First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Looking into catted downpipes right now since I live in Cali. Anyone got a recommendations? As of right now, the popular ones are AFE and Active Autowerke. I’d prefer ones that don’t throw a CEL too and most likely going to pair the downpipe with a tune.
Best downpipe is the Active Autowerke catted but like every other aftermarket downpipe its not legal in CA
Sponsored

KeshyMKV

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 200 CEL Frequency Intelligent downpipe and I LOVE it. It sounds absolutely INSANE. So much that you'd think it's catless. Plus you can hear the turbo whistle as well.

Here's a video for sound clip reference. Just FF to where the sound clips are. I have zero codes or check engine issues without a tune so far. Been running for 500+ miles, and driving HARD. Could use a tune for sure for efficiency, but still runs just fine.

Cheers,
-V

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
In California it is illegal to replace a properly functioning cat, even with another functioning one. On the other hand new cars don't need a smog inspection for, I think, six years. I'm against going catless. I like to breathe (my '66 GTO not withstanding). I'm guessing a catless DP is probably worth 20 hp and a catted one 10. It'll be interesting to see the results.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
I have the 200 CEL Frequency Intelligent downpipe and I LOVE it. It sounds absolutely INSANE. So much that you'd think it's catless. Plus you can hear the turbo whistle as well.

Here's a video for sound clip reference. Just FF to where the sound clips are. I have zero codes or check engine issues without a tune so far. Been running for 500+ miles, and driving HARD. Could use a tune for sure for efficiency, but still runs just fine.

Cheers,
-V
Nice!

OP
OP
MKV_Ant

MKV_Ant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra

Cheers,
-V
keep us updated if there’s a CEL! Are you planning on getting a tune?

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Any thoughts on power needy or CG precision DS1 catted downpipe? Any reason to choose one of these over the AA? I currently have the AFe catted downpipe on, but with a much smaller diameter not sure I’m getting the same gains of going with one of the others? I want to stay catted just for the “smell”. I have a tune so not worried about CEL. Should I just be satisfied with AFe or should I keep looking?

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
@KeshyMKV After driving around more with stock tune have you noticed a performance increase? Not sure I want to void my warranty with a tune just yet.

KeshyMKV

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
Vehicle Showcase
keep us updated if there’s a CEL! Are you planning on getting a tune?
Hey, I ended up making the video covering this a few days ago. So far drive over 500 miles with the DP on without a tune and no issues so far. I am planning on getting a tune, just waiting for the right software and the right tuner with enough experience to make me feel comfortable. Also have a few more power mods getting installed soon, so wanted to wait to get those on before the tune.

Here's a link to the video if you are interested:

@KeshyMKV After driving around more with stock tune have you noticed a performance increase? Not sure I want to void my warranty with a tune just yet.
I have definitely noticed power gains, maybe nothing crazy, probably 10-12whp, but you can feel it in the torque increase for sure without any tune.

The only thing I have noticed is after a hard drive for a couple minutes straight, the turbo seems to really lag when starting from a complete stop. No check engine lights or codes pop up, but I definitely notice that the ECU is working behind the scene to protect the engine I think until things cool down a bit, then things go right back to normal. Now, I will say I only notice this in manual mode, as I rarely drive in auto when in sport mode.

I am with you on the tune as well for warranty. It won't void warranty either way, it's whether the dealer can prove that "tune" caused the issue. I am waiting as much as I can.

Cheers,
-V

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
If you are worried about warranty, get a Jb4 and remove it before your dealership visit

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Your videos seem to show FI exhaust tips.

Do you only have the downpipe and the tips?
or
Do you actually have the whole FI exhaust system?

Last edited:

Dick

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Any thoughts on power needy or CG precision DS1 catted downpipe? Any reason to choose one of these over the AA? I currently have the AFe catted downpipe on, but with a much smaller diameter not sure I’m getting the same gains of going with one of the others? I want to stay catted just for the “smell”. I have a tune so not worried about CEL. Should I just be satisfied with AFe or should I keep looking?
I was really torn between catted or no cat for the DP -- mainly just based on price and whether even bothering with a cat was going to be worth the almost $600 extra (which I can only hope won't ever trigger a CEL). That said, I saw Powerneedy came in with a good price on their catted DP this week + free shipping/no sales tax so I decided to give them a shot. Should arrive next week and I'll get it installed and report on if it can keep the CEL off. (If it does, I may opt for a JB4 tune instead to preserve warranty as I can always remove that and put the stock DP back on in a pinch if needed)

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
I was really torn between catted or no cat for the DP -- mainly just based on price and whether even bothering with a cat was going to be worth the almost $600 extra (which I can only hope won't ever trigger a CEL). That said, I saw Powerneedy came in with a good price on their catted DP this week + free shipping/no sales tax so I decided to give them a shot. Should arrive next week and I'll get it installed and report on if it can keep the CEL off. (If it does, I may opt for a JB4 tune instead to preserve warranty as I can always remove that and put the stock DP back on in a pinch if needed)
I have received and installed the Power Needy catted downpipe. I installed in yesterday. Went for a 150ish mile drive today varying speeds up to 140 mph. No check engine light. I do have a tune on my vehicle, but do not have the 02 sensor CEL disabled. So far, so good. I did replace an AFe Catted downpipe for this one. It has a higher flow cat in it and it doesn't taper down to stock exhaust size as quickly. Here is a picture for comparison.
IMG_4065.JPG

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I did replace an AFe Catted downpipe for this one. It has a higher flow cat in it and it doesn't taper down to stock exhaust size as quickly. Here is a picture for comparison.
IMG_4065.JPG
No offense to aFe, but i think no one should be buying their DP per it's sheer diameter sizing. I've seen similar reviews and pictures like this... Looks to be 3.5" tubing all across.

Can you comment on the sound and performance difference between the two?
Was aFe deeper sounding or something?

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I have received and installed the Power Needy catted downpipe. I installed in yesterday. Went for a 150ish mile drive today varying speeds up to 140 mph. No check engine light. I do have a tune on my vehicle, but do not have the 02 sensor CEL disabled. So far, so good. I did replace an AFe Catted downpipe for this one. It has a higher flow cat in it and it doesn't taper down to stock exhaust size as quickly. Here is a picture for comparison.
IMG_4065.JPG
AFE looks like it skipped leg day

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I can also vouch for the AA catted downpipe. I had the better part of 300 miles on my car before getting tuned with no CEL. My tune also doesn't have the downstream O2 disabled. I'm right at 1300 miles on the car now with no CEL.

The car sounds great with it too. In comfort mode, the car is no louder than stock. In sport mode, there's more aggression that still sounds tasteful. No drone or other irritating NVH. Outside of wanting different exhaust tips or weight reduction, there's really no compelling reason to add an aftermarket exhaust.
Sponsored