All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Makes sense the M2 gets a manual, that's their entry level M car, kinda what the GR86 is for Toyota. BMW is just a more costly entry lol. Next few years will be great for car enthusiasts. New Z, New GR86, New STI, Supra refresh, New Lotus, another GR model, New Boxster/Cayman. Gonna be great.
The MT rate for the F80 M3 is about 30%, idk about the M4. I guess that would be right about where a "MT Supra" would be as well. Agree, no arguments there. The more the merrier.

Same here, I think it's just way too late in the product life cycle for any major changes. There are only 3 model years left before production ends. I doubt Toyota would pour $XXX into R&D for just a 20-30 percent return rate on a niche product.
Yeah, maybe if this thing had the typical 8-10 yr life cycle. Then maybe I think there could possibly be a chance. I would think the only other transmission offering would be the DCT in the rumored GRMN model. The thing is everything seems to be an afterthought when it came to the development. Like the 2.0 didn't start until half way into the testing of the 3.0. Tada said manual prototypes of the Supra didn't take place until after or near product launch. I'm just saying if Toyota was serious about a manual they would have test mules with a stick on day one and not almost half a decade after the initial planning and testing phase.
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We need more leaks about the GRMN lol.
They're probably waiting until the Z is released to see what they have to work with in terms of specs and price. Although some earlier rumors suggested the GRMN model may not find its way to the US market if sales for the GR model weren't what they expected but yeah I see a DCT in that model and not a manual option unfortunately.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
They're probably waiting until the Z is released to see what they have to work with in terms of specs and price. Although some earlier rumors suggested the GRMN model may not find its way to the US market if sales for the GR model weren't what they expected but yeah I see a DCT in that model and not a manual option unfortunately.
Every single GRMN came either exclusively with a manual or had a manual option.

So I don't think your last sentence is necessarily true.

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
Yeah-that nismo version actually looks great IMO. the body kit details and bar in the grill really change the look. I dont think the car is ugly at all...however the perfectly rectangle opening put me off a little on first glance.

I actually wasnt completely sold on the Supra's aesthetics until I went and saw it in person. Both the Z and the Supra have bold styling, I give Nissan and Toyota credit for that.

Regarding the transmissions-Ive been driving for 27 years (legally) and I was a hardcore manual guy before the Supra. I wasnt even sure I liked this car until I drove it. I had a 30 minute test drive and it was one of the most fun cars I had ever driven. The styling in person and the feel of driving it blew me away. The transmission is excellent...and I don't want a manual or miss it at all in this car. It is so effective, the mapping in sport so good, and the response in manual so quick, I dont find myself ever thinking about it.

I'm not brand loyal or get caught up in that type of garbage. I've had many cars/trucks, all over the map. The Supra is excellent and is that much better, especially aesthetically, with some modification. I'm sure the new Z will be the same. I'm excited for Nissan and Z fans.

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
Regardless of brand loyalty or just hating on a car - the truth is if you are a SPORTS car enthusiast you want the Z to be successful. It will make other manufacturers consider bringing back or making new sports cars to compete bc there will be a market. The other side of it - it will push Toyota to make a better, faster version of their own car. My point is - as long as more cars succeed in making a sports car - we are all winners.
I think back to when you had your choice of the twin turbo 300z, the Supra, RX-7 and the 3000GT VR4. It was a great time to be a sports car enthusiast and I hope by Nissan doing this - it will encourage other manufacturers to do the same.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Nismo version really goes a long way... that's not saying much though.
Can't wait to see what sticker kits, I mean special editions they come out with later.
Side note: having installed aftermarket parts on a Q, and now my Supra. As far as ease of actually doing work on the car, it's not even close. Supra hands down.
I liked both of my 370s. On one of them, I did full bolt-ons, longtube headers, high flow cats and a tune, and it felt like I gained 10hp. It really just said “nope, no more power.”

Anyway, I’m glad they’ve come out with the 400z. It should carry them into the 2040s.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
If the Nissan Z lives up to all the hype I would consider getting one to compliment my Weekend fun cars. Not the first year of course. I need for those thousands of beta testers to work out all the bugs first. ?

-RJM

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
I liked both of my 370s. On one of them, I did full bolt-ons, longtube headers, high flow cats and a tune, and it felt like I gained 10hp. It really just said “nope, no more power.”

Anyway, I’m glad they’ve come out with the 400z. It should carry them into the 2040s.
I'm glad they're continuing it and as others have said more competition is always a good thing. I just can't help but be a bit disappointed. I feel like Nissan turned in their homework late and just ended up just turning in a previous paper with a few changes and still probably have a lot of the same errors from the last assignment.

I'm still holding off on final judgment, I mean I didn't like the Supra in pictures initially. Hopefully, they fixed things like the CSC, fuel starvation, ice mode, clutch activation that has a very narrow range, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.