Zhupra_

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra 3.0 GTS
Good evening folks,

I have a unlocked 2-port Supra, i have pretty much have most of the simple Bolt ons except the Downpipe (that is sitting in my garage) (Chargepipe, Exhaust, Intake)

Has anyone tested the OTS BM3 tunes? 91 or 93 etc. I come from the Subaru realm where OTS tunes were a sin and should always get it dynod. i am at a understanding that Bm3 stage 1/2 tunes are safe but if you want to go bigger power/more complicated mods like turbos,fuel you must go custom tuned.

Q: How safe is Bm3? is it suitable for daily driver? (i dont drive hard at all, just want a little big more unlocked pep)
Q: what are some things that COULD go wrong with BM3? (engine failure?) since i am throwing away the warranty.. haha
Q:Should Different oil from the factory GR oil be used? thicker weight?
Cheers everyone!
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
BM3 stage 2 OTS
I run Map 3
I fill with E50

OTS tunes are very safe on this platform as the tunes are built conservatively using ECU data from thousands of cars. These ECUs have way more data and capability than what you and I would see in a Subaru. Compared to most cars, these BMW ECMs feel like standalones.

Custom tuning is required if you want to run a larger turbo, run meth, or extract more performance from the car than what OTS would provide.

Run 5W40.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
I ran BM3 on my previous F80 for 2 yrs. Simple safe stg1 tune for over 28k miles
The DME on the new BMWs are very good compared to the old ECU Flash tuned EJ25 that need 4 hrs of Dyno tune not to blow themselves up

KAREEMMK5

First Name
Kareem
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mk5
Good evening folks,

I have a unlocked 2-port Supra, i have pretty much have most of the simple Bolt ons except the Downpipe (that is sitting in my garage) (Chargepipe, Exhaust, Intake)

Has anyone tested the OTS BM3 tunes? 91 or 93 etc. I come from the Subaru realm where OTS tunes were a sin and should always get it dynod. i am at a understanding that Bm3 stage 1/2 tunes are safe but if you want to go bigger power/more complicated mods like turbos,fuel you must go custom tuned.

Q: How safe is Bm3? is it suitable for daily driver? (i dont drive hard at all, just want a little big more unlocked pep)
Q: what are some things that COULD go wrong with BM3? (engine failure?) since i am throwing away the warranty.. haha
Q:Should Different oil from the factory GR oil be used? thicker weight?
Cheers everyone!
6 port supra here running stage 2 93 OTS. No issues.. power is lovely!

Manny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 & Lexus RC F
Catless dp stage 2 93 since 2019..no issues and enjoy it very much. Looking forward to their flex fuel solution.

7sstreet

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
2 port supra, ran OTS E50 for a year daily driving, then got a flex fuel kit and running a BM3 custom tune now with Map Switching, Antilag and Flex fuel. Love driving the car every day as well as BM3, zero tune related issues.

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
Running 91 oct Stage 2 with catless dp on my 2020. No issues. Had an issue with 93 Oct map hitting transmission torque limits. 91 is plenty fast for me and gives me a bit of a margin.

QQ520TT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Solara, FRS, Prius
Stage 1 E35 Currently. I have 6 ports B58, over 12000 miles with BM3. Have tried 91, 93, E35 tune, no issue so far.

Power increase was proved by Draggy. 1/4 mile top speed at 120 vs 115 on 91. 2s better 60-130 vs stock tune.

404nd2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla MYP | 2020 Supra
BM3 Stage 1 91. I've got about 20 hours of seat time this year on this particular calibration, Seems fine. I run 93 just to be safe. I've looked at a few dynos with this map and the AFR seemed pretty safe, much better than the factory calibrations for sure. I'll be running the stage 2 OTS with an AMS catted downpipe at an upcoming track day, if I experience some odd behaviors I will report back.

I plan on getting a custom map afterwards to tune out the OTS throttle sensitivity. It comes on like a 4Runner with a pedal commander, a bit challenging to work with on track.

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
Just to add to the anecdotes, I’ve tan BM3 on my F30 for years and have never had an issue. PTF. Know what they’re doing. Decided on Ecutek for the Supra tho.

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I was looking at BM3 but....

QUESTION: I hear that if you have a 2020 ( pre June - tunable ECU) then BM3 is a plug-n-play option BUT if your dealer flashes the ECU for the brake issue update then the ECU is now locked and requires bench unlock ... thing is if you refuse update then Toyota may void parts of your warranty ...

is this true ?

BM3 site appears to agree ( or am i reading it wrong .. )

"" ***2020 Supra Models with November 2019+ software require a bench unlock. If you have November 2019 software update, feel free to contact support ""

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
I was looking at BM3 but....

QUESTION: I hear that if you have a 2020 ( pre June - tunable ECU) then BM3 is a plug-n-play option BUT if your dealer flashes the ECU for the brake issue update then the ECU is now locked and requires bench unlock ... thing is if you refuse update then Toyota may void parts of your warranty ...

is this true ?

BM3 site appears to agree ( or am i reading it wrong .. )

"" ***2020 Supra Models with November 2019+ software require a bench unlock. If you have November 2019 software update, feel free to contact support ""
Yes it will relock your ECU, requiring a bench flash.

I had my car in for trans leak covered under warranty and I refused the update no issue when they brought up the recall. Toyota is not going to mess with you ab it.

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Yes it will relock your ECU, requiring a bench flash.

I had my car in for trans leak covered under warranty and I refused the update no issue when they brought up the recall. Toyota is not going to mess with you ab it.

...thanks Piggyback for me then for the Supra...

BTW i had BM3 on my M4 and it was superb !!