BimmerTech Front View Camera Retrofit for Supra NOW AVAILABLE

CarNut

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman 718, Mustang GT, F-150
One of my few gripes with the Supra is the lack of a 360 camera, especially with the limited visibility - I find myself often unsure about how close I'm parking to a curb. BimmerTech makes this front view camera that actually works within iDrive, and is compatible with the G29 Z4, as well as other BMW's that have iDrive 6.0 like the Supra.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-bmw-front-view-camera-retrofit

Update 9/22: Now Confirmed to be Compatible with the A90/MK5 Supra!
Just enter your Supra VIN in the link above and it will now pull up the correct model for you to order.
Bump. Has anyone tried the front end camera on a 2022 premium? I did a chat with one of their reps and he said they dont offer any compatible cameras. Tried my VIN as well and nothing came up.
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Bump. Has anyone tried the front end camera on a 2022 premium? I did a chat with one of their reps and he said they dont offer any compatible cameras. Tried my VIN as well and nothing came up.
Did you read the thread? Someone bought the kit and installed it on their Supra.

OP
OP
Twundy

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
So from your note and @kaj 's, it seems that perhaps only 2020 and 2021 Premiums are added to their compatible VIN list, but maybe not non-Premiums or 2022+. There's a good chance it's still compatible, but that would be at your own risk if not on their VIN list. Best to see with their customer service if they plan to officially support non-premium or 2022+ models.

I'd assume if you have the large screen and CarPlay, etc. the iDrive would be the same version/compatibility.

If you're willing to risk it, this random 2021 Premium VIN (WZ1DB0C00MW039005) pulls up:
"Models: All
Head unit: ENAVEVO / NBTEVO ID5/6 (with touchscreen)
Transmission: Automatic"
As the model to order to install.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I installed this on my '20 last month. Works perfectly.

However, I believe it is for the 8-inch Premium "iDrive 6" only.

CarNut

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman 718, Mustang GT, F-150
Did you read the thread? Someone bought the kit and installed it on their Supra.
I did. Different model year and my VIN doesnt show it is compatible...

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I did. Different model year and my VIN doesnt show it is compatible...
Fair enough. There's no difference between the model years' head units (for a given trim level). So the compatibility with earlier model years should apply to yours as well.

Limoncello

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0L
For the folks that installed the bimmer-tech front mount camera kit. Any tips or tricks regarding the mounting of the front camera? Does the bumper have to come off or can I work my way around it?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Can anyone who has this provide an update? Was it worth it? Any issues? Better alternatives? Has anyone with a MY23MT installed this yet? Am I asking too many questions?

EDIT: Pulled the trigger anyway.. lets see how it goes.

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to upload a video of the BimmerTech camera in action but this site won't let me. I've even tried multiple re-encodes at smaller and smaller resolutions but it always results in "something went wrong." Oh well.

In any case, I've been using the camera for a few months now and the camera works relatively well. I have recently begun to use it quite regularly as I've moved my Supra in a tight garage space and it's quite handy for what it is.

The camera is engaged and disengaged by pressing and holding the physical "option" button located in the center console. The quality is good enough to get the job done but in 2024 it really is potato quality. Despite the cost, this isn't all that surprising considering the camera is connected to the MMI box via a single analogue RCA video cable.

The camera can be engaged any time including while driving at speed which is a nice novelty but it wears off pretty quickly - partially due to the video quality. Also worth noting is that having the camera on overrides everything else being displayed, ie: engaging reverse doesn't invoke the camera if the front camera is already active. This also means the camera stays on once the car is turned off (presumably until the electrics turn off) so it is best to turn it off via a long press of the "options" button before exiting the vehicle.

It all works quite well although it does briefly flash an iDrive screen (options) when turning the camera on/off which isn't a big deal but does make it a little clunky.

Overall, I'm happy with it and I'm glad I had it installed.

PS: This is my experience with the BimmerTech camera installed on a MY23 MT Supra.

Additionally: The MMI box itself can be accessed by pressing the number 8 shortcut on the dash. It brings up options and access to Android Auto functionality but I haven't bothered or messed with any of that other than setting up the camera to function as I want.

Last edited:

SuprNova

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MT
I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to upload a video of the BimmerTech camera in action but this site won't let me. I've even tried multiple re-encodes at smaller and smaller resolutions but it always results in "something went wrong." Oh well.

In any case, I've been using the camera for a few months now and the camera works relatively well. I have recently begun to use it quite regularly as I've moved my Supra in a tight garage space and it's quite handy for what it is.

The camera is engaged and disengaged by pressing and holding the physical "option" button located in the center console. The quality is good enough to get the job done but in 2024 it really is potato quality. Despite the cost, this isn't all that surprising considering the camera is connected to the MMI box via a single analogue RCA video cable.

The camera can be engaged any time including while driving at speed which is a nice novelty but it wears off pretty quickly - partially due to the video quality. Also worth noting is that having the camera on overrides everything else being displayed, ie: engaging reverse doesn't invoke the camera if the front camera is already active. This also means the camera stays on once the car is turned off (presumably until the electrics turn off) so it is best to turn it off via a long press of the "options" button before exiting the vehicle.

It all works quite well although it does briefly flash an iDrive screen (options) when turning the camera on/off which isn't a big deal but does make it a little clunky.

Overall, I'm happy with it and I'm glad I had it installed.

PS: This is my experience with the BimmerTech camera installed on a MY23 MT Supra.

Additionally: The MMI box itself can be accessed by pressing the number 8 shortcut on the dash. It brings up options and access to Android Auto functionality but I haven't bothered or messed with any of that other than setting up the camera to function as I want.
Did you do the install yourself and if so, how did it go? i.e. how long, what did you have to remove to do it, etc. I don't have the MMI box so I'd have to install everything and curious if it's something doable alone or if I should pay to have it installed.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Did you do the install yourself and if so, how did it go? i.e. how long, what did you have to remove to do it, etc. I don't have the MMI box so I'd have to install everything and curious if it's something doable alone or if I should pay to have it installed.
I had a shop install it - in their words, it was "a fucking nightmare." A lot of the interior panels need to be removed to install the MMI and the front bumper also needs to come off to fit the camera itself - great excuse to add that low tone z4 horn! BimmerTech does provide instructions and a video.. but it just looked too much for me to bother with.
Sponsored

Last edited: