BMW or Toyota

Do you think if your car is a BMW or a Toyota

• Total voters

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
The platform used by both the Supra and Z4 was codeveloped between BMW and Toyota using the Porsche Cayman and Boxster as their benchmark. After the platform was developed, Toyota and BMW went their separate ways to develop their own chassis for their model. The J29 chassis that the Supra utilizes was primarily engineered by Toyota and Gazoo Racing while the Z4 G29 chassis was BMW developed. The Supra's chassis is comparable to the Lexus LFA in torsional rigidity, center of gravity, curb weight, and the golden ratio track width/wheelbase. Though the B58 is BMW derived, Toyota throughly analyzed all components/parts of the engine to ensure it meets Toyota's rigid reliability and durability metrics.

Supra/Z4 codeveloped platform and the Supra Chassis:
IMG_7387.JPG

Supra J29 Chassis:
mechanism02.jpg

20220827_055617.jpg

Z4 G29 Chassis:
diag_ajt7.jpg

In this video, Tetsuya Tada provides an in depth interview of the development of the Supra and the misconceptions associated with the engineering process (skip to the 3:10 minute mark):

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Let's be real for a minute. Pretty much all the major components of the car are from BMW. With that said, many of us actually like BMW so we don't see what the big deal is. If this car isn't for you, go buy something else like a super expensive C8 or a cheap under performing Z.

speaser

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT SE, 2019 TRD 4runner
Plug your VIN in here - https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/

and you'll get this ...

1666527284035.png

There you have it! A Toyota manufactured by BMW. It's not one or the other, it's both.

I like to think of it as the best of both. Well engineered, great performance + reliable, low maintenance.

Nugs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G81 M3 Touring, 2019 Supra GTS
I’ve got noting against Toyota but they haven’t had a proper track car for quite some time. I see BMWs, Porsches, Hondas, Mazdas and Vettes any given weekend. I would have never dreamed of seeing a Toyota at the track. Camry was their flagship vehicle prior to this new Supra. Thank you BMW for putting Toyota back on track ✊🏽
Where I am I see tons of 86s and GR Yaris' at track days.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Where I am I see tons of 86s and GR Yaris' at track days.
True! I forgot about the GR86. Great car. I‘m glad Toyota included them in the free track day with NASA. I saw a ton out there this weekend. But prior to 2020, I’d mainly see BRZs (not sure why) and no Toyotas. What a difference 3 years makes. Kuddo to Toyota for making this giant leap and endorsing their two GR cars (here in the States). I love Mazda, Porsche, Chevy (to name a few) for supporting their flagship cars at the limits - because it will quickly expose the vehicle’s flaws. Now we can add Toyota to the list of companies with the balls to support theirs!

AyeBird

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bagged 9th gen Accord and hopefully, an A90.
True! I forgot about the GR86. Great car. I‘m glad Toyota included them in the free track day with NASA. I saw a ton out there this weekend. But prior to 2020, I’d mainly see BRZs (not sure why) and no Toyotas. What a difference 3 years makes. Kuddo to Toyota for making this giant leap and endorsing their two GR cars (here in the States). I love Mazda, Porsche, Chevy (to name a few) for supporting their flagship cars at the limits - because it will quickly expose the vehicle’s flaws. Now we can add Toyota to the list of companies with the balls to support theirs!
Uhh, I wouldn’t be too sure about that one…

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3537885&postcount=15

I mean granted, Toyota eventually did warranty and said

While the vehicle’s warranty excludes damage that results from activities such as misuse and racing, simply participating in National Auto Sport Association (NASA) High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) or similar NASA instructional events provided complimentary to GR owners would not, in and of itself, void the warranty. Warranty claims are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
It makes me question whether or not Toyota will really stand by their product if a similar situation were to happen at a track/autocross event that isn’t provided by Toyota, especially if they went so far as to look through the owner’s social media to find reason to deny warranty.

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
TOYOTA.

Parts bin made by BMW.
Tuned & created by Toyota.

Those who say it is a BMW doesn’t really know & understand the history of the car. Why it was made and how it came to be. Akio Toyoda & Tetsuya Tada devoted their time, effort & will-power bringing out this car, which we all are enjoying right now. Just be thankful & show some little respect. Without Toyota, this will not be possible. Toyota was humble enough to admit that BMW parts were good, but they showed how it needs to be done.

Just to be clear Magna Steyr is NOT BMW. It is in Austria, not Germany. It makes cars for alot of car companies including Mercedes, Jaguar & Aston Martin to name a few. So to allude it is “MADE by BMW” is again being ignorant.

We all know Toyota made the BETTER car out of BMW parts.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Some of those mkiv jackasses own both cars and some even moderate this forum lol. 😂
Ayeee I don't hate. If they're a friend of the MKV they're a friend of me lol. Mostly referring to those on Supra Forums who hate on the MKV and are toxic