BMW background or just a lover of the supra?

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Soo I know that the new supra gets a lot of shit for being a bmw, my friends have been those people until they tried the car lol. that's what I've noticed professional car review channels and blogs who actually tried the supra had good things to say about it. I want to know everyone's stance on it, does everyone who buy a supra come from a bmw background or are they just lovers of the supra. I know some youtubers who got it because its a bmw Thic Whips being one of them. Also do the old supra owners like the new one or is it a nice bmw to them? lol
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Never owned a BMW or was a BMW fanatic. I have friends with ///M cars and always thought they had great performance.

For me its the name and aggressive styling. All I care about is the acceleration when I mash the skinny pedal.

-RJM

Last edited:

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Iā€™ve always been an American V8 guy with a heavy corvette bias since i was a kid. I hated the Supra originally in all honesty but it grew on over time and after my Z06 was wrecked I wanted to try something different and here I am loving it. Is it as fast as the Z06ā€¦ not at all the vette was a better car by almost every metric on paper except for one and that was being enjoyable in real life. It was a legit race car for the street and with Z07 package and comp seats was really too much for just a road car couple that with it being an extremely more expensive car i was so paranoid about driving it i couldnā€™t enjoy itā€¦. The Supra is a sports car for the street and i find it much more enjoyable to actually use in the real world personally and although the Supra is not cheap by any means itā€™s less valuable than the vette wasā€¦ call me crazy but i feel almost guilty driving cars this expensive especially at my young age people always make their assumptions on how or why i have these cars but itā€™s not daddyā€™s money, i wish it was lol, and it def isnā€™t to show off as i drive a 2003 Lincoln hooptie everyday but at the end of the day Iā€™m happy with the choices Iā€™ve made :)

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
In our family we've driven a lot of Toyota's and have been (healthy-minded) Toyota fans for a long time now. We never owned any German brands but mostly Japanes/Korean.

Before the Supra I owned a GT86. The fact that Subaru made a lot of the internals for the GT86 was also a non-issue for me. As long as it came from Toyota, and has their approval stamp on it, I felt confident enough to own the vehicle. I had that car for about 7 years until I switched to the Supra.

At first I was kinda skeptical. I wanted to have a fun sportcar that would not break the bank, had higher performance than the GT86 and good emissions. These last 2 things were crucial. In Belgium and most other European countries you will get wrecked by taxes for high-performing cars with bad emissions. On the other hand you will get totally wrecked by yearly vehicle inspections deeming almost all tuning on vehicles to be illegal (even changes that can make your vehicle safer... go figure).

After I test drove the car I felt the same as I test drove the GT86. A feeling of longing to go buy the vehicle. As always I tend to not rush these things and let it simmer for some months until my girlfriend became annoyed of me constantly talking about the car. That pushed me to go out and buy it.

Do I get the typical "muh bMw" comments? Ofcourse. Does it bother me? Not really. Those comments only come (in my area) from people that at most could afford older gen Volkswagens.

Other than that, I dislike the look of last few generations of BMW's. Locally I see them a lot. So they also bore me because of that. The Supra just has a good exotic-type of look to it, which is quite unique. In Europe itself they are also quite rare, making them eyecatching candy when you spot one. In our current electrification stage, producing one type of fish-blob SUV after another, the looks are refreshing.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wife wanted another M car and this was lighter than just about everything BMW makes and cheaper. So this was a no brainer! BMW quality, power to weight ratio and all the track mods available for this car :flame:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Do I get the typical "muh bMw" comments? Ofcourse. Does it bother me? Not really. Those comments only come (in my area) from people that at most could afford older gen Volkswagens.
I get those comments from the clapped out 350z fools. They canā€™t afford to paint their bumpers but can criticize the Supra.

-RJM

Last edited:

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Iā€™ve always been an American V8 guy with a heavy corvette bias since i was a kid. I hated the Supra originally in all honesty but it grew on over time and after my Z06 was wrecked I wanted to try something different and here I am loving it. Is it as fast as the Z06ā€¦ not at all the vette was a better car by almost every metric on paper except for one and that was being enjoyable in real life. It was a legit race car for the street and with Z07 package and comp seats was really too much for just a road car couple that with it being an extremely more expensive car i was so paranoid about driving it i couldnā€™t enjoy itā€¦. The Supra is a sports car for the street and i find it much more enjoyable to actually use in the real world personally and although the Supra is not cheap by any means itā€™s less valuable than the vette wasā€¦ call me crazy but i feel almost guilty driving cars this expensive especially at my young age people always make their assumptions on how or why i have these cars but itā€™s not daddyā€™s money, i wish it was lol, and it def isnā€™t to show off as i drive a 2003 Lincoln hooptie everyday but at the end of the day Iā€™m happy with the choices Iā€™ve made :)
One of the most rational posts on any auto forum I visit. Well said. Keep enjoying what you drive. It is you behind the wheel and no others, at all times. Drive safe, keep that smile. Great post.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Wife wanted another M car and this was lighter than just about everything BMW makes and cheaper. So this was a no brainer! BMW quality, power to weight ratio and all the track mods available for this car :flame:
Yeah was thinking the same thing lol

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Interesting coming for a vette owner. I actually wanted to get the c7, but by the time that I wanted to get one production for the c7 stopped and came in the c8. Since I didnt fully pay for the car myself had to go by my parents rules, and I know I'm spoiled, but still happy how this turned out

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
In our family we've driven a lot of Toyota's and have been (healthy-minded) Toyota fans for a long time now. We never owned any German brands but mostly Japanes/Korean.

Before the Supra I owned a GT86. The fact that Subaru made a lot of the internals for the GT86 was also a non-issue for me. As long as it came from Toyota, and has their approval stamp on it, I felt confident enough to own the vehicle. I had that car for about 7 years until I switched to the Supra.

At first I was kinda skeptical. I wanted to have a fun sportcar that would not break the bank, had higher performance than the GT86 and good emissions. These last 2 things were crucial. In Belgium and most other European countries you will get wrecked by taxes for high-performing cars with bad emissions. On the other hand you will get totally wrecked by yearly vehicle inspections deeming almost all tuning on vehicles to be illegal (even changes that can make your vehicle safer... go figure).

After I test drove the car I felt the same as I test drove the GT86. A feeling of longing to go buy the vehicle. As always I tend to not rush these things and let it simmer for some months until my girlfriend became annoyed of me constantly talking about the car. That pushed me to go out and buy it.

Other than that, I dislike the look of last few generations of BMW's. Locally I see them a lot. So they also bore me because of that. The Supra just has a good exotic-type of look to it, which is quite unique. In Europe itself they are also quite rare, making them eyecatching candy when you spot one. In our current electrification stage, producing one type of fish-blob SUV after another, the looks are refreshing.
Bro I swear I dont get EU emission and stuff, I feel like its over the top, but considering its for the environment cant complain as such. As for the inspection, modifying anything here is completely illegal sooo inspections do get on your nerves, same stuff with warranty doing anything and I mean literally anything to improve the performance of the car even if its harmless or dosent give u that much power completely voids ur warranty. Its annoying as I'm looking for an exhaust and a dp

JST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 Subaru LGT, '21 CX-5 Sig, '22 Supra 3.0
I have never owned a BMW or Toyota before the Supra. I've always owned Mazdas and Subarus, with my most recent being a 21 STI and I daily an 06 LGT.

My STI was totaled the end of last year. I knew I wanted to upgrade, so I had narrowed it down to a new RS3 or Supra. I really liked the styling of the Supra over the RS3, so here I am.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I've also never owned a BMW, my entire past garage lineup has either been Honda (or derivatives like Acura), Mazda, or Chevy. And I've owned everything from itty bitty super light weight toss cars like Miatas to American all grunt V8 muscle cars. What I want now, in what I feel is my last internal combustion car purchase, is something that bridges those elements together.

The Supra is kind of the best choice for me. Short wheelbase like a Miata, brute force like a muscle car, good styling so you don't disappear into traffic like any other mundane squared off bar of soap coupe.

Edit: I'm also not much of a brand, label, or clique snob. I know so many car people who get so trapped inside their little brand loyalty or marque pursuit tendencies. I just want something that checks all the boxes I want and doesn't fall apart two weeks after I buy it.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
why not? cuz its not a 2jz? oooooorrrr its because its german made?
Any reason you can come up with. I made the mistake of going to a different Supra forum before this one when I bought my car and it was pretty clear they had no interest in being kind to the MKV. I don't mind when people voice concerns or are critical about cars as long as they are respectful when doing so. Unfortunately, the level of immaturity was off-putting and childish even by internet car forum standards. I would hope that most previous-gen owners are actually decent and not so toxic in person.
Sponsored