Anyone using JB4?

wrapfee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 NSX, 2016 428i Gran Coupe
Yep! The Fuel-it app has a calculator (there are others online as well) that has you put in how much fuel you currently have left in your tank (you can use the Supra Connect app to see this) and what your target ethanol content is. On an average fill up, I usually add somewhere between 2.5 and 3 gallons of ethanol to hit e25. The Fuel-it sensor has been pretty great for this and has taken all the guess work out of it. Some folks will look at you like you are crazy when you use two different pumps at the same station :p
LOL! That's good info, I appreciate it man. I'll check out the Fuel-It sensor as well!
Sponsored

superd6199

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Edition, RC-F, CT200h F-Sport, GS350 F-Sport, Integra Type R
So I just installed my JB4 on Friday and posted some logs on N54 Tech and havenā€™t heard anything back. Do you guys whoā€™ve posted your logs there have any idea how long they typically take to get back to you?
My log experience with N54 has been several days and on a few occasions I had to bump the thread to get it noticed. Good luck with your log reviews.

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My log experience with N54 has been several days and on a few occasions I had to bump the thread to get it noticed. Good luck with your log reviews.
Yes, actually they did get back to me already and everything looks clean on Map2 so far.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Yep! The Fuel-it app has a calculator (there are others online as well) that has you put in how much fuel you currently have left in your tank (you can use the Supra Connect app to see this) and what your target ethanol content is. On an average fill up, I usually add somewhere between 2.5 and 3 gallons of ethanol to hit e25. The Fuel-it sensor has been pretty great for this and has taken all the guess work out of it. Some folks will look at you like you are crazy when you use two different pumps at the same station
As a jb4 user, only thing I would add is if you are going to go the E85 route, might want to invest in a tester as well.....not all E85 pumps are created equal and if the bad stuff gets in, engine will run crappy until the fuel has emptied. Extreme case, could be damage to fuel system. Have heard of guys having to remove their tank to have it emptied......Kind of "pricey".

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
As a jb4 user, only thing I would add is if you are going to go the E85 route, might want to invest in a tester as well.....not all E85 pumps are created equal and if the bad stuff gets in, engine will run crappy until the fuel has emptied. Extreme case, could be damage to fuel system. Have heard of guys having to remove their tank to have it emptied......Kind of "pricey".
Raleigh area sheets all have 70% on the button haha. I've tested like ten different ones but yes, that's a great point to add. Definitely should buy a test kit and test the ethanol percentage.

Hendo

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 Supra, 18 Audi RS3, 09 Subaru STi
I just installed my JB4 and I'm trying to figure out exactly how much benefit I'm getting out of it. I've been diggin through logs and noticing that the ECU seems to be compensating for the boost the JB4 is adding.

When I first installed the JB4 I was smashing 20-24 lbs of boost, but the throttle was closing that the ECU was pulling timing. once the ECU started to learn it was just requesting less boost inverse of what the JB4 was adding (requesting 12-16 when the JB4 is adding 4 instead of the 16-20 it was requesting when i first installed it) and added ignition advance back in.

Essentially the JB4 tries to trick the ECU into adding boost, but because the way this ECU operates that may not always add power. This ECU makes a calculation based on torque requested whether it wants to add boost or timing or some combination of the two. It appears that if it sees too much boost it will just pull timing and adjust.

I'm going to continue to log and throw those numbers into virtual dyno as well as do some dragy runs to see what the real world gains are.

Any one know an easy way to reset ECU learning??

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I just installed my JB4 and I'm trying to figure out exactly how much benefit I'm getting out of it. I've been diggin through logs and noticing that the ECU seems to be compensating for the boost the JB4 is adding.

When I first installed the JB4 I was smashing 20-24 lbs of boost, but the throttle was closing that the ECU was pulling timing. once the ECU started to learn it was just requesting less boost inverse of what the JB4 was adding (requesting 12-16 when the JB4 is adding 4 instead of the 16-20 it was requesting when i first installed it) and added ignition advance back in.

Essentially the JB4 tries to trick the ECU into adding boost, but because the way this ECU operates that may not always add power. This ECU makes a calculation based on torque requested whether it wants to add boost or timing or some combination of the two. It appears that if it sees too much boost it will just pull timing and adjust.

I'm going to continue to log and throw those numbers into virtual dyno as well as do some dragy runs to see what the real world gains are.

Are you running Ethanol?
I noticed my timing greatly improves after adding octane aka E juice. Across all maps timing seems to be greatly improved where as b4 it was pulling a little timing with 93.
Adding flex fuel sensor and WMI within a couple weeks as well for obvious reasons.

Hendo

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you running Ethanol?
Yes I add a gallon or so just for a bit of safety.

I noticed my timing greatly improves after adding octane aka E juice.
Did it improve due to the ethanol or improve because your ECU adapted and lowered boost??

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes I add a gallon or so just for a bit of safety.

Did it improve due to the ethanol or improve because your ECU adapted and lowered boost??
I did many pulls with 93 only with similar results, after two logs with roughly e30 things improved greatly. I followed advice from other posts from N54Tech. If the quality of 93 around is poor it doesn't seem to run well on JB4.

Hendo

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did many pulls with 93 only with similar results, after two logs with roughly e30 things improved greatly. I followed advice from other posts from N54Tech. If the quality of 93 around is poor it doesn't seem to run well on JB4.
My logs cleared up on 93 map 1, but the boost levels are much lower than before.

I'm gonna science the shit out of this! And by that I mean I'm going to run tests, collect data, and see what it says.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My logs cleared up on 93 map 1, but the boost levels are much lower than before.

I'm gonna science the shit out of this! And by that I mean I'm going to run tests, collect data, and see what it says.
My boost levels haven't changed just timing. And heck yeah. I would post logs at n54tech.com Terry or Steve @ BMS should be able to help you out.

Nchaydar

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I am running a Jb4 with catless downpipe and a E30 blend however I keep getting a MIXTURE TOO LEAN code. Has anyone else had this issue ?

Hendo

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am running a Jb4 with catless downpipe and a E30 blend however I keep getting a MIXTURE TOO LEAN code. Has anyone else had this issue ?
I have not, what do the logs say? What are you using to monitor ethanol content??

sstevens7

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

One of the common responses from terry and Steve on n54 is they notice due to bad fuel or lower octane it starts to pull timing and they almost always advise the poster to add some E, do some data logging and send the logs.

They are now saying on 2021s that they like to run on map 5 and adjust your duty bias and FF. Iā€™m doing just that right now and am getting consistent boost across the rpm band no e blend for me though. Just 93 octane. Not wanting to mess with blending e fuel in.

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
One of the common responses from terry and Steve on n54 is they notice due to bad fuel or lower octane it starts to pull timing and they almost always advise the poster to add some E, do some data logging and send the logs.

They are now saying on 2021s that they like to run on map 5 and adjust your duty bias and FF. Iā€™m doing just that right now and am getting consistent boost across the rpm band no e blend for me though. Just 93 octane. Not wanting to mess with blending e fuel in.
I was also advised to run Map 5 as apposed to Map 3 on my 2021. Does anyone know why an absolute map is preferred over an additive map? What adjustments are you making to FF and Duty Bias?
Sponsored