Borla Atak on 2021 Problem...

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
So i am a proud owner of a Borla Atak on my 2021. Love the sound...

HOWEVER, there is one problem. There is a spring that BMW refers to as the fixing bow. It connects the valve actuator motor to the butterfly valve in the exhaust. The problem is that with the alignment of the fixing bow, there is an interference with the bow portion of the spring when the valve rotates to the sport position. I guestimate that there is perhaps only 10 or 15 degrees of opening of the valve before the bow is obstructed by the valve mounting structure. So the valve remains just slight opened in the sport position as opposed to WIDE open.

I made Borla aware of the situation shortly after I installed it (5 weeks now). The tech rep said hey would pass it on to R&D. He stated that Toyota must have changed the exhaust from 2020 to 2021 as this was the correct alignment for the 2020 models. When I emailed them back he said they were looking for a solution. Have not heard back since and no replies to my emails.

Decided to take matters in my own hands and have two solutions that might work...

First, I ordered another fixing bow and will attempt to bend the bow at an approximate 45 degree angle so it will not interfere on the actuator support structure. Don't know if I need to anneal and them retemper the spring to make this work. Might just attempt to cold bend it in a vise.

Secondly, I could weld legs onto the actuator support and them cut out the original areas that are interfering. Not really wanting to go there, but if Borla doesn't come through or the first option fails I might need to.

So... anyone else have this same issue??? How have you dealt with it??? Anyone else have opinions or other avenues to try??? I really want to hear what this thing is supposed to sound like, and I wonder if the backpressure created with only one exit (through the muffler) is detrimental to the longevity of my Supra...

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Man take a heavy duty wire hanger...cut a piece off...bend it into a horseshoe shape...fit on to the flapper side of exhaust tip...check for full open n close...trim as needed...now add the actuator....

Have you actually disassembled the actuator from the valve?
It really is not that complicated...
As soon as see where the fixing bow is hitting you can adjust it accordingly...

You really dont need anything fancy to fix the issue...something strong enough to fit into the 2 notches...it's held together by compression...

Steve

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra
Any update? I was really leaning towards this exhaust.

OP
OP

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
Any update? I was really leaning towards this exhaust.
Tried to get hold of Borla a couple of times with no success. Finally took matters into my own hands...

When my spare fixing bow showed up, I chucked it up in a bench vise and slowly bent it on itself ultimately to about a 90 degree angle. Didn't require any heat, just cold bent it. Now, when the actuator rotates the fixing bow, it clears the support structure and fully opens!!

Been that way for the past month with no issues, so quite an easy fix. If I thought it sounded great with only a partially opened valve before, then now.... all I can say is WOW!

My only disappointment was that Borla never followed up with me. All I would suggest is that they include a modified fixing bow with each exhaust system so it would work on all model years...

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
The only thing they did was tell vendors that the exhaust only works on 2020 models.

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Has anyone heard anything from Borla since this thread was last updated?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Has anyone heard anything from Borla since this thread was last updated?
I guess there goes my interest in the Borla Atak exhaust system for my 2023 A91 6MT. Not a fan of Borla's customer service or how they handled the situation.

apatel471

First Name
Ankit
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Tried to get hold of Borla a couple of times with no success. Finally took matters into my own hands...

When my spare fixing bow showed up, I chucked it up in a bench vise and slowly bent it on itself ultimately to about a 90 degree angle. Didn't require any heat, just cold bent it. Now, when the actuator rotates the fixing bow, it clears the support structure and fully opens!!

Been that way for the past month with no issues, so quite an easy fix. If I thought it sounded great with only a partially opened valve before, then now.... all I can say is WOW!

My only disappointment was that Borla never followed up with me. All I would suggest is that they include a modified fixing bow with each exhaust system so it would work on all model years...
Installing this now, could you take a picture of how you bent the clip so I can replicate it? Thanks!

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Borla catback, 2021, no issue with the valve opening and closing. Make sure you are installing the spring in the correct orientation

Screenshot_20240127-193317_Photos.jpg

PASupra85

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Ascent, 2022 Prius, 2023 Supra (deposit)
@Branflakes123 . What are your impressions of the Borla exhaust? I keep going back and forth between this, the Injen and Dinan.

Edit: I just now noticed that the Borla website only details model years 2020-2022… I wonder if they just haven’t gotten around to testing the 2023 yet

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Depends on what your goals are, but I think the Borla is great if you want more sound than stock and a valve to switch to "quiet mode". Loud when you want it, quiet when you don't. There is a lot of sound deadening catalytic converter, so it's generally not obnoxiously loud imo.

If you even plan to get a catless downpipe, I would not recommend an exhaust, just the downpipe is enough

apatel471

First Name
Ankit
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Borla catback, 2021, no issue with the valve opening and closing. Make sure you are installing the spring in the correct orientation

Screenshot_20240127-193317_Photos.jpg
If you have a moment could you snap a picture of the spring orientation? I have a 2022 but am having trouble aligning the spring

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
If you have a moment could you snap a picture of the spring orientation? I have a 2022 but am having trouble aligning the spring
Don't have access to my car in the winter, that picture is from an old video, but there are only 4 ways to orient the spring. Try them all. You can flip it around backwards, I believe that's what I had to do
Sponsored