Sponsored

Borla vs AWE track/non res touring vs Dinan

Borla vs AWE track/non res touring vs Dinan

  • Borla

  • AWE

  • Dinan


Results are only viewable after voting.

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Hey guys, I've been looking to swap exhausts. After extensive research I've narrowed down my search to these exhausts. Which one would you guys go with? How do they compare with each other. Soundclips are always welcome.

P.S I would've gone with AWE with no hesitation if it came with a valve. Since it has no valve I'm really on the fence about it and thus considering Borla and Dinan.
Sponsored

 

BMWAF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2022
Threads
71
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
4,557
Location
In orbit
Car(s)
A90 Supra; FN2 CTR
I went with AWE Touring and am very happy with it. I found most other exhausts sound very raspy and well.. the same.

If you want a sound comparison, there's a YoutTube video with about a billion different Supra exhausts featured which you may want to watch. In all honesty, I didn't find it very helpful as after the tenth example, they all started to sound pretty much the same to me but YMMV. 😅

With regards to the lack of a valve on the AWE, on Australian cars the valve is pretty much useless out of the box, so it was a non-issue for me. Some will tell you that your right foot is your valve and they're not really wrong. If you want a better solution however, tune your car with MHD, and set Sport and Comfort to different noise levels, which will essentially emulate a valved setup. This works great by the way!

The only advice I'd give is just pick whatever you like, irrespective of what people say. And if you do go an AWE system, be sure to stick to AWE's recommendations about which one to pair with your downpipe setup - they're 100% on the money.

Best of luck with it.
 

Subydude

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 25, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
202
Reaction score
135
Location
Cayce, SC
Car(s)
Too many
I have the borla valved exhaust on mine. More or less stock noise levels with the valve closed, and a solid exhaust note with it open. The only thing I have to complain about is the valve will rattle on cold start. I've tried bending the spring for more tension and it helps, but doesn't completely solve the rattle.

I did a few small road trips between tracks this year and would leave the valve open via the MHD software for the road. It was fine, but you can hear it on the freeway (on stock tires). On 71RZ's the tire noise drowns out the exhaust note. I've thought about telling it to leave the exhaust open all the time even around town, but having the stock (stealth) mode option available is nice for early mornings or late nights.

I haven't had other exhausts on the car, but of all the ones I've heard so far the Borla has one of the better, if not best, noise. This is on the stock downpipe as well, and I'm sure it would sound different with an aftermarket DP.
 

mmspider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
128
Reaction score
135
Location
SE Michigan
Car(s)
2026 Supra Manual
I just had the AWE non res installed on my car a few weeks ago.

I would ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish with the valve?

For me I looked at all of these systems and went AWE non res on stock downpipe. I listened to tons of systems online and felt the AWE had the best tone and volume increase. Came very close to the
Dinan. But I read even with the valved systems you still get loud cold starts. Even after the cold start I probably would always have the valves open most of the time anways. So what is the real point of having a valve?

I think what a lot of valved people don`t understand is that the B58 is actually not that loud when driven lightly. They think a valve is needed to keep it quiet, which I can tell you after driving the AWE system is not the case. I can pull into my sub late night and you would barely hear me drive by.

If you plan to go downpipe you can also just get the resonated version.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
[/QUOTE]
I went with AWE Touring and am very happy with it. I found most other exhausts sound very raspy and well.. the same.

If you want a sound comparison, there's a YoutTube video with about a billion different Supra exhausts featured which you may want to watch. In all honesty, I didn't find it very helpful as after the tenth example, they all started to sound pretty much the same to me but YMMV. 😅

With regards to the lack of a valve on the AWE, on Australian cars the valve is pretty much useless out of the box, so it was a non-issue for me. Some will tell you that your right foot is your valve and they're not really wrong. If you want a better solution however, tune your car with MHD, and set Sport and Comfort to different noise levels, which will essentially emulate a valved setup. This works great by the way!

The only advice I'd give is just pick whatever you like, irrespective of what people say. And if you do go an AWE system, be sure to stick to AWE's recommendations about which one to pair with your downpipe setup - they're 100% on the money.

Best of luck with it.
Yeah that exhaust video had every exhaust except the borla and dinan.

Why is the valve useless on Australian cars?

I don't plan on tuning my car yet, so that isnt really an option.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
I have the borla valved exhaust on mine. More or less stock noise levels with the valve closed, and a solid exhaust note with it open. The only thing I have to complain about is the valve will rattle on cold start. I've tried bending the spring for more tension and it helps, but doesn't completely solve the rattle.

I did a few small road trips between tracks this year and would leave the valve open via the MHD software for the road. It was fine, but you can hear it on the freeway (on stock tires). On 71RZ's the tire noise drowns out the exhaust note. I've thought about telling it to leave the exhaust open all the time even around town, but having the stock (stealth) mode option available is nice for early mornings or late nights.

I haven't had other exhausts on the car, but of all the ones I've heard so far the Borla has one of the better, if not best, noise. This is on the stock downpipe as well, and I'm sure it would sound different with an aftermarket DP.
How much louder is it in sport mode compared to the stock exhaust? How is the cold start?

I have the stock downpipe as well. Do you mind sharing some soundclips? Thanks.
 

Meraki Autoworks

Well-Known Member
Silver Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Threads
164
Messages
2,134
Reaction score
774
Location
Orange County, CA
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you absolutely want valves then I say Borla is great out of those choices.

We carry all 3 brands with all 3 in stock and can make you a deal on either.

-Josh
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
I just had the AWE non res installed on my car a few weeks ago.

I would ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish with the valve?

For me I looked at all of these systems and went AWE non res on stock downpipe. I listened to tons of systems online and felt the AWE had the best tone and volume increase. Came very close to the
Dinan. But I read even with the valved systems you still get loud cold starts. Even after the cold start I probably would always have the valves open most of the time anways. So what is the real point of having a valve?

I think what a lot of valved people don`t understand is that the B58 is actually not that loud when driven lightly. They think a valve is needed to keep it quiet, which I can tell you after driving the AWE system is not the case. I can pull into my sub late night and you would barely hear me drive by.

If you plan to go downpipe you can also just get the resonated version.
I like the idea of being able to control the volume with the valve and hearing the difference from valve open/closed.

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "came very close to Dinan". Isn't AWE the loudest?
 

Subydude

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 25, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
202
Reaction score
135
Location
Cayce, SC
Car(s)
Too many
How much louder is it in sport mode compared to the stock exhaust? How is the cold start?

I have the stock downpipe as well. Do you mind sharing some soundclips? Thanks.
It's loud enough that you can actually hear the car on track, which was my goal. Cold start (with the valve open) is much louder, but not unbearably so. I fired the car up when it was an open down pipe and the Borla is actually about the same with the valve open since it's a straight non-resonated pipe otherwise.

I don't have any sitting still videos, but here's one from a track day where the Garmin didn't capture excessive wind noise:

I really like it overall and would buy it again. While others are right that the car can be driven quietly with an open exhaust, I like having the valve as an option because it really makes the car as quiet as stock if you want.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
It's loud enough that you can actually hear the car on track, which was my goal. Cold start (with the valve open) is much louder, but not unbearably so. I fired the car up when it was an open down pipe and the Borla is actually about the same with the valve open since it's a straight non-resonated pipe otherwise.

I don't have any sitting still videos, but here's one from a track day where the Garmin didn't capture excessive wind noise:

I really like it overall and would buy it again. While others are right that the car can be driven quietly with an open exhaust, I like having the valve as an option because it really makes the car as quiet as stock if you want.
Got it, thanks for sharing the footage. Would you say cold start with the valve open is disturbing any neighbors?
 

mmspider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
128
Reaction score
135
Location
SE Michigan
Car(s)
2026 Supra Manual
I like the idea of being able to control the volume with the valve and hearing the difference from valve open/closed.

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "came very close to Dinan". Isn't AWE the loudest?
I came very close to buying the Dinan not that it was close in sound. I liked how it was designed more than any other valved system on the market. Its kind of like the Borla but it looks like it can bypass the muffler more. If I am going valved I that`s what I would buy.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
If you absolutely want valves then I say Borla is great out of those choices.

We carry all 3 brands with all 3 in stock and can make you a deal on either.

-Josh
Thanks for letting me know. What can you do for the Borla and AWE track/non res touring?
 

Meraki Autoworks

Well-Known Member
Silver Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Threads
164
Messages
2,134
Reaction score
774
Location
Orange County, CA
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Thanks for letting me know. What can you do for the Borla and AWE track/non res touring?
Message or text me. Tip preference and location.

-Josh
 

swrdply400mrelay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2022
Threads
27
Messages
949
Reaction score
514
Location
SoCal
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Messaged you.
Can't compare to the other exhausts since I haven't heard them IRL, but I have a Dinan. Cold start is still loud, but with valve closed it's very similar to stock unless you get past 4k RPM, then it's noticeably louder than stock.

With the valve opened, it's a straight pipe with no resonators.

This is with stock down pipe, first 2 revs in normal, last 2 revs in sport:

Sponsored

 
 








Top