Another Subwoofer/Audio upgrade question

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Greetings, folks.

Been a lurker for a bit and finally made an account to join in on the fun conversations. I have a new 21 3.0 premium and have read through every audio thread on this forum, other sites, and youtube :cool:

I have done the Tadda fix and it certainly helped with the low end, but ultimately I would like to do a bit more with it. I visited my sound shop today and he is putting together a few quotes for me, but I want to be armed with as much info as possible to ensure I am not just throwing money away.

My simplified thoughts are:
The front speakers sound pretty decent (imo) after quite a bit of EQ tuning, etc. I know the shop is going to quote me for a full replacement across the board, and also just a "low end" fix. For the sake of costs, I am leaning towards a low-end fix and this is where I would love some opinions from you fellas.

Ideally I would like to keep the factory 8's where they are and use them as mid-bass options. I'd be adding a 10 inch sub to the system with an amp and dsp to clean up the sound a bit. Regarding the mid-bass (factory 8s), can the amp/dsp combo also be attached to those to clean up the sound a bit? The mid bass tends to fall off as I approach 65% volume levels and I wasn't sure if this was something I could clean up.

Sorry for the random thoughts and questions. Basically, I am going to an authorized JL audio dealer who has done a few installs for me in the past on cars, but ultimately don't feel the need to swap out the front speakers as they sound ok to me (shop owner was really excited about the JL audio dsp/amp combo btw). So any/all suggestions on how to clean up the mid-bass and add a sub would be welcomed.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
To dsp/amp the 8"s you'll need to disconnect from factory amp and connect to the new amp, can't do both. Your installer planning on deleting the factory amp or just high-level inputting the signals to the new amp?

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
To dsp/amp the 8"s you'll need to disconnect from factory amp and connect to the new amp, can't do both. Your installer planning on deleting the factory amp or just high-level inputting the signals to the new amp?
Sorry I was away for a few days and just saw this. He is going to be utilizing the Helix SDMI25 with a JL Audio VX amp with dsp and replacing basically everything. Im waiting on the final specs to come in but its sounding really promising and im getting excited lol.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Sorry I was away for a few days and just saw this. He is going to be utilizing the Helix SDMI25 with a JL Audio VX amp with dsp and replacing basically everything. Im waiting on the final specs to come in but its sounding really promising and im getting excited lol.
That is definitely the correct way to be doing this. I am excited to see what the results are. Can you provide details on what speakers and channels you will be utilizing?

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
That is definitely the correct way to be doing this. I am excited to see what the results are. Can you provide details on what speakers and channels you will be utilizing?
Absolutely. I drop it off on the 12th and will get a full breakdown of everything and post it here. I'm happy to share everything once I have it all in hand. We have gone back and forth (my installer and I) researching and finding the exact fits for my needs. Once every piece is finalized ill post it all up :cool:

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Are you replacing the center channel speakers as well?

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Are you replacing the center channel speakers as well?
Yes. I pick it up tomorrow, I hope. Parts were a bit delayed in shipping so I got a late start. It's been in the shop all week so I'm pretty excited haha. I'll post a report once I have it back.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I had a 12” sub installed, which was sort of overkill, so I decided a 15 would be even better.

Ha ha! Love it!

Nothing says bass like taking up 90% of your trunk :thumbsup:.

On my X3MC I have a 10" W7 in a ported box which takes up 80% of the SUV trunk. No matter...it sounds fantastic!

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Ha ha! Love it!

Nothing says bass like taking up 90% of your trunk :thumbsup:.

On my X3MC I have a 10" W7 in a ported box which takes up 80% of the SUV trunk. No matter...it sounds fantastic!
All about priorities. Funk is a noble priority.

sanh12

First Name
San
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
I had a 12” sub installed, which was sort of overkill, so I decided a 15 would be even better.
69A78740-54C3-4992-BEDE-8D1C31FC9F45.jpeg
D5FEC938-4787-4514-9AAF-21C74AADA8AA.jpeg
FA07FC61-54A3-43AD-9C61-6A12533989C8.jpeg
How difficult was it? I have 1 10”s with a prebuilt box. Did u just completely take out the stock subs and box and throw yours in? Any tips or advice too? i’ll be pushing around 1500-2,000 watts.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Gonna dig this thread out of the grave. Any pics of what the final product was @HookemNC ?
Sponsored