B48 4 cylinder Supra will come to US?

Would you be interested in a 255hp B48 Supra for $40k-$45k?

• Total voters

ZDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
I'm more interested in a 4-cylinder version than the 6. Less weight, better weight distribution, less $$$$, still plenty of performance potential.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
It feels a bit more agile in quick corner to corner driving where the weight is shifting back and forth and on turn in, but otherwise feels very similar as one might expect.

And while it's not gutless by any means it does feel like it could use more power. The car is still over 3k lbs with only 260hp...

If it was 35k and available manual, it would be such a great contender vs the I6 car. The manual and price being very important. You'd basically have what I want, a mod friendly modern S15 spec R (probably a little lighter too being manual).
Just convience Toyota to make the next 86 Turbo and here you have it,a modern S15 Spec R

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
As much as I'd like to agree, I dislike the boxer engines in general (aside from when Porsche does them) and realize the futility of trying to convince anyone of anything.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
i m kind of upset hearing this. this is really cheap marketing from toyota trying to ruin SUPRA brand as it already is.

Supra is always inline 6 cylinder, never 4 cylinder. DONT call inline 4 a supra. CALL THAT 86!! that is what AE 86 was known for inline 4.

And sorry for the 86 owners out there that use subaru flat 4 engine..that should not be called as 86.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
If they have no plans on bringing to the US why are there 4 banger test cars driving around CA?

thats a disappointment to have body style same as Supra. this is so stupid. they should put that 4 inline cylinder in FRS or the 86 instead.. thats why 86 was known for (inline 4). Dont mix supra with the 86.

bad marketting

ZDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
If people are worried about the name (I couldn't care less), "Celica", would make a lot more sense than "86" as they already have a very different car called "86". Even though the 86 really is more of a modern version of the old rwd Celica!
Anyway, I really hope they bring it to the U.S., even if they call it the Toyota Z4 sDrive 30i Coupe...

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
i m kind of upset hearing this. this is really cheap marketing from toyota trying to ruin SUPRA brand as it already is.

Supra is always inline 6 cylinder, never 4 cylinder. DONT call inline 4 a supra. CALL THAT 86!! that is what AE 86 was known for inline 4.

And sorry for the 86 owners out there that use subaru flat 4 engine..that should not be called as 86.
I4 = Celica

A machine with a glorious motorsport history

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
For what it's worth, the "USA" destination Supra with the 4-cylinder (the DB23) is a B46, not a B48, despite what the editors on Wikipedia say (they edited my initial correct information to make it incorrect, then proceeded to again make it incorrect again after I corrected it a second time, I won't be correcting it a third).

Jeff

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
If it was 35k and available manual, it would be such a great contender vs the I6 car. The manual and price being very important. You'd basically have what I want, a mod friendly modern S15 spec R (probably a little lighter too being manual).
That would certainly make things difficult for me. I'm wondering if part of their marketing strategy though is to offer the I4 at a slightly lower price with the automatic only so they don't pull sales from the I6 or the 86. The I4 car would basically be for middle-aged women as you said, or those wanting to swap the motor. If you want an I4 with a manual, get the 86. If you want the Supra but care about performance, get the I6.

If there were an I4 manual around $40k I'd have a tough choice. I've said that I would chose that any day over the I6 automatic, but that was before driving one. I still want a manual, but I think I'm hooked on the I6 for now.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree entirely with your synopsis of likely marketing/sales moves. But yeah, the tough part is that the I6 auto car is damn good... In order for the 4cyl to make any sense, it would need to be at the very least $10k less and manual as said IMO. Still pretty pricey for what you're getting, and even at ~280hp (280whp in other words) as GT3 hinted at we would be inevitably looking at the hp bump also coming to the 2021MY @ 382hp.

our situation at the moment looks like this to me (which is exactly the pricing structure range Tada has continually stated internally):

-base 4cyl: $40k (280hp)
-premium 4cyl: $45k (280hp)
-base 6cyl: $50k (382hp)
-premium 6cyl: $55k (382hp)

So, my question would be why not drop the 4cyl down into the $35/40k bracket, but now we have more answers to this aside from just production costs: new 86. I bet the new 86 is going to start at $30k despite being overpriced for its performance (if rumors hold any weight) and end up being base $30k and loaded $35k. You now have an ideal product stack from a marketing and sales perspective.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I agree entirely with your synopsis of likely marketing/sales moves. But yeah, the tough part is that the I6 auto car is damn good, and in order for the 4cyl to make any sense it would need to be at the very least $10k less and manual. Still pretty pricey for what you're getting, and even at ~280hp (280whp in other words) as GT3 hinted at we would be inevitably looking at the hp bump also coming to the 2021MY @ 382hp.

our situation at the moment looks like this to me (which is exactly the pricing structure range Tada has continually stated internally):

-base 4cyl: 280hp @ $40k
-premium 4cyl: 280hp @ $45k
-base 6cyl: 382hp @ 50k
-premium 6cyl: 382hp @ 55k

So, my question would be why not drop the 4cyl down into the 35/40k bracket and create a real winner, but now we have more answers to this aside from just production costs: new 86. I bet the new 86 is going to start at $30k despite being overpriced for it's performance (if rumors hold any weight) and end up being base $30k and loaded $35k. You now have an ideal product stack from a marketing and sales perspective.
I feel like Toyota is putting its cars too close together in terms of price and performance.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've always disliked when companies don't differentiate enough between products...

Not sure if anyone here follows or uses Garmin products, but their watches are an absolute convoluted mess in this regard. Pay $25 more for this feature but lose this other one, or pay $50 for this other watch and get both, and the list continues. But basically they have a bunch of watches within a short stones throw and you sit there going what the hell am I supposed to do here?

Phones are also getting bad. We have Samsung S10e, S10, S10+, S10+ 5G, and now others are doing that too to follow suit.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Its true with tons of products! and then they will leave off a feature on the high end model that was useful on a lower end model (ahem manual transmission maybe?)

ZDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
The I4 car would basically be for middle-aged women as you said, or those wanting to swap the motor.
I'm not a middle-aged woman, but so what If I was? I wouldn't be swapping the motor either. If I get an i4 Supra, it will be to drive daily and to/from track events.

If you want an I4 with a manual, get the 86. If you want the Supra but care about performance, get the I6.
I care about performance, but also care about weight. And weight distribution. And $$$$.

My ideal would be a shorter wheelbase cab-rearward 2seat FT86 with an n.a. Lexus v6. That coulda been a 2800lb 300+hp 50/50 sports car for $40-45k, easy. Ah, what might have been...
Sponsored