises.. today I was driving around and took at look at my IAT's using BM3 ...

Outside temp - 93 (Florida)
Avg IAT - cruising at ~50mph 115

I went home, quickly installed the top of the intake and went back out, cruised the same exact roads.. drove the same speeds etc..

Same outside temps..

Avg IAT's .. 118 ....

Warmer after installing the top??? Any ideas? Car was shut off in the garage while I spent 4 minutes getting the intake back together.. Feel like I want to do this test again in reverse and check temps with the top on.. drive around.. then pull the top off and test. I'm not gonna be mad if it's actually cooler without the top since it sounds better haha.. but I'm kinda confused with the results

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
Funny how nobody in third party made a stock box without the baffling. 🚮

I appreciate everyone’s replies so far. Good information.

I haven’t made up my mind. Paying 1400+ for the Eventuri, sheesh. A cold air intake. I mean, if I do the research and see that it’s actually a legit product then it’s probable.

Every component matters in the end. That’s why some builds from tuners don’t run as quick as others because the parts they used aren’t optimal.

Nobody will see any meaningful gains without a tune to utilize. I learned cold hard lessons when I built my 6th Gen motor. AIT temps will pull timing and make you hate yourself and your car when you’re slower than someone with a comparable build but went with what actually works.

A bit extreme in case of cold air intake, but point is, it’s all min maxing.

Anyone with the AMS intake and does it have decent cabin noise?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
So, it’s been a few years now that you guys had the Supra. Besides the MST Ver. 2, what other cold air intake provides the best sound experience?

YouTube is rarely a great resource for honest opinions. Everything is the best.

CAI could care less about. I would just throw in a high flow filter and call it a day. But, you know. Doing it for my little co-pilot boy.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to give their feedback on my question!
I know you said besides the MST v2, but I find it hard to believe there’s a better value in terms of sound vs price. Admittedly, some other options look nicer, but I wanted loud turbo noises, and the MST absolutely delivers.

Just listen to it…

(Mic in the engine bay 😎)

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Another intake option I don't see talked about often is from aFe. Enclosed intake box (polymer) and comes with a turbo inlet. Costs much less than Eventuri or HKS. Decent turbo noise improvement. It will never be as loud as an unenclosed intake, but something to consider as an option more resistant to heat soak.
Sponsored